Sharing patches?

Jdoo

Sharing patches?
« on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
Wondering if there is any interest.  There's a lot to be learned from sharing patches with others.   Anyway - wondering if folks are interested in sharing their patches.  I have a collection of pads / brass / soundFx that I could contribute to a group-share.   

Re: Sharing patches?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
I have the holy grail patches for Van Halen "Jump" and Stevie Nicks "Stand Back". These are spot-on.
DSI OB-6, Roland D-50, Roland JD-800, Roland Jupiter-80, Roland Boutique VP-03, JP-08, SH-01A, D-05, TR-09

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
With OB-6 controls all on the surface we could even use patch diagram sheets.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Jdoo

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
With OB-6 controls all on the surface we could even use patch diagram sheets.

True that.  Those, or SysEx dumps too.  Problem with those (personally) - is that they can be a PITA to generate.  I use SoundTower, so reading sysex is no bother - but generating individual SysEx files.. not so much.  Another option is screen capture.  Here is a screen grab of a Moog Lead that I created to go with a Steve Winwood cover (Valerie).  If interested in playing it ... a good MasterClass on pitch bend is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzQHsYWANSE    Note...  It's easier for me to incorporate / play the modulation option via aftertouch on my keyboard - so you'll see that programmed in the patch.  Modwheel works too - but if you do this patch as the ST screengrab shows... you get the same modulation via the OB's aftertouch.

Added the SysEx... for folks who don't want to bother following the ST setting..   8)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:37:23 AM by Jdoo »

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
I use SoundTower, so reading sysex is no bother - but generating individual SysEx files.. not so much.
SoundTower doesn’t allow SysEx exporting of banks?  WTF?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Jdoo

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
I use SoundTower, so reading sysex is no bother - but generating individual SysEx files.. not so much.
It may... and it's possible I just havent found the menu item.   ;)  OTOH -- it's not difficult to launch the free SyseX librarian (Mac), click on 'record' - then do a program dump from the OB.  Not difficult -- but too many steps. :D  I am able to do it (see the JD-MoogLead.syx dump above) --- but it is a PITA.  Would be nice to have a drag/drop GUI for this...

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
It may... and it's possible I just havent found the menu item.   ;)  OTOH -- it's not difficult to launch the free SyseX librarian (Mac), click on 'record' - then do a program dump from the OB.  Not difficult -- but too many steps. :D  I am able to do it (see the JD-MoogLead.syx dump above) --- but it is a PITA.  Would be nice to have a drag/drop GUI for this...
According to their website, it should be a simple matter: "SoundEditor allows you to create, edit, organize, and store OB-6 Programs. Through a standard MIDI connection, SoundEditor can receive and transmit individual Programs or entire banks to the OB-6."
-- http://www.soundtower.com/ob6/ob6_sa.html

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Jdoo

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
According to their website, it should be a simple matter: "SoundEditor allows you to create, edit, organize, and store OB-6 Programs. Through a standard MIDI connection, SoundEditor can receive and transmit individual Programs or entire banks to the OB-6."
-- http://www.soundtower.com/ob6/ob6_sa.html

Cheers!

Yes... easy enough to 'read' Sysex, and quite convenient with ST.  The trick I havent been able to find within ST - is how to 'generate' SysEx files from within ST.   It isn't difficult to generate 'ST programs'...  they're just not SysEx format - so I doubt folks without ST would be able to do much with the files.  :)   Like I said though - it's possible to do that with the SysEx librarian though. . .

In any case - doesn't appear to be much interest in a group share of patches.  A Roland Clans Forum thread we have for the FA Series synth turned into something north of 7500 downloads.  Not so much here.  8)   All cool.   Cheers - -

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »

That huge difference in interest level might be misleading and have more parallel with the number of instruments actually in user hands.  But it may also be related to the type of instrument.  OB6 seems very conducive to just making your own patches.  The users of it may want just exactly that- versus seeking their sounds elsewhere.  Whereas the users of the more "workstation" type synths may be seeking a different experience and need.   That being said,  I still would be game, but I don't want to hook the OB6 up to a computer.  So, back to patch sheets if I wanna trade ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Jdoo

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

That huge difference in interest level might be misleading and have more parallel with the number of instruments actually in user hands.  But it may also be related to the type of instrument.  OB6 seems very conducive to just making your own patches.  The users of it may want just exactly that- versus seeking their sounds elsewhere.  Whereas the users of the more "workstation" type synths may be seeking a different experience and need.   That being said,  I still would be game, but I don't want to hook the OB6 up to a computer.  So, back to patch sheets if I wanna trade ;)

Cool.  Totally agree with what you're saying. In my case - I've learned a boatload through sharing patches / learning different techniques from changing up what I get too.  E.G.  I nearly always, add aftertouch, velocity amount, and change key assign mode to "R"etrigger (am a heavy sustain pedal player... and find it's needed). :)  I also tend to use my OB for specific sonic duties in my setup -- so it's great to try sounds that others have pulled together.  Maybe I'll post up a set of screen grabs.  No comments on my Moog Lead up there... I probably should do a vid playing it / or post an acc/mp3 of the sound.  It's a ringer for the video I posted though...

Joe

Jdoo

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
Well.. may as well start posting up stuff.. see what happens.   :)

Here is a screen shot for Styx "Fooling Yourself" Lead.  This is pretty straight forward lead patch slathered with chorus and BBD effects.  Portamento to match the song, along with aftertouch for LFO (which I prefer to the mod wheel for this patch). 

JDoo

Jdoo

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Three for the weekend.  Two effects... and one traditional (Organ).  The organ is for a cover I do of Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer in the City".  You need to give the modwheel a slight crank, to bring in Vibrato (I dink around with the setting too much to have just set it).  Anyway - It's a descent 60's organ.  I have a handful of other Organ patches that I use - but don't typically use the OB for organ duties. The effects are copies from old Jupiter patches.. just dink around stuff..

Comments / suggestions would be appreciated!

Enjoy -

Joe

Another note too... while I am here.  The Hungedu patches are indeed excellent.   Spot-on is a great way to describe 'em

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:00:19 PM »
I'm leaning towards buying the Soundtower interfaces (for $99 it's probably worth both standalone and VST). Seems like both offerings (Synthet vs ST) are flawed at the moment, but the Soundtower interface seems like it's more efficient because it maps like the actual synth. I know that it's a soft argument, but I have found that SW versions of hardware that 'look like' the old, familiar versions are a lot more usable. I don't know why the Alexey chose to make a custom layout for Synthet, and I appreciate that he actually replies to email questions (as opposed to Soundtower), but...

Any reasons I should reconsider...i.e. new information in 2018?
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

Jdoo

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Probably depends on what you need, or are looking for.  The SoundTower standalone, I use a lot.  Primarily for patch management / creating setlists, saving off patches and banks in various states.  The morphing bits, can be fun to play around with too. 

OTOH, Alexy is *way* more readily available for support and such.  I just didn't/don't use the bits that he has programmed...

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 04:22:39 AM »
I have the holy grail patches for Van Halen "Jump" and Stevie Nicks "Stand Back". These are spot-on.

Yes, please! Anything Rush, etc. would be great, too! I just got my OB6 yesterday so I'll be a net taker for a bit but hope to change that down the road.
DSI Mopho SE / DSI Prophet Rev2-16 / DSI OB-6 / Roland D-50 / Roland Juno DS88