The Instrument For Which I Had Hoped

LoboLives

Re: The Instrument For Which I Had Hoped
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
I suppose to borrow the best bits from the Korg Microsampler, early Ensoniq samplers and DSI everything else and you have a very capable sampler!

Personally, I like the approach of not having to hook up an editor to get to guts of the sampling technology either.

So the balance between complexity and streamlined simplicity!

Hopefully something is in the pipeline in that regard.

That would be one sampler I would give very careful consideration to!

Agreed. I honestly think that how a lot of Nord stuff works or even the sampling into stuff like the Kronos or Kurzweil is almost too much work and takes far too long that not many people even bother with the feature. So I think the market would actually actually well towards it. Especially if the price was decent which is why I suggest Pioneer doing it to help keep costs down. Even a four octave synth would be fine for me.

Just take the idea of the Emulator ii but replace the floppy discs or CD Rom drives with a USB port that so as you put a USB stick in it it automatically loads the samples and then you can determine if they are lopped, mapped, one shot, gated etc just like the Microsampler. Add some on board effects and a 8 track sequencer and you are good to go.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 10:23:17 PM »
I suppose to borrow the best bits from the Korg Microsampler, early Ensoniq samplers and DSI everything else and you have a very capable sampler!

Personally, I like the approach of not having to hook up an editor to get to guts of the sampling technology either.

Agreed. I honestly think that how a lot of Nord stuff works or even the sampling into stuff like the Kronos or Kurzweil is almost too much work and takes far too long that not many people even bother with the feature. So I think the market would actually actually well towards it. Especially if the price was decent which is why I suggest Pioneer doing it to help keep costs down. Even a four octave synth would be fine for me.

Just take the idea of the Emulator ii but replace the floppy discs or CD Rom drives with a USB port that so as you put a USB stick in it it automatically loads the samples and then you can determine if they are lopped, mapped, one shot, gated etc just like the Microsampler. Add some on board effects and a 8 track sequencer and you are good to go.

Good points.

Let's wait and see then.

Tim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:57 AM »

Agree... the more hands-on it could be, the better... it will involve some menu diving I guess, but it could be held to a minimum... that is why I would probably prefer the P6 layout since it's more limited, but have all parameters out on knobs and buttons... I HATE two-function knobs and sliders... too much of that would put me off... it's basically a performance sampler I'm looking for, not a sound-designers sampler with myriads of functions... just the essentials.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 11:04:34 PM »

Agree... the more hands-on it could be, the better... it will involve some menu diving I guess, but it could be held to a minimum... that is why I would probably prefer the P6 layout since it's more limited, but have all parameters out on knobs and buttons... I HATE two-function knobs and sliders... too much of that would put me off... it's basically a performance sampler I'm looking for, not a sound-designers sampler with myriads of functions... just the essentials.

For me it would have to have some type of multi track sequencing on it as well.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 02:22:03 AM »

I believe the P6 have just that? :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »
The P6 would probably appear to be most suitable to merge into the next DSI keyboard sampler. 

Considering the P6 filter is used on the Toraiz then seems the natural choice for the full size keyboard version.
Tim

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
Sounds like a great product - hopefully DSI are thinking in that direction as well...

LoboLives

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »

I believe the P6 have just that? :)

No it's just a poly sequencer. I mean a multitimbral sequencer like on the SP-16

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:54 AM »
I hope DSI do pursue the keyboard performance sampler that a lot of us may be hoping for!

I am saving my pennies in anticipation of a Prophet 2000 keyboard version  V/2018 so to speak.

Until then, the Korg Microsampler does the sampling duties here and it has its obvious limits but is a great starting point for DSI techs/R&D.

If using the Microsampler as the benchmark may I suggest a dynamic use of memory as opposed to the set amount per bank!

Having the basic options of Loop points start/end/normalise/BPM tempo sync ect should be front panel set with encoders or pots.

I actually love the front panel XLR jack for the gooseneck mic on the Korg but would others think it's ok to lose some  front panel controls for the XLR input?

I think Razmo is on the money when he says a " Performance sampler" as opposed to the sound designers sampler but just my 2 cents worth.

Hope DSI has a sampler to fill the obvious hardware void in the not too distant future.

Tim

Tim

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:52 AM »
The argument against hardware samplers on other threads within this forum and elsewhere is (with respect) that software can do a better job (and it can within the computer system) but the reality is that if that were the case synthesis could be done better also and the hardware market has not had the acorn drop from the sky yet!

Just a thought!

Tim

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »
The argument against hardware samplers on other threads within this forum and elsewhere is (with respect) that software can do a better job (and it can within the computer system) but the reality is that if that were the case synthesis could be done better also and the hardware market has not had the acorn drop from the sky yet!

Just a thought!

That's not entirely true - editing and sample management is definitely made easier with software in a computer environment, but that doesn't imply that a hardware sampler can't stream samples through, say, an analogue filter efficiently–certainly they can.

Nor does it imply that there aren't, for some sampling workflows, hardware approaches to editing that are intuitive, e.g., the Akai S612 loop-start / -end sliders.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
My old e5kultra was both a performance sampler and a programmer's sampler.  Could be used as a dynamic semi-rompuler or a complete sample workstation.  The only thing I found a computer made easier was naming, but with a ps2 keyboard that was not even an issue.

Now, I know that the E4Kultra range is overkill for what y'all are throwing around, but it's a good example of high quality sampling within a hardware box.  The filters are incredible on those things also.

Nor does it imply that there aren't, for some sampling workflows, hardware approaches to editing that are intuitive, e.g., the Akai S612 loop-start / -end sliders.

Oh they were fun, especially when flipping the slider sides into reverse play.  So noisy, so dirty, so easy to use without a manual!  Too bad the disc format was pretty much abandon by the end of the 80's.
I really think that when using screens like that on a micoSampler or ES2, sliders for start/end points would give that immediate control that one wants for live sampling.  Even with samplers made for in-the-box editing, for all the joy a large screen that can display waveforms brings, trying to edit on-the-fly using my MV8000 is not really feasible.  The e5k was more usable in that way when left operating in sample edit mode but you couldn't quickly create a complete multi-assigned performance patch and was more like working with an Akai S612 (which I was quite happy with doing).

Oh yeah, I bought a Microgranny recently which has some very unique concepts for a hardware sampler (or granular synth as it's being sold as).  One function is to spread the "grains" of the sample across the keyboard, which essentially creates a multi-assign sampled instrument instantly, avoiding frequency stretch/compression that limits the usable keyboard range when assigning one sample to the entire 10 octaves.  The MG isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination; it's monophonic, the onboard mic is activated by a clicking button which slaps a thud into the attack of every sample it captures, it uses 1/8" jacks for everything bar MIDI, but it's an interesting take on the live hardware sampler which can be successfully run in a improvising situation.  Using such an engine as the basis for a more complete sampling instrument with analogue elements also in the flow would be wonderful.