Sequence with keyboard

Sequence with keyboard
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:51:08 AM »
Hi everbody,

just got a used Mopho x4. I like how it sounds (and I love the modulation possibilities on the modern DSI instruments), but I'm somewhat annoyed with the fact that you can't type in sequence values with the keyboard.

I guess this is a question that pops up every now and then, but why not make the keyboard an alternative input source. Press one note, the note becomes the value of the active step and the sequencer automatically moves forward to the next step. I'm not talking just about sequencing pitch/frequency, this would be useful for every available seq destination.

The lowest key would correspond to parameter value 0, the highest 127, and all the others in between. None of the Mophos have 128 keys, obviously, so you might want to fine tune the parameter value using the knobs (as you do now), but it would still be great, me thinks.

Is there any point of suggesting this to the developers (probably for the 1000 time, I'm guessing)?

chysn

Re: Sequence with keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
Is there any point of suggesting this to the developers (probably for the 1000 time, I'm guessing)?

Development-wise, it's safe to say that DSI considers the Mopho a finished product. It's a solid operating system without too many bugs, so it is what it is.

This was actually a feature on the Evolver that didn't get carried over to the Prophet/Mopho for some reason. There are a few other such features, like the MIDI note number destination and the "Lock Sequence" feature. There seemed to be a slight shift in philosophy from a "kitchen sink" approach to something that's maybe a little simpler but more polished. I had both at various points, and I wouldn't trade the Mopho's sequencer for the Evolver's.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Sequence with keyboard
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
I have no experience of the Evolver's sequencer, but I'm thinking it would be nice with both the ability to program via keyboard and dial in the value as already is the case.