note duration in sequencer

note duration in sequencer
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Hello all, first off, thanks for welcoming me to the community. I just got a Prophet 6 and I'm having a blast. Looking forward to contributing to the community in any way that I can.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the sequencer.
I want the notes to run into each other so that they sound legato.
There is a pause between each note or chord in the sequence as it stands now. I understand how to tie notes or chords together as well as how to change the note value but this is something different. I also understand that I can increase the release but this is different as well. Assuming that I have a long sustain, shouldn't the chords/notes run up against each other?

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
Re: note duration in sequencer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:39:49 PM »
There is a pause between each note or chord in the sequence as it stands now. I understand how to tie notes or chords together as well as how to change the note value but this is something different. I also understand that I can increase the release but this is different as well. Assuming that I have a long sustain, shouldn't the chords/notes run up against each other?

unfortunately I don't think this is possible :-\. if you use unison mode and increase the release you can get the effect monophonically but I don't think it's possible polyphonically with this synth because of the way the voices are allocated. It would be a dream come true to have a poly II function like the Juno 106 does where this would be possible because of the way the voices reset after all notes are released.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »
Hey MMYYKK, Thanks for the explanation.
That explains it and I'll stop pulling my hair out trying to make this work.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
Wanted to bounce this to the top of the page to find out if it is really still true, that you cannot create a legato sequence...
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
Hello all, first off, thanks for welcoming me to the community. I just got a Prophet 6 and I'm having a blast. Looking forward to contributing to the community in any way that I can.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the sequencer.

The following all applies to Poly mode because I hardly ever use Unison mode (maybe I should try some of those sounds!)

I've just tried it on my Prophet-6. I already know it can be done on the P6 arpeggiator easily by adjusting the amplifier and filter envelopes especially the releases to make them longer because I never stop playing with the P6 arpeggiator, which is more useful than that on the OB6 because the OB6 has one annoying omission, that is playing a given note twice in a sequence.

So after trying the P6 sequencer, I think the answer is YES, as it is with the arpeggiator. Setting the release time, particular on he Amp envelope to be quite high, you can get a polyphonic effect because you hear the releases of the last 6 notes, which is really very cool and one of my favourite things about playing the synth. This is even though the arp is essentially monophonic, you still get the poly effect because of the release tails (and also from any digital delay / bucket brigade delay echoes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJKWMhDa8oY&list=PLkDrBr6YDpo5MvG_DZFYHXPsBxbl7mUI7&index=9&t=0s
Making a lot of noise! :-) Jamming on the arpeggiator with lots of resonance!!!

OK, then these, much more subdued:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SJJLvJlU4&list=PLkDrBr6YDpo5MvG_DZFYHXPsBxbl7mUI7&index=2
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp9ReaQyhas&list=PLkDrBr6YDpo5MvG_DZFYHXPsBxbl7mUI7&index=1
without HOLD on the arpeggiator, the others had "hold" on so I could piddle around with the panel controls.

Great thing with the Prophet-6 is then you can do filter sweeps onthe "chords" even though the arpeggiator is monophonic. Of course the sequencer is polyphonic but I like the arp more because you can just play it live without recording and playing back.

If you have no release time on, the "gate time" of each note on the arpeggiator or sequcner sounds like about 50% of the beat. Not sure if this varies with the tempo or not. Obviously though, the slower the beat otr tempo, the more likely a given sound is to die away before the next note is played so for slower tempi, you will probably need more release time to sound legato.

Another thing is that if you have quite a lot of filter envelope amount and a filter envelope with short decay time or an amplifier envelope with short decay time (and attacks on either) with the SUSTAIN KNOBS set low, the sound will be more staccato as well.

Set an arpeggio going on hold or record a sequence and have a good jam playing the envelope controls and the filter env amount knob on the low pass especially. One of the great things about the P6 is that both filter and amp envelopes are one above the other and you can instantly compare them and see how they compare with each other when you're making, or just finding by accident various sounds. The same is true for the OB6 layout in this regard.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:17:40 PM by DaveP6guy »
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »
Wanted to bounce this to the top of the page to find out if it is really still true, that you cannot create a legato sequence...

AS bob the Builder says
Can we fix it?
YES WE CAN!
At least you can make it sound legato, at least in Poly mode.
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.