Van Halens Jump on Rev 2

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
Re: Van Halens Jump on Rev 2
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
Hi jok3r-

Congrats on the new Rev2! Sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with some of the keys. It sounds like it's this issue here:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1710.msg19213.html#msg19213

It's very likely you'll be able to resolve the issue at home in just a few minutes. Please contact our dedicated support channel and we'll get you sorted out: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

This was my issue with my first and second unit (and the available third unit, if I had returned the second one). It is easy to fix and essentially comes down to this: loosen the side screws, and then keep the upper lid up as high as you reasonably can, and then tighten the side screws back. But be sure and contact them to see their directions because it's a little more involved than what I just said. This worked at first, but a few of the keys started hitting the metal again. So I decided to redo the previous step and also re-tighten the rear (top panel) screws as well, raising the whole lid as high as it would go. That fixed it for good and has been a solid fix. Big fan of DSI support, love the REV2 and glad this is a field serviceable keyboard. 

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:37:03 AM »
Thanks, Robot Heart, for your answer. But I'm sitting in Germany and was already asleep, when you wrote it. I woke up the next day and the first thing I did was returning my unit.

I did some other tests the evening before and discovered that I not only had problems with the keys, but also had one of those faulty voice chips. If I set osc1 to triangle and played some keys in the upper half of the board I got a strong "sawtoothy" sound on voices 13-15. Recallibration did not work. Even in a practical use case this effect was very clear to hear. I played 4-voice chord progressions and every 4th chord (containing voices 13-16) sounded like a sawtooth chord instead of a triangle.

All in all: the unit was too faulty. I simply didn't want to keep it. I got my money back, because I didn't want to have another unit in exchange. I think I will wait a few month and try again. Perhaps the production of this synth is stable enough by then, so there won't be faulty units that often. 

I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to sort out any problems with a brand new synth out of the shop. I simply expect it to work. Music is my compensation for my work life. I'm on vacation this week and don't want to solve any problems in my rare spare time. If I want to do that, I'll go back to work or buy a vintage synth on ebay ;-)

My first impression of DSI is still very good. I read this forum quite frequently and think the support is very good, both from the community and from all DSI employees. I'll give the Rev2 another try when I think the children's diseases are over.

It's 3 AM here... I'll go to sleep. ;-)

To be honest I sort of am starting to feel that way about the Prophet 6 that still in the repair shop. The warranty is still good so I may ask for my money back. Not DSI's fault but the store I got it from has been a nightmare to deal with so I may just get my money back and buy a new one from another shop.  Sadly though, it's gone up in price so it might not be a good idea either.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:51:23 AM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 05:40:35 AM »
Maybe it's time to "jump" and get yourself instead that Oberheim Two-Voice Pro.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »
Maybe it's time to "jump" and get yourself instead that Oberheim Two-Voice Pro.

Yeah, it's sadly a long waiting time apparently.

jok3r

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
My first impression of DSI is still very good. I read this forum quite frequently and think the support is very good, both from the community and from all DSI employees. I'll give the Rev2 another try when I think the children's diseases are over.

I just wanted to inform you, that today was the day! Almost a year later, i really bought another Rev2 today.

There are no obvious problems this time (just some of the bugs mentioned in other threads, but nothing that looks like broken hardware or something i did not know before buying) and I'm enjoying it very much so far.

I'm writing this, because I wanted to thank all users of this forum and the Sequential staff for keeping my interest in this synth up until today. Thank you very much.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Gomjab

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
Welcome back!

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
Welcome back, jok3r.  Obviously the gravitational pull of the Rev2 was enough to keep you in orbit for awhile.  My situation is actually very similar to yours.

Like you, I have a Kronos on tier 1 of my gigging keyboard rig. Admittedly, I've spent many hours (too many!) programming in analog emulations for cover songs, with Jump being the main culprit. For the pre-chorus and pre-solo section, I use a different synth bass and a more mellow sawtooth patch, both played from my tier 2 controller on channels 2 and 3.  An Integra is layered with the Kronos sounds for more fullness, when I can be bothered to bring it -- too much gear!, esp since I'm also the bass player and sound guy for the band =/ 

Still, it is a lot of work to get close.  It's a shame to play emulations when you have an analog board that should be able to achieve better fidelity much more easily. The Rev2 Jump patch is ok, but being something of a perfectionist, it's not quite there for my tastes.  But then again, the Rev2 is not just for presets, right? ;) 
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »

*** The following section is primarily intended for Kronos Jump users like jok3r, although it also applies to any synth.***

Here's a few techniques I've learned in the ridiculous quest for "that" classic OB Jump sound.

-- Use a thick plate or spring reverb on the main right-hand synth brass sound.  Listen to the original song, the reverb is definitely a defining characteristic here.  There is a bit of spacing between the sound and the onset of the reverb.  On the Kronos I used Reverb Dry Plate (1 sec, 50% damp) and around 80ms for the pre-delay (50% thru).

-- Like others have noted, the main brass benefits from the typical pitch blip for synth brass patches.  On the Kronos I've set each AL-1 engine where the velocity affects the pitch envelopes slightly differently compared to each other.  Playing harder (intro and outro) increases the brassiness as well as the volume this way.

-- The lower bass saws sound is very big, and deserves to be its own separate program.  Its amp and filter decays are very long, over a couple measures, but it does fade down and not stay at full volume the whole time.

-- If you slack on the bass saw, the song can suffer.  For example, after you think you've nailed the high saw part, try substituting various saw bass sounds, and see how the whole impression changes.  Also, if you have no bass player pumping the eighth notes, it will become apparent very quick just how mechanical/digital the bass sound is.  Analog bass ftw, but if none available, pay close attention to the bass sound attack and punchiness over repeated eighth notes.  Of course, bump up the low and low mid to give it the beef it needs to support the song.  But, don't neglect the sizzle either.

-- The pre-chorus and pre-solo sections also deserve their own programs.  The song is already overly repetitive by nature, and if you don't break that up for the various song sections, but instead choose to only use the same sound for the whole song, you will lose that dynamic contrast that makes live music so enjoyable.

-- You can use the Dynamic Comp to bump up the volume for the brass patch keyboard solo, kind of like how a guitar player uses his boost pedal for solos.  Assign the Comp to Switch 1, and you can toggle the solo volume as needed.

-- Use the Kronos Multiband Compressor and Mastering Limiter on TFX 1 and 2 to smooth out and bump up the whole combi.

-- Most of the above of course should not be needed with really good, juicy analog goodness.  It was much quicker and easier, with the results far more pleasing, to dial up the secondary sounds on my Rev2 than it was on either the Kronos or Integra. I am still working on the main Jump sounds as we speak.  First drafts of "I'll Wait" was also fruitful, with Subdivisions, Power of Love, Separate Ways, and Uptown Funk on the list.  Hopefully the results will be enough to ground me from orbit and make me keep my Rev2 instead of searching for another tier 2 controller keyboard...

HTH
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

jok3r

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind replies.

I almost forgot about that this topic was originally about the Jump patch... I just used the forum search to find the post where I stated, that i will give the Rev2 another try in the future.

In the meantime I did a Jump patch on the Rev 2 that actually fits my needs. It does not have to be 100% accurate, I just want it to have enough balls to rock the s**t out of that song when performing live. I try to see that from a realistic point of view: as a gigging cover musician I have an audience that contains of people that cannot hear the difference. I guess that is true for 99% of the audience. So, as said: as long as it kicks, it's good enough.

For dynamics in this song I'm simply using velocity. I started playing on the piano, so playing dynamically is not a problem for me, even on synth keybeds (and I love the keybed of the Rev2, because it's the same as in my Kurzweil PC361).

A similar sound I'm trying to replicate regularly is this sync sound from "Why can't this be love" and it sounds much better on the Rev2 that on my digital synth.

So in general: I'm very pleased at the moment ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »
I made a Van Halen Jump patch tutorial on the Prophet Rev2 (with voice modeling of an OBXA) :

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral