USB MIDI Lag ?

USB MIDI Lag ?
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
Had the opportunity to try a REV2/16 keys, Plugged into a PC via USB. Noticed playing notes over USB MIDI resulted in a noticeable (not acceptable) delay when the sound started to come out of the REV2. Using the same setup with a P6 desktop fine. Wonder if anyone has experienced such issue.

Re: USB MIDI Lag ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
No problems here using the rev2 via USB on a Mac. My daw is Cubase.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 03:02:37 AM »
Yes I have notice the same issue over USB using Ableton Live
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
This is fairly common for MIDI devices when interacting with computers, and not a fault of the Rev2. Depending on your DAW, you may need to adjust the MIDI Delay Compensation parameter in the DAW itself and that will take care any lag you're experiencing.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
I disagree that this is a common issue with synths, I have 4 other synths all connected by USB none of which have any lag, only the REV2 has the lag issue.
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:39:31 AM »
I have a P12  module via USB and many other synths via a USB to DIN MIDI interface and they don't experience the exceptional long lag as I found on the REV2.(Actually I don't feel any delay at all) As said I also tried it on a P6 Module and no lag at all. For me, this is a show-stopper acquiring an REV2 Module., It makes the REV2 via USB/MIDI unplayable. If any one could compare the lag on DIN and USB using an external keyboard  ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:44:56 AM by musicmaker »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »
I haven't noticed any lag/delay myself, using Windows 7 and Bitwig 2 on a relatively light laptop (i3 and only 3Gbytes memory). Even when the Rev2 is connected via a (powered) USB hub. I also have a Blofeld and a Roland System-1 connected in the same way and they behave well together when sequenced through Bitwig 2.

Using the Rev2 as master keyboard, routing via Bitwig 2, I can play the Blofeld without noticing any delay. Sequencing two Rev2 layers over two MIDI channels, in multimode, is working fine also (except for the identical note bug on two separate MIDI channels).

I am not sure if this helps. Bitwig 2 has improved the handling of external MIDI instruments dramatically since version 1. It is much easier to avoid accidental MIDI loops. Clock signals can be independently switched on/off per MIDI hardware device. When I sequence the Rev 2, in slave mode, I must make sure only one of the channels sends MIDI clock (obvious in retrospect of course). The Rev 2 behaves erratic when receiving two MIDI clock signals simultaneously (as one would expect as clock signal is not channel specific).
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Propheteer

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
Not had this issue here at all! ALmost instant response even when my audio buffers are set high, a few MS latency at worst which is no issue. Triggering it from my DAW's Piano Roll (ugh.. for testing only) shows basically instant response, over USB.

Windows 10 64bit, Studio One, USB3 port (if that even makes any difference to rev2)

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
Went back to the store, same unit. Updated the F/W to the latest version. Same issue (USB MIDI). Need to confess: The problem only happens on Linux  (Ubuntu 17.04 this case with the ALSA Virtual MIDI keyboard application). Windows 10 is OK. Switched the same PC to a P6 desktop under Linux and everything was fine, no lag at all. This is the first product I have seen this very notice-able lag under Linux of about a a quarter to half a second. Will need to spend more time with the REV2 to debug this further for example to test with DIN cables and an external USB MIDI interface. Until having figured out the cause and solution, the REV2 will be on hold for consuming  pocket money.

P.S: Yes, you will say, oh it's just a Linux user, but well, yes, they do exist and maybe even more surprising, they also use synthesizers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:24:18 AM by musicmaker »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:48 AM »
Went back to the store, same unit. Updated the F/W to the latest version. Same issue (USB MIDI). Need to confess: The problem only happens on Linux  (Ubuntu 17.04 this case with the ALSA Virtual MIDI keyboard application). Windows 10 is OK. Switched the same PC to a P6 desktop under Linux and everything was fine, no lag at all. This is the first product I have seen this very notice-able lag under Linux of about a a quarter to half a second. Will need to spend more time with the REV2 to debug this further for example to test with DIN cables and an external USB MIDI interface. Until having figured out the cause and solution, the REV2 will be on hold for consuming  pocket money.

P.S: Yes, you will say, oh it's just a Linux user, but well, yes, they do exist and maybe even more surprising, they also use synthesizers.
Wow another Linux user. Please let me know how you are driving the Rev2 (software and hardware) from Linux. I might be able to assist here.

Currently I am running Ubuntu 16.01.1 LTS, with Linux kernel: 4.4.0-96-lowlatency #119-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT. Audio MIDI interface is a Creative E-MU 0404 USB. I am using Audacity to record audio from the external instruments and effect units. I use Ardour to mix / master the recorded tracks on Linux.

My MIDI setup is running from Bitwig on Windows 7, as I am still using some VSTs. I want to eventually move towards a 100% hardware setup (no laptops/computers involved except for composing) and get rid of Windoze as soon as possible. My short term plan is to run Bitwig 2 from Linux (I have Bitwig 1 running on both Windows and Linux).

DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 08:37:41 AM »
The PC was Ubuntu version 14 or so using non non-latency kernel, just via USB on a notebook with a USB 2 port. I noticed that lag was more  using the mouse with the VMPK application. Pressing the keys on the keyboard in VMPK, the response felt a bit better but not perfect. But the same configuration has no latency with a P6 desktop and the same NB. I upgraded the NB to 17.10 with low latency kernel now.  I use Bitwig 1 as well but did not try it (waiting till the day BW supports LV2 to upgrade or when there are more reasons to upgrade).  Someday I hope to go back to the store and try this again with this new configuration , BW and will use a MIDISPORT 2x2 as well for comparison.