REV2 suddenly goes totally out of tune.

REV2 suddenly goes totally out of tune.
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
So my replacement REV2 has been fine & dandy for 5 days, but all of a sudden out of the blue tonight it suddenly went out totally of tune!!! :(
Literally one minute it was fine and the next it sounded horrible.
No problem I thought, its probably just that the oscillators need recalibrating, so promptly recallibrated them only to find I still had exactly the same problem.
I powered the REV2 down and then back up and still the problem persisted.
To bring it back into tune I had to go to Master Fine tune in Globals and select a value of....wait for it...-36!
My problem isn't that it's out of tune so much, it's that it went out of tune to such a degree in an instant.
I mean these are DCO's not VCO's after all so you'd expect them to be stable.
I'd dread to think of me being in a live situation and that happening, it's just not good.
I have to be candid and admit that this latest issue has me starting to lose my confidence in the synth.
I mean an instrument that just intermittently loses tune is not playable.
I'll upload a video showing what I mean later, but just gutted tbh, really gutted. :(

Re: REV2 suddenly goes totally out of tune.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
Try the wheel calibration located in the Global menu. If that's not it, please respond to your support ticket and we'll get you sorted out. It's likely something that can be fixed by calibrating somewhere. As always, writing support directly will be the fastest way to resolve your issue.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »
I had a similar issue. Turned out to be something wrong with the pitch wheel or where it connected. DSI was super cool about it.

You should def reach out to them but one bit of troubleshooting just to confirm its a pitch wheel problem is to change the pitch bend range in "Misc Parameters" to 0 and see if your still having the issue.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
Try the wheel calibration located in the Global menu. If that's not it, please respond to your support ticket and we'll get you sorted out. It's likely something that can be fixed by calibrating somewhere. As always, writing support directly will be the fastest way to resolve your issue.

Thanks, yes that seems to have remedied it. :)

My big concern now though is how this just happened without warning literally whilst I was in the middle of playing it.

And I wasn't even using the pitch or Mod wheels at the time of playing, so there's no logical reason why they should suddenly send the tuning doolally.

If I'd have owned it for 18 months and then this randomly happened that'd be one thing, but to do it after just 5 days is  worrying. It's not something you would expect to have to recalibrate and I'd worry now about it suddenly happening again.:(

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
Glad it was an easy fix. Often times when the main board is disconnected from the wheels, or the voice expansion is added or removed it's a good idea to calibrate the wheels. Since you just replaced your mainboard it's unlikely it'll happen again anytime soon, if ever.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks, but I didn't replace the board my retailer sent me a brand new replacement REV2, so I've not been inside this one REV2 at all.

Lets hope that's the end of it and that it'll behave from now on (fingers crossed).

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:59:25 AM »
Are you rocking the 8 voice or 16?

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
Are you rocking the 8 voice or 16?

It's a 16 voice model. :)