Ratcheting and chaining

LoboLives

Ratcheting and chaining
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:14:02 AM »
I'm really looking at getting a sequencer these days or at least a few of them. I'm big on the sequencing methods of Tangerine Dream and I'm curious if the sequencer on the Pro 2 can ratchet steps and also chain together sequences or should I be looking at a stand alone sequencer for this type of techniques?

Re: Ratcheting and chaining
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:42:44 AM »
When people say ratcheting what are they meaning exactly?   I may be doing that on mine and not even knowing it.

Yes, I know it can chain at least one sequence,  but I never tried more.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »
When people say ratcheting what are they meaning exactly?

The ratchet option allows you to repeat a note one or multiple times per step.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
I'm really looking at getting a sequencer these days or at least a few of them. I'm big on the sequencing methods of Tangerine Dream and I'm curious if the sequencer on the Pro 2 can ratchet steps and also chain together sequences or should I be looking at a stand alone sequencer for this type of techniques?

The Pro 2's sequencer does not provide a ratchet option like the one you find on the Sub 37 or the Two Voice Pro for example. It only allows the notes of an arpeggio to be repeated up to 3 times.

You can chain together sequences with the cue function. This is what the manual says about it:

Cue lets you continuously run the sequencer while you switch from program to program. The sequence and sound associated with each program will play until it reaches its end, then change to the next program (and the sequence associated with it). If you save multiple versions of the same program, each with a different sequence, you can use Cue to switch through them in real time, effectively stringing multiple sequences together to create a “song” in real time.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »

The Pro 2's sequencer does not provide a ratchet option like the one you find on the Sub 37 or the Two Voice Pro for example. It only allows the notes of an arpeggio to be repeated up to 3 times.

You can chain together sequences with the cue function. This is what the manual says about it:

Cue lets you continuously run the sequencer while you switch from program to program. The sequence and sound associated with each program will play until it reaches its end, then change to the next program (and the sequence associated with it). If you save multiple versions of the same program, each with a different sequence, you can use Cue to switch through them in real time, effectively stringing multiple sequences together to create a “song” in real time.

Darn.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:34:31 AM »
Darn.

You could, however, easily emulate the ratchet effect with the help of a square wave LFO that, for example, controls the oscillator levels. Just set the LFO's frequency to a synced clock division timing and have its amount controlled by the steps at which ratcheting should occur. Or: have each step modulate that LFO at full so that you can easily activate or deactivate the ratcheting for each step on the fly by pressing the step buttons. Easy fix.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:44:06 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:43:34 AM »
Darn.

You could, however, easily emulate the ratchet effect with the help of a square wave LFO that, for example, controls the oscillator levels. Just set the LFO's frequency to a synced clock division timing and have its amount controlled by the steps at which ratcheting should occur. Or: have each step modulate that LFO at full so that you can easily activate or deactivate the ratcheting for each step on the fly by pressing the step buttons. Easy fix.

Yeah I was hoping to have a hands free solution. It's a good idea though....I think honestly...I'm going to pull the trigger on the Two Voice Pro...everything else is just me trying to get a cheaper/easier solution but the sequencer on the Two Voice Pro is perfect plus you get that amazing SEM sound. I need to stop kidding myself, suck it up and just do it.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
Darn.

Not sure if this would work somewhat-  Delays being set short, synced to bpm and sequenced only to sound on certain notes.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
Darn.

Not sure if this would work somewhat-  Delays being set short, synced to bpm and sequenced only to sound on certain notes.

That would only work if the note length determined by the VCA envelope settings is short enough. Otherwise you'd just get a note held for a step plus some delay, which would sound different from a ratcheting effect. And if you'd go for a rather percussive VCA setting, it would affect all notes in the sequence, unless you make sure that the steps where the delay should come into play also influence the VCA envelope settings (from longer to shorter duration). It could be done this way without question, but it would definitely take more effort.