2 extern synths, but they affect each others parameters.. ? Logic X

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me.
I recently got into external synths. I have a Dave Smith REV-2 synth and a Moog Minitaur hooked up to my logic session.

Both sounds come through. But so weird, they both influence each other.. Scrolling through banks on the REV2 makes the Minitaur change its sounds too.
In the REV2 i have the midi channel on 2. In Logic the REV2 channel has midi 2 as well.
I did the same for the Minitaur, but there it is Midichannel 3.
So both have their own channel etc.
I had some issues before with the REV-2 in Logic though, certain parameters on the REV2 went back to 0 after turning the knob, and the cutoff knob was suddenly attached tot the volume slider of the Logic X External Instrument plugin... (these problems only occured within Logic ) I found 'bypassing All Control Surfaces' took care of this problem

I think its a Logic thing, maybe I am dong something wrong in the setup? Its so frustrating, I want them to behave separately

hope to hear from someone!

Bart

Re: 2 extern synths, but they affect each others parameters.. ? Logic X
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »
hmmm i think within the Minitaur Editor I had send and receive ON..

Not sure

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:50:56 AM »
nope, still got the issue

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
sounds like one or both the synths have midi receive all switch on, worth a check. I assume you've set them up using the external instrument plugin in LogicX!
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
on the Minitaur it was on indeed! it made a difference. Couldnt find it on the REV2 yet?

I indeed use that External Plugin. Weird thing was as well: when I click on the Logic channel of REV2, the record button turned red. When red, I could change a paramer on the REV2 with the Moog, but not vice versa (probably cause I turned off midi receive and send on the Moog.

So gonna see if i can find it on the REV2 as well

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
You also need to make sure the midi value is set to CC and not nrpn and turn the local control off.
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

kobuz

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
Logic sends all incoming midi to the channelstrip that is selected. So when the minitaur channelstrip is selected, anything you do on the prophet will be send to the minitaur, no matter what midichannel the prophet is sending on. The same goes of course the other way around, if you select the rev2 channelstrip and work the minitaur, the midi will be sent to the rev2.

A very anoying way of working, unless you go into the midi environment and do some routings yourself. Some googling on how logic handles midi and multiple external synths is advisable.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
Thanks everyone!

@kobuz

I think I get what you mean! When clicking a channel in Logic, the R button automatically turns red, everytime! So when toggled ON it receives MIDI, not matter what I did with sending synths to whatever MIDIchannel. it just receives..
When I click the R button off, it stops..

Very annoying!!

But I got what I wanted before, they dont affect each other in the way that turning a knob on one does someting with the sound of the other...

sEIGu

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Got the same effect with MainStage3, what's the same engine running as Logic Pro. Didn't test it on Logic yet, but i managed the problem in Mainstage with disabling Midi CC for the selected inputcontroller - in this case the Rev2.

Seems to be feature of Logic, not a problem of any synth-manufacturer.