Trying to decide the best digital synth.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Trying to decide the best digital synth.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:02 AM »
That's my opinion, too.  All things considered, the Prophet 12 is the best hybrid instrument that someone of my financial circumstances could possibly afford.  And that's not a complaint, because there's more in a P12 than I'll ever need.  But I personally wouldn't want a synthesizer that approaches the price of a car or a down payment on a house.  It's just too much invested in one object.  I'd be afraid to turn it on and use it, lest I break it!

The funny thing is - considering the theme of this thread - the P12 now lingers in my memory as more of a virtual analog than a hybrid or digital synthesizer.  I spent little time experimenting with its digital prowess, except for running through its few digital wave shapes.  Coming from the Evolver's 90+ digital wave shapes, plus its several analog, they certainly didn't impress me, but I realize it's a matter of what you do with them across the entire instrument.  The oscillator is such a fundamental component in synthesis; and yet, with the P12, for the first time I felt as if it was only the bare beginning of a long series of events, at the end of which the oscillator would hardly seem to be of importance.  I realize that's technically incorrect, but I'm describing an impression the instrument left.

So, until I've had my hands on one again, it's hard for me to consider the P12 a "digital synth".  The instrument just doesn't fit into a category I can name.  It's more of a nondescript masterpiece, if that isn't a contradiction in terms. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:30:10 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
That's my opinion, too.  All things considered, the Prophet 12 is the best hybrid instrument that someone of my financial circumstances could possibly afford.  And that's not a complaint, because there's more in a P12 than I'll ever need.  But I personally wouldn't want a synthesizer that approaches the price of a car or a down payment on a house.  It's just too much invested in one object.  I'd be afraid to turn it on and use it, lest I break it!

The funny thing is - considering the theme of this thread - the P12 now lingers in my memory as more of a virtual analog than a hybrid or digital synthesizer.  I spent little time experimenting with its digital prowess, except for running through its few digital wave shapes.  Coming from the Evolver's 90+ digital wave shapes, plus its several analog, they certainly didn't impress me, but I realize it's a matter of what you do with them across the entire instrument.  The oscillator is such a fundamental component in synthesis; and yet, with the P12, for the first time I felt as if it was only the bare beginning of a long series of events, at the end of which the oscillator would hardly seem to be of importance.  I realize that's technically incorrect, but I'm describing an impression the instrument left.

So, until I've had my hands on one again, it's hard for me to consider the P12 a "digital synth".  The instrument just doesn't fit into a category I can name.  It's more of a nondescript masterpiece, if that isn't a contradiction in terms.

Yeah I heard a few demos on youtube of it's FM based sounds and wavetable sounds and it really does sound great. I wish it had more on board effects.

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
I think I might be leaning towards the Solaris. Although it's not great at those FM sounds it can mimic a VS and PPG quite well AND THEN SOME.

It really has a unique sound and would be totally different than what I currently have.

What's everyone's opinions on it? Price aside.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
Well I have always wanted one that's for sure!

He is doing a new run as well I think so you could nab yourself a brand new one.

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:14 AM »
Well I have always wanted one that's for sure!

He is doing a new run as well I think so you could nab yourself a brand new one.

Yeah I was speaking with Bowen yesterday about it. Mmm I may get something else before I grab one but it's on my list. I'll wait until next Namm. If DSI doesn't do another digital or VS Synthesis type synth then I'll go for the Solaris.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 06:01:53 AM »
It's interesting that the Prophet 12 won't suffice for you as a digital synthesizer.

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »
It's interesting that the Prophet 12 won't suffice for you as a digital synthesizer.

Yeah. I'm not saying it's a bad synth but honestly I think a lot of the sounds I'm after are a combination of digital synthesis, analog filters and effects (Chorus, Phaser etc). The P12 doesn't have effects and I'd rather not be lugging around a pedal board.

While the Solaris doesn't have analog filters it does have far more flexibility than the P12 including the VS waveshapes, Wavetables and has some nice on board effects. If you listen to some presets (specifically the Rotor Dreams patch) it has a sound that is quite unique and would stand out alongside my analog tones. The P12 is more of a digital synth trying to emulate analog it's nice but it won't stand out in a mix.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »
And that strikes me as encouraging - another affirmation that, after all, the Prophet 12 isn't so digital.

LoboLives

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
And that strikes me as encouraging - another affirmation that, after all, the Prophet 12 isn't so digital.

I just would like to avoid having two synths serving the same purpose. Hence why I'm not interested in the OB6 cause it be redundant of the Prophet 6. With the REV2...mmmm at least it's bi-timbral and has different features so I can somewhat justify it.

The Prophet 12 just wouldn't stand out in a mix whereas the Solaris would.

I know you said it's out of your budget but sound wise what do you make of the Solaris SacredSynthesis?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
I would agree with everything you've said about it.  The Solaris is outstandingly digital in character, far beyond the Prophet 12, and offers the whole gamut of classic digital sound, and more.  I wish every synthesizer had such an engine.  My only concern is with what's been said here about Oberheim; and that is, I'm hesitant to buy from overly boutique companies.  I know people often like the quaint personal treatment they receive from mom and pop businesses, but for something this expensive and complex, I'd also like to have the assurance that the company will be supporting its products for years to come, and that it has the staff, development, service, and a large quantity of spare parts to provide for the future.  The idea of producing only one or two masterpieces - and those in small quantities - leaves me uneasy.

This sort of statement, taken from the website, makes me sweat:

"We are now officially taking deposits for Production Round #6. Delivery is expected to start late November 2017. There are 3 spaces remaining in the production Round #6 group."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:41:55 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
I would agree with everything you've said about it.  The Solaris is outstandingly digital in character, far beyond the Prophet 12, and offers the whole gamut of classic digital sound, and more.  I wish every synthesizer had such an engine.  My only concern is with what's been said here about Oberheim; and that is, I'm hesitant to buy from overly boutique companies.  I know people often like the quaint personal treatment they receive from mom and pop businesses, but for something this expensive and complex, I'd also like to have the assurance that the company will be supporting its products for years to come, and that it has the staff, development, service, and a large quantity of spare parts to provide for the future.  The idea of producing only one or two masterpieces - and those in small quantities - leaves me uneasy.

This sort of statement, taken from the website, makes me sweat:

"We are now officially taking deposits for Production Round #6. Delivery is expected to start late November 2017. There are 3 spaces remaining in the production Round #6 group."

Yeah I know but Bowen was fairly quick to respond to my messages. Nice guy and we talked about the Prophet VS. I suggested a collaboration with Dave Smith but he said Dave doesn't need his help lol. Really nice guy and down to earth.

In regards to Oberheim a second store in Toronto here verified that it isn't easy getting the stuff and often takes a long time to get in but they do have a black Two Voice Pro arriving in two weeks and said he would give me a good hour alone with it. So at least there's that. I still am in love with it...but it's a risky love.

To be completely frank even though it's risky dealing with boutique dealers it seems John is a bit more connected with the fans and consumers than Tom is. Obviously this may be due to the age difference but even still.

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
I think no matter whether I could afford it or not, it would always be important to me to be able to check out a synth in person first. That's also why I can't really make a full judgement about the Solaris, as I've never played one and I believe it can only be checked out at a few trade shows. Not sure whether John Bowen has a return policy of any sort, but I assume one either has to take the plunge or not. On paper it looks great and if it's your goal to specifically achieve the sounds of the classics after which its building blocks have been designed, then it's probably a good option.

Having only had the opportunity to listen to a few sound samples online, I personally find the Solaris a bit too generic sounding when compared to synths like the 002 or the Evolver for example, which have more of a unique sonic character in my view. Hence I can understand why Sacred Synthesis brought up the Poly Evolver as an alternative.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
Yes, indeed.  In spite of a few shortcomings, the Poly Evolver has a unique, and thus, a distinctive character.  It's easily recognizable, and I like that.  The Solaris strikes me as an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type synthesizer.  I think this sometimes is a disadvantage in that an instrument so vast ends up with no character of its own.  As Dave Smith might say, it's not only what you put in to an instrument, but also what you leave out, that gives it a personality.

To be fair, though - and not to take the wind out of your sails with the previous comments, Lobolives - it's also nice to have a behemoth of a synthesizer that can do just about everything, and leave the distinctiveness to come from the musician's choice of sounds and manner of use of the instrument.  So, I can see how the Solaris would be just the right instrument for many folks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:43:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
Yeah it’s all good points to consider. I’ll give the 002 another listen but for some reason I’m put off by it. Not sure why.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
Is it because it looks just like a 1970's American kitchen appliance?  Leggo my Eggo! ;D

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 03:43:42 AM »
Is it because it looks just like a 1970's American kitchen appliance?  Leggo my Eggo! ;D

No it's not that. I don't know exactly. It's more the sound I dislike.

LoboLives

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 03:45:24 AM »
Was also looking at the Radikal Technologies Accelerator

Sort of reminds me of a DX7. Not the best interface but some interesting sounds.

I still think a Solaris may be the best. Wish multimode could be implemented soon.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:47:49 AM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:29 AM »

Ditto.  It's never struck me as outstanding enough to justify the cost.  That's why I've never taken it too seriously, even though I'm a big instrument guy.  I mean, every polyphonic digital synthesizer can make beautiful bell patches and ethereal pads.  But when it comes to the more standard generic sounds, the ones you're inclined to use on a daily basis, the 002 sounds to my ears like just another good flexible synthesizer.  The only digital/hybrid instrument that has ever struck me - really caught my ear and kept my attention - has been, pardon me again, the Poly Evolver.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:41:48 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:06 AM »

Ditto.  It's never struck me as outstanding enough to justify the cost.  That's why I've never taken it too seriously, even though I'm a big instrument guy.  I mean, every polyphonic digital synthesizer can make beautiful bell patches and ethereal pads.  But when it comes to the more standard generic sounds, the ones you're inclined to use on a daily basis, the 002 sounds to my ears like just another good flexible synthesizer.  The only digital/hybrid instrument that has ever struck me - really caught my ear and kept my attention - has been, pardon me again, the Poly Evolver.

Like I said I'm going to wait until next NAMM if DSI doesn't do a new Poly Evolver or another analog/digital hybrid (Two analog oscillators/two digital oscillators) then I'll have to pull the trigger on the Solaris. Not really sure what Dave and company can do in the analog realm other than multimbrality and from my understanding he's not interested in going down that path.

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
Lobo Lives,  what's your take on programming the Solaris?  from what I recall from the videos I watched a few years ago- it looked like it might be bit of a menu diving machine.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1