Tried out a REV2 for about 4 hours yesterday

LoboLives

Tried out a REV2 for about 4 hours yesterday
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:54:08 AM »
While I was at Long And McQuade in Toronto here checking on my P6 that I have in the repair shop they said it was a slow day and I could have some time with some synths.

So I spent some time with the OB6, P12 but mostly the REV2.

Scrolled through a few presets. There seems to be a ton of Vangelis/Blade Runner/CS80 style patches....and I love the Escape2NewYork patch (ironic since I was wearing a Escape From New York shirt yesterday) as well as the Chariots patch.

Then I started to Initialize some patches just to see how quickly I can create some sounds.

A few quirks out of the way first...

I found the Oscillator Mix knob really awkward and I found that when I added the second oscillator it thinned the sound sometimes if the Shapemod was set a certain way. Much prefer having a dedicated amount for each oscillator.

I also HATE the ARP section on this. It's just awkward to have to go into a menu soon as you engage it. Even in once I got the hang of it I still found it annoying.  I think until DSI update the OS for the much requested Sequencer transposition I'll have to have my sequencing/arps handled elsewhere.

Another thing I was trying to figure out is how I can have one layer playing and have the other layer slowly increase in volume from a modulation. I tried it a few times and couldn't work it out.

Also when using the pitch bend or wheel even if you are in a layer or there is a sequencer playing on one patch and you are playing another patch manually it'll actually bend/modulate the sequence or first layer as well. A bit annoying if you are trying to do a lead over top of a sequence. Unless I simply set it up wrong.

Also when setting the pitch bend wheel to increase/decrease only on oscillator's pitch I was having a hard time figuring out what amount would be an octave up or down.

I programmed Jump, Crockett's theme (Arp bass and String pads), some Carpenter sounds (Specifically the Pipe Organ sound in Halloween 2 as well as the Halloween 3 lead), Axl F's Supersaw and a few others.

Overall it was a really great sound. You can get some massive Jupiter 8 pads out of this, CS80 Vangelis sounds (obviously), as well as some great drones/bass tones. I still prefer the Prophet 6 in terms of approach ability and overall tone but I'll be picking up an 8 voice REV2 version for sure. It'll take a bit to get used to but I think it would be a welcomed edition (and it's economical enough to add) to the Prophet 6.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:06:29 AM by LoboLives »

Re: Tried out a REV2 for about 4 hours yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
Well I think you're lucky to have the opportunity to try before buy.  I didn't have that opportunity so it was an unnerving blind purchase.  I think my initial reaction when I first got it was very similar to yours though.  Didn't really like certain aspects like the ARP and Seq but personally I didn't buy it for those and wouldn't miss them if they were gone.
I have been spending most of my time dissecting the factory patches to learn how they were constructed and this has awakened me to the vast flexibility of this synth.  I think that if you initially really like the sound of this then you will be very pleased with it once you spend a little more time with the layout.
Prophet Rev2, SonicCore Xite-1,CP300,CS5,SK20

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »
Well I think you're lucky to have the opportunity to try before buy.  I didn't have that opportunity so it was an unnerving blind purchase.  I think my initial reaction when I first got it was very similar to yours though.  Didn't really like certain aspects like the ARP and Seq but personally I didn't buy it for those and wouldn't miss them if they were gone.
I have been spending most of my time dissecting the factory patches to learn how they were constructed and this has awakened me to the vast flexibility of this synth.  I think that if you initially really like the sound of this then you will be very pleased with it once you spend a little more time with the layout.

For me it's the Oscillator Mix knob that bothers me mostly and that each layer can't have it's own dedicated volume. I just find it awkward.

But the sound is great, not as good as the P6 or OB6 in my opinion but it has a lot of modulation options for sure. I just wish it had a better layout.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:17:53 AM »
For me it's the Oscillator Mix knob that bothers me mostly and that each layer can't have it's own dedicated volume. I just find it awkward.

But the sound is great, not as good as the P6 or OB6 in my opinion but it has a lot of modulation options for sure. I just wish it had a better layout.

Ah, but it has two stereo audio outputs for each layer. I really really like that, giving them their own separate mixing channels, is like having to individual synths. Each layer can have different outboard effects or none if required.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »

Funny you say that!–the provision for individual oscillator levels is one of those things that I find far more intuitive than a single balance control. With regard to my used Prophet-600: with the Gligli upgrade, the Mixer and Glide knobs become 0 - 200% level knobs for each oscillator, with the 12 o'clock position representing the previous max level (and settings further right being overdriven into the filter).

The Prophet-6 and OB-6 also provide individual oscillator levels, as do (modally) the Pro-2 and Prophet-12.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:09:28 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »

Funny you say that!–the provision for individual oscillator levels is one of those things that I find far more intuitive than a single balance control. With regard to my used Prophet-600: with the Gligli upgrade, the Mixer and Glide knobs become 0 - 200% level knobs for each oscillator, with the 12 o'clock position representing the previous max level (and settings further right being overdriven into the filter).

The Prophet-6 and OB-6 also provide individual oscillator levels, as do (modally) the Pro-2 and Prophet-12.

I just love my Prophet 6 because during a sequence I have one oscillator turned off (and usually tuned differently) while the other plays and slowly I start to bring it in to add another harmony in the sequence. I tried to do this with the oscillator mix on the REV2...I just found the volume sort of does a weird dip.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »

Ah, but it has two stereo audio outputs for each layer. I really really like that, giving them their own separate mixing channels, is like having to individual synths. Each layer can have different outboard effects or none if required.

I'd rather deal with the synth not the mixer. I mean would a "PRGM VOLUME" knob been so difficult?

Propheteer

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
You can tell you don't really know this synth that well, for sure. Also each layer DOES have its own volume (Program volume) in the menu, one press and a scroll away. I think you, and some others, really need to focus on what REV2 is rather than what it isn't. Then you'll see the beauty in like I and others do. I have no issue with the ARP (other than lack of beat sync) and the sequencer is fun, instant and does the job I need from it (quick riffs and song ideas for later). I didn't buy rev2 to get a fully featured sequencer, these are all great bonus items on a very powerful synth with almost every toy you could wish for in a 5 octave modern full analog synth FOR THIS PRICE!

The combine osc mix knob is better for morphing/fading between with ONE MOD (or finger move) vs trying to adjust one down while the other goes up + all the trickery involved in doing that smoothly with two knobs. I think you aren't getting that it's not prophet 6, it's far more complex and powerful in terms of engine and thus it has to do things certain ways to allow it to be very usable. Prophet 6 has what it has because it's a VERY simple synth by comparison.

I've done loads of fading between layer patches (mod wheel or whatever) and you can also use env amount on filter or cut off - modulated - to do similar rather than just pure volume). I really don't get all this nit-picking, the rev2 has so much going for it and so few drawbacks vs almost any other synth in its price range (full analog) old or new, that includes prophet 6 and OB-6 which cost even more and have dwarf keybeds! I've played with prophet 6 many times and it never blew me away as a synth, only as a cool sound source but not as an overall empowering instrument that can last a lifetime and do so much. I don't even love it's sound over rev2 but to find that you need to get to know rev2 and program to its strengths sonically, while Prophet 6 is more instant of course but also more limited and often 'samey'.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:05:36 AM by Propheteer »

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
You can tell you don't really know this synth that well, for sure. Also each layer DOES have its own volume (Program volume) in the menu, one press and a scroll away.

The ENV Amount on AMP serves as a volume and can be modulated between parts separately.

I've made a few patches where the mod wheel essentially fades between patch A and patch B.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
You can tell you don't really know this synth that well, for sure. Also each layer DOES have its own volume (Program volume) in the menu, one press and a scroll away. I think you, and some others, really need to focus on what REV2 is rather than what it isn't. Then you'll see the beauty in like I and others do. I have no issue with the ARP (other than lack of beat sync) and the sequencer is fun, instant and does the job I need from it (quick riffs and song ideas for later). I didn't buy rev2 to get a fully featured sequencer, these are all great bonus items on a very powerful synth with almost every toy you could wish for in a 5 octave modern full analog synth FOR THIS PRICE!

The combine osc mix knob is better for morphing/fading between with ONE MOD (or finger move) vs trying to adjust one down while the other goes up + all the trickery involved in doing that smoothly with two knobs. I think you aren't getting that it's not prophet 6, it's far more complex and powerful in terms of engine and thus it has to do things certain ways to allow it to be very usable. Prophet 6 has what it has because it's a VERY simple synth by comparison.

I've done loads of fading between layer patches (mod wheel or whatever) and you can also use env amount on filter or cut off - modulated - to do similar rather than just pure volume). I really don't get all this nit-picking, the rev2 has so much going for it and so few drawbacks vs almost any other synth in its price range (full analog) old or new, that includes prophet 6 and OB-6 which cost even more and have dwarf keybeds! I've played with prophet 6 many times and it never blew me away as a synth, only as a cool sound source but not as an overall empowering instrument that can last a lifetime and do so much. I don't even love it's sound over rev2 but to find that you need to get to know rev2 and program to its strengths sonically, while Prophet 6 is more instant of course but also more limited and often 'samey'.

Again I spent 4 hours only with it. This is just my initial impression. I didn't go into every little parameter. The REV2 sounds like it's the synth of your dreams. For me, it's good for what it is but for me the Prophet 6 is better and I prefer dedicated volume knob on the panel as opposed to having to go into a menu for it.

Again different strokes for different folks. Some people want the 16 voices...I don't.

I do appreciate your passion for the REV2 and it's great that it's your thing but you don't need to try and sell it to me, I already decided I'm getting an 8 voice version as a compliment to my Prophet 6.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:32:19 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
The Rev2 has an Oscillator Mix parameter instead of individual levels because it's built into the Curtis chip that way. The only way to have oscillator level control is to use an extra Curtis chip per voice and only use one oscillator per chip which is a really expensive alternative, and the mix works well enough once you get used to it.

Since it's a mix, it does turn down down one oscillator as the other is mixed in like a cross fade rather than adding the second oscillator to the first one at full volume. You'd only get that if you had individual level control.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
I like the mix knob but it's true that there's a little volume dip that makes us think it doesn't sound as good when it's 50\50.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
It's the same on the Prophet '08.  I can appreciate the preference for individual oscillator levels, but the present design has some advantages.  For one, you can modulate the balance parameter.  This means you can fluctuate back and forth between waveforms, which offers some wonderful effects.  Modulating between, say, a heavily modulated pulse wave and a static sawtooth or triangle is a very unique sound.  Or else, modulating between two different pulse widths only a few degrees apart can emulate a sort of pulse width modulation, but without the chorus effect.  My favorite is to subtly modulate between different octaves, which is one of the secrets to the bass patch in this improvisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBX_Byk7psk
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:35:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm somewhat new to synthesis and this is my first analog instrument.  I've noticed there are different implementations to all things and I suppose being new allows me to be naive.  I don't really prefer one way or the other in terms of the osc mix, but I appreciate the ideas on how to use it in different ways.  Maybe, I'll be biased and have an opinion as time passes...I hope not.  I did do quite a fair amount of research before buying my 16 voice.  There are no competitors in my opinion.    This instrument's versatility and sound is absolutely brilliant. 

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
It's the same on the Prophet '08.  I can appreciate the preference for individual oscillator levels, but the present design has some advantages.  For one, you can modulate the balance parameter.  This means you can fluctuate back and forth between waveforms, which offers some wonderful effects.  Modulating between, say, a heavily modulated pulse wave and a static sawtooth or triangle is a very unique sound.  Or else, modulating between two different pulse widths only a few degrees apart can emulate a sort of pulse width modulation, but without the chorus effect.  My favorite is to subtly modulate between different octaves, which is one of the secrets to the bass patch in this improvisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBX_Byk7psk

I can appreciate that and I do something similar with polymod affecting the shape of oscillator 1 on the P6. I think though with the noticeable volume dip you almost don’t notice the subtle modulation because you are thinking “wait...the volume is going..”