Mono guitar effects for Prophet 08

Mono guitar effects for Prophet 08
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
I have been checking out stereo reverbs and delays for my prophet 08.. mostly tc electronic or digitech... There are more mono effect pedals than stereo ones.. any idea how to connect them and should i prefer stereo ones..?

Re: Mono guitar effects for Prophet 08
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
If you are using a mixer with aux sends, or have sends available via an audio interface, you can send both left and right channels into the effect.

Also this from the FAQ in the manual if you don't have the above option:

"Are you using both the Left and Right outputs? The Prophet ’08 does not have a mono output, though you can turn all the panning controls off in a program and effectively turn both outputs into mono outs. (Note that there is a production error in the very earliest Prophet ’08 Keyboards where the Main Left output is labelled “Left/Mono.” This is incorrect and has been changed in subsequent production runs.) A soon-to-be-released version of the OS (versions above Main 1.3 Keyboard/Main 1.4 Module) includes the ability to globally switch between stereo and mono."

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »
Moinmoin,

the method described by hoodoo_ray is exactly what I use to good effect ;-)

This also allows for effects with mono input, but stereo output like some choruses, my beloved MIDI-MuRF, etc.
I connect both P'08 output pairs to the mixer inputs and use the pre (I sometimes use MIDI-MuRF without the original signal) and post (chorus, reverb, ...) aux sends for the effects. The effect returns are then fed back into the mixer.
This requires some knob tweaking and being alert in live situations, but I prefer flexibility over simplicity.
This setup also allows me to feed the P'08 - and other instruments - into the VCF of an old analog synth, enabling high pass filtering, very flexible wahs, etc.

If You want to use a setup like this, try to imagine all Your wishes and needs, then select Your mixer accordingly. My personal choice - Soundcraft M4 - resulted mainly from its 2 pre and 2 post aux facilities.

HTH

Martin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies!