Trying to decide the best digital synth.

LoboLives

Trying to decide the best digital synth.
« on: September 25, 2017, 06:14:26 AM »
I have a lot of analog gear and I want to start adding some digital synth sounds to my music. Specifically the PPG Waves, Prophet VS and DX FM sounds.

I've narrowed it down to three synths.

1.) Prophet 12. From the digital sounds I've heard out of this thing I think it would work quite well. I just fear I'd be somewhat wasting it's potential by only using it for DX Piano tones and PPG Choir sounds and the like. I also wonder if (much like how the REV2 was an updated P08) if we'd see a new Digital synth from DSI next NAMM. Most of the conjecture is that this is unlikely. I would like to see another Evolver type engine but again it's unlikely but still don't want to jump the gun too quickly.

2.) Studio Logic Sledge 2. The cheapest option of the three and also with a nice knob per function interface. Great PPG tones and FM sounds out of this thing from what I've heard. It also has sampling ability as well which you can run through the filters/synth engine and process.

3.) John Bowen Solaris. The most expensive option and has a long wait time. From the sounds I've heard, it's absolutely incredible. It has a ton of different sound textures. I wouldn't be using any of the analog modeling sounds but mostly the VS waves, PPG sounds. My issue is, is this essentially just a VST in a really nice case? Is there actual synthesis going on here or is it just software?

Re: Trying to decide the best digital synth.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
That's not too easy and depends on how close you wanna get to the classics you named. After all, the PPG Wave, the Prophet VS, and the DX 7 all sound different.

The Prophet 12 should probably taken for what it is and not what it can emulate. It's currently the most flexible hybrid synth on the market that may be able to capture some of the characteristics of the instruments named above, but I think you'll only truly enjoy it if you aim for sounds beyond that scheme.

Sound-wise, I think nothing comes closer to PPG-esque sounds than the Modal Electronics 002 at the moment. It also has an overall instant big and luxurious sound.

And then, there will be the Waldorf Quantum soon, which will offer a whole different palette of digital options, among which there's also going to be granular synthesis.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
That's not too easy and depends on how close you wanna get to the classics you named. After all, the PPG Wave, the Prophet VS, and the DX 7 all sound different.

The Prophet 12 should probably taken for what it is and not what it can emulate. It's currently the most flexible hybrid synth on the market that may be able to capture some of the characteristics of the instruments named above, but I think you'll only truly enjoy it if you aim for sounds beyond that scheme.

Sound-wise, I think nothing comes closer to PPG-esque sounds than the Modal Electronics 002 at the moment. It also has an overall instant big and luxurious sound.

And then, there will be the Waldorf Quantum soon, which will offer a whole different palette of digital options, among which there's also going to be granular synthesis.

I actually wasn't too blown away by the Quantum to be honest.

What are your thoughts on the Sledge and the Solaris?

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »

I agree on the Quantum in terms of what has been demostrated so far on YouTube etc. To be fair, though, most of us only saw the presentation of a prototype without that many tailored sounds. As far as I know, it's currently being sent to preset designers, so that might also change the way it's going to be perceived. It feels good and sturdy, though, and will offer an interesting combination of four different synth engines.

I'm not that familiar with the Solaris. I know what's in there, but I've never played one in person.

The Sledge does sound nice I have to say. The build quality is rather on the cheap side. Not because anything is particularly wobbly, but it is more or less just a big piece of plastic, so it doesn't feel remotely close to anything like a Prophet-6 for example. But sound-wise I personally found it more appealing than the Peak for example. At least at first sight/listen.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:50:07 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »

I agree on the Quantum in terms of what has been demostrated so far on YouTube etc. To be fair, though, most of us only saw the presentation of a prototype without that many tailored sounds. As far as I know, it's currently being sent to preset designers, so that might also change the way it's going to be perceived. It feels good and sturdy, though, and will offer an interesting combination of four different synth engines.

I'm not that familiar with the Solaris. I know what's in there, but I've never played one in person.

The Sledge does sound nice I have to say. The build quality is rather on the cheap side. Not because anything is particularly wobbly, but it is more or less just a big piece of plastic, so it doesn't feel remotely close to anything like a Prophet-6 for example. But sound-wise I personally found it more appealing than the Peak for example. At least at first sight/listen.

I'm just not a fan of the touch screen on the Quantum. I know it sounds silly but I sort of wished Waldorf modeled it after a PPG. Blue and with a body that you can sort of place things on as opposed to not. Silly I know but it would stand out for sure.

The Sledge I don't mind being plastic as for the price you are getting a great sound still.

The Solaris does sound awesome...but again maybe I'm confused but would a digital software wave/synthesis be the same as digital waves and synthesis? What I mean is a digital software wave should be the same as a wave found in a hardware synth as they are both digital based or am I wrong? Hard to explain.

But listen to this baby...

Like I said I'm mainly going to use the synth for DX FM bells, Synclavier sounds, PPG wavetable sweeps, wavetable choir, DX and VS Clav/Rhodes sounds.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
I'm just not a fan of the touch screen on the Quantum. I know it sounds silly but I sort of wished Waldorf modeled it after a PPG. Blue and with a body that you can sort of place things on as opposed to not. Silly I know but it would stand out for sure.

Yeah, I know that the display is not to everyone's liking. Practically, it makes sense for such a synth, though, since the Quantum is far more complex than the PPG. The Modal Electronics 002 would be closer.

The Sledge I don't mind being plastic as for the price you are getting a great sound still.

It's definitely a great sounding synth.

The Solaris does sound awesome...but again maybe I'm confused but would a digital software wave/synthesis be the same as digital waves and synthesis? What I mean is a digital software wave should be the same as a wave found in a hardware synth as they are both digital based or am I wrong? Hard to explain.

But listen to this baby...

Like I said I'm mainly going to use the synth for DX FM bells, Synclavier sounds, PPG wavetable sweeps, wavetable choir, DX and VS Clav/Rhodes sounds.

It certainly sounds great as well and it may serve your purpose best in hardware if you'd rather like to use it for these classic sounds you've mentioned. You'll definitely find a lot of those engines covered in plug-in format too, but if you prefer to work with hardware, then this woud be your best bet. You would still have to get a dedicated FM synth, though, as none of the above mentioned synths are in this category. The best most current and hands-on option would probably be the Yamaha Montage, although it comes with a bigger display too.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:30:40 AM »
It may sound weird but have you thought of the Kronos?

Edit: Not the Kronos sounding weird but the idea of getting one!

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:23 AM »

I have a Kronos. Not really a fan of the thing. I never warmed up to it at all.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 05:55:39 AM »
I didn't have the time to put the Prophet 12 through an intensive digital trial, so I can't speak about it in that domain.  But I have to put in a word for an old friend.  Have you ever considered a Poly Evolver Keyboard?  Probably the four-voice polyphony eliminates it for you, but it is squarely in the Prophet VS/PPG family like few other synthesizers.  Certainly it lacks many of the features that have become the norm today, but if you simply want a high-qualituy physical instrument to play, then it's a gem.  I've passed countless hours playing and recording with mine into the wee hours of the morning, and I am always amazed by the beauty of its character.  It's magnificent for icy breathy ethereal digital pads.  And it's the king of digital aliasing!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:31:50 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
My favorite digital synth right now is an iPad running Nave.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »

I have my iPad running the Vogel CMI Fairlight app. Might actually start to add that into my music to

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
I didn't have the time to put the Prophet 12 through an intensive digital trial, so I can't speak about it in that domain.  But I have to put in a word for an old friend.  Have you ever considered a Poly Evolver Keyboard?  Probably the four-voice polyphony eliminates it for you, but it is squarely in the Prophet VS/PPG family like few other synthesizers.  Certainly it lacks many of the features that have become the norm today, but if you simply want a high-qualituy physical instrument to play, then it's a gem.  I've passed countless hours playing and recording with mine into the wee hours of the morning, and I am always amazed by the beauty of its character.  It's magnificent for icy breathy ethereal digital pads.  And it's the king of digital aliasing!

Love the Poly Evolver keyboard but you are right 4 voices is not enough and I don't want to have to start polychaining it together with racks just to get voices. If Dave does come out with a new Evolver next Namm then I'll be interested but I don't think that'll happen.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 08:23:29 AM »
Yeah, I figured.  It would be a huge investment of time and money to put together an eight-voice Poly Evolver like mine.  But the result is exquisite and totally unique.

chysn

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »

I have my iPad running the Vogel CMI Fairlight app. Might actually start to add that into my music to

Woah, I didn't even know that existed. I'll check it out.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »

Woah, I didn't even know that existed. I'll check it out.

Get the Pro version. It's $50 but it actually can do real time sampling, create your own sounds/has all Fairlight samples AND has the Page R sequencer with Midi!

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »

Thats that idea down the pan then :)

I think the Kronos is probably the "best" digital synth I have, it is an Aladdins cave of synthesis. But I get your point, I don't love it and it would not be the last digital synth to be sold here. Very capable though.

If I was getting a new digital synth it would be the 002.

LoboLives

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »

Thats that idea down the pan then :)

I think the Kronos is probably the "best" digital synth I have, it is an Aladdins cave of synthesis. But I get your point, I don't love it and it would not be the last digital synth to be sold here. Very capable though.

If I was getting a new digital synth it would be the 002.

Extremely capable for sure just enjoy my Kurzweil 2600 XS more than any other workstation...I may actually get a newer Kurzweil PC3K soon.

The 002 sounds nice buts it's insanely expensive for what it is.

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »
Yeah, I figured.  It would be a huge investment of time and money to put together an eight-voice Poly Evolver like mine.  But the result is exquisite and totally unique.

What's your thoughts on the Solaris?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »

My only thought is that it's too expensive for me, so I don't even bother to research it.  Otherwise, I'd probably go the Modal Electronics route.  I realize a PEK-PER pair is mightily expensive, but I was able to put it together over time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:19:58 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:55 AM »

My only thought is that it's too expensive for me, so I don't even bother to research it.  Otherwise, I'd probably go the Modal Electronics route.  I realize a PEK-PER pair is mightily expensive, but I was able to put it together over time.

I think the Prophet 12 may be my best bet for what I'm after. The Solaris hasn't updated to multitimbrality yet and honestly with a synth that expensive it really should be multitimbral.