Recreating this string sound

Recreating this string sound
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »
I know this should be easy but I just can't nail it on my 08.. its the theme tune to the film Mullholland Dr.

Anyone with any tips how to recreate this synth sounds (particularly the high register)?

Any help welcome! Cheers.

Re: Recreating this string sound
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
I know this should be easy but I just can't nail it on my 08.. its the theme tune to the film Mullholland Dr.

Anyone with any tips how to recreate this synth sounds (particularly the high register)?

He's a D-50 / MKS-70 / DX-7 / Rhodes kind of guy, apparently, but it definitely sounds as if there's some sort of synthetic string sample underneath there somewhere.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:40:15 AM »

I think the Prophet '08 could create this patch just fine, but it's too complicated to describe every detail of the patch.  In general, I find the key to this sort of realistic string patch is in adding a delayed vibrato (although there doesn't seem to be one in the above patch) and a very subtle and slow opening and closing of the filter through the envelope, with the filter sustain set to zero.   The 2-pole filter setting is often preferable to the 4-pole, since the former is gentler and the latter sometimes a bit too harsh.  It also helps to combine one oscillator of PWM (the rate set according to the lowest note used) with one oscillator of sawtooth, and to use an LFO to very slowly and slightly modulate the filter during sustained notes/chords.  Other than that, the Release times have to be set to suit the music that will be played.  There's no such thing, really, as a general string patch.  You've got to adopt it to the music.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:05:04 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »

He's a D-50 / MKS-70 / DX-7 / Rhodes kind of guy, apparently, but it definitely sounds as if there's some sort of synthetic string sample underneath there somewhere.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think I read somewhere as well he used the Korg 01/W quite a bit too, so it could be a preset on one of those. I think I also read somewhere that he often layers synth strings with orchestrated strings, though it's hard to tell on this particular example - to my amateur ears anyway!

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »

I think the Prophet '08 could create this patch just fine, but it's too complicated to describe every detail of the patch.  In general, I find the key to this sort of realistic string patch is in adding a delayed vibrato (although there doesn't seem to be one in the above patch) and a very subtle and slow opening and closing of the filter through the envelope, with the filter sustain set to zero.   The 2-pole filter setting is often preferable to the 4-pole, since the former is gentler and the latter sometimes a bit too harsh.  It also helps to combine one oscillator of PWM (the rate set according to the lowest note used) with one oscillator of sawtooth, and to use an LFO to very slowly and slightly modulate the filter during sustained notes/chords.  Other than that, the Release times have to be set to suit the music that will be played.  There's no such thing, really, as a general string patch.  You've got to adopt it to the music.

Thanks for the tips! I'm not after a general string patch, I have plenty of those saved up - I just can't seem to nail this particular one. Generally speaking, I think the P08 is exceptional at string sounds. But, thanks for the tips and I'll try to build one up the way you described and see what I can do!