How does one create a .syx bank of alternate tunings?

wetfood

How does one create a .syx bank of alternate tunings?
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:34 AM »
I'm able to load tuning files in .syx format to the P6 one by one, although the process is very finicky - (requires a global reset for some reason to accept the .syx files)

I can create .syx files of individual scales using a scale editor called CSE, but I'd love to create several banks of scales for different applications rather than loading them all individually which requires saving each scale separately with the correct slot number (and having to run a global reset many times in the process for it to accept the scales). Is there a simple way to create a bank that contains 16 scales such as the default bank downloadable on the DSI site?

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/prophet-6-factory-sounds/

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:46:13 AM by wetfood »

Re: How does one create a .syx bank of alternate tunings?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »
You can combine SysEx files fairly easily using a hex editor. Checkout Hex Fiend for Mac, or MIDI-OX for PC. They're both free and will let you create a "bank" of alternate tunings (or programs) and save them as a single file.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

wetfood

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
thank you!

if anyone has any tips on how to actually create a bank in hex fiend, I'd really appreciate it  :) - it's pretty intimidating and after searching for a while, haven't found much in the way of tutorials for creating a bank using separate files.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:34:14 PM by wetfood »

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
It's pretty straightforward once you know the steps. Open a SysEx file, open another SysEx file (Open File again) you want to combine in a new window. Highlight/select all (Command + A) of the bytes in the second file you just opened, copy, then put the cursor at the end of the first SysEx file (left side of the window) and paste. Save that file under a new name and you're done.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

wetfood

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
wonderful! thanks kindly for your help with this.