Headphone jack as output

Headphone jack as output
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
hi,
just got my rev2 and found out there is no mono-output.

thus, i wonder:
1) which jack should i use when playing the rev2 through a loudspeaker?  the headphone jack? or any of the stereo outputs? should i then also change to "mono" in the global meny?

2) what are the differences between the stereo A outputs and the stereo B outputs?

thanks a lot for helping me with this question!

/a

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Headphone jack as output
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
Congratulations on your Rev2, Alex.  Check the Globals for the mono-stereo setting.

1) You should run your instrument through the Main/A Output jacks.  If you're using only one speaker, then you might want to set it to mono in order to even out the layer volumes in two-layer patches.  The headphone output works at the same time.

2) The B Outputs are used for separating the A and B layers, either to pan them or to process them differently.  In other words, once they're separated, you can treat the layers differently at your mixer or with pedals and effects.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:29:18 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »
Congratulations on your Rev2, Alex.  Check the Globals for the mono-stereo setting.

1) You should run your instrument through the Main/A Output jacks.  If you're using only one speaker, then you might want to set it to mono in order to even out the layer volumes in two-layer patches.  The headphone output works at the same time.

2) The B Outputs are used for separating the A and B layers, either to pan them or to process them differently.  In other words, once they're separated, you can treat the layers differently at your mixer or with pedals and effects.

thanks for your reply!

yeah, actually well many times i will use it with one speaker.
so do i understand you right then, that when doing this I should:
– set it to mono in the global meny
– use just one of the main / A output jacks, doesn't matter if it's left or right.

or

– keep it stereo in the global settings, and
– use this kind of cable and plug it to the speaker: https://www.trumslagaren.se/product/grenkabel-y-kabel-tele-2-tele?referer=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEiwAvLBbosPQeF_omXbJ201nXyVU1zYKyXrIkFR5CP73xMvIgaUxZeZY0p-xrRoCfBMQAvD_BwE

and also, sorry, but i don't really get what you mean with:
"The headphone output works at the same time." 
do you just mean  that it "functions" at the same time as the main/ A output (that it's possible to plug in headphones at the same time as using the stereo outputs); or do you mean that i can use it as a "mono" output? (before posting my question i must admit i actually plugged a normal guitartelecable from the headphone jack to a loudspeaker and at least sound came out :) hope i didn't destroyed anything by doing this?)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
When you're using one speaker, set the Globals to Mono.  Then you can use either one or both the right and left jacks of the Main/A Output.  The sound will be the same.

Regarding the headphone jack, I only meant that if you take the signal from the main output jacks and run it to the speaker, the headphone jack will still work independently and at the same time.  Obvious enough.  And (I'm assuming) the headphone output is either stereo or mono, dependent on your Global setting. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:24:45 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
Almost.  When you're using one speaker, set the Globals to Mono, but use both the right and left jacks of the Main/A Output.

Regarding the headphone jack, I only meant that if you take the signal from the main output jacks and run it to the speaker, the headphone jack will still work independently and at the same time.  Obvious enough.  And (I'm assuming) the headphone output is either stereo or mono, dependent on your Global setting.

Okey! Thing is, my amplifier (a roland jazz chorus)  has only one input (or rather one "high" and one "low"). But then a cable as the one on the link i sent maybe would be preferable? And I also sense that the best thing would always be to use line signals and PA-systems, not amplifiers....

The reason one should not use the headphone jack as line out is just because it can distort the headphone-output, right?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
Yes, that cable would work.  However, you'll find that the sound of the Rev2 will be greatly improved if you use two cables running to two speakers, whether PA or amp/speaker combinations in each unit.  The stereo signal will make the instrument come alive, whereas in mono, the sound is a bit confined and lifeless.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:52:02 AM by Sacred Synthesis »