Different audio behaviour if MIDI is sent or received

Different audio behaviour if MIDI is sent or received
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Hi guys,

I had the chance to get a DSI Pro Rev 2 a week ago and I'm really enjoying it.
However, there is something i could not solve so far and that made me desperate for the last couple of nights:

The synth is connected in USB to my laptop running Live Ableton through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The L & R audio outs of the Rev go into the analog in of the Focusrite.

When the midi input in Live is not configured yet to receive midi from the Rev, the sound I get from the Rev seems "normal", with normal control of ADSR.
As soon as I configure the right midi input in Live, the same program in the Rev does not behave the same way: I don't have anymore sustain, the cutoff is lower.

I am still able to record my midi sequence though, but what i monitor is very different. However, when I playback my midi sequence from Live sent to the Rev, the program sounds as it was originally, with the right ADSR, cutoff...

I did the same in Protools and I got the same results.
I thought I was not sending the right midi info in a way or the other, so I tried to edit all the midi parameters from the Rev and Protools but could find the solution :(

Do you guys have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks very much for your help and your time !

Re: Different audio behaviour if MIDI is sent or received
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »
Hi,

Sorry if I got you wrong, but this is PRO2 page, not Prophet Rev 2 page.
The latter is shown below:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/board,34.0.html

Hope you get your trouble solved soon.
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »
Oops, sorry. Thanks for the link, I'll repost it there.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
These sort of issues are nearly always caused by midi loops, where the midi from the synth goes into the DAW and then the DAW sends the midi back to the synth.

This is particularly easy to get wrong in Live. If you have the midi tack set to have the input and output to the Pro 2 then you have a midi loop, if you want to work like this you need to set "Local Off" on the Pro2 or what I do is to have two midi tracks for synths, one set with the input midi off and one with the output midi off. Record to the track that has the midi in on and midi out off, then drag the clip to the track with the midi in off and the midi out on for playing.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
These sort of issues are nearly always caused by midi loops, where the midi from the synth goes into the DAW and then the DAW sends the midi back to the synth.

This is particularly easy to get wrong in Live. If you have the midi tack set to have the input and output to the Pro 2 then you have a midi loop, if you want to work like this you need to set "Local Off" on the Pro2 or what I do is to have two midi tracks for synths, one set with the input midi off and one with the output midi off. Record to the track that has the midi in on and midi out off, then drag the clip to the track with the midi in off and the midi out on for playing.

Working with 2 MIDI tracks is actually a perfect workaround, thank you very much! I didn't know that simple MIDI loops could cause this kind of issue as the Rev is my first synth. Now I understand better one of the purpose of having a master keyboard in addition to some other synths that could do the job.
Thanks again, now I can fully discover and enjoy this beautiful piece of gear!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Good stuff that you have it sorted.

Midi loops can cause lots of weird things, I think the two tracks approach in Live works well, otherwise turning "local off" on the synth is the only way and then depending on your "in", "auto", "off" setting on the live track you have to keep toggling local on/off on the synth which is a pain in the arse.