NAMM leak from Waldorf look REALLY good!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
NAMM leak from Waldorf look REALLY good!
« on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
Well... this looks rather interresting... I was waiting for something like this from DSI, but maybe my other favourite company beat them to it :)

If the leak is real I do not know... guess we'll just have to wait and see ...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

Re: NAMM leak from Waldorf look REALLY good!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Interesting integration of analog and digital sounds. And then not as its still just an oscillator-filter-amp model. But certainly looking nice. Great idea with samples and analog filters together. Hope DSI goes in the same direction one day with a DSI Class Sound Engine (TM) rather than just a few parameters.

Wondering if Waldorf would have deleted a similar DSI leak from their forum?

Thanks for the spoiler anyway!

. o O ( :-X )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
Interesting integration of analog and digital sounds. And then not as its still just an oscillator-filter-amp model. But certainly looking nice. Great idea with samples and analog filters together. Hope DSI goes in the same direction one day with a DSI Class Sound Engine (TM) rather than just a few parameters.

Wondering if Waldorf would have deleted a similar DSI leak from their forum?

Thanks for the spoiler anyway!

. o O ( :-X )

It could all be vaporware conjured up by someone, but honestly... the name of it, the design and the specs seem reasonable enough... These pictures was found on a facebook synthesizer group by the way, so deleting them here would really not serve any purpose  :)

But did you see the flash specs? ... 128 GB of flash!!! ... if this is real, I'm getting this for certain, mainly because with 128GB of flash sample memory, the old problem of having your whole sample library available on the fly is finaly possible with a hardware sampler device... I'd never be able to fill up 128GB of samples in this thing.

The ananlog multimode filter is exactly what I've been waiting for too... it will probably be monophonic though, but probably in a paraphonic way... they did this with both the Rocket and Streichfett allready... and to top it all off with the stringer ensemble and a few other interresting FX is cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this is for real :)

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
Interesting, although I was rather hoping for a synth based on the nw1 module, which in turn makes me wonder whether Waldorf will ever release a bigger product like the 'old' Waldorf (= 1988-2004) again.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:59:12 PM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:19 AM »
I'd agree that the specs is probably not for a top of the line synth, but this device is not meant to be if it's real... it's no doubt another synth in the rocket/streichfett/2-pole line as the design clearly show... and that means CHEAP! ... and if this thing will be in the same league pricewise, then it's a steal! ... and a serious contender to the KORG Volca Sample.

Besides, I doubt that all specs are shown... it looks as if in a very early stage of design, and I would not be surprised, if this thing is only demo'd or disclosed on NAMM 2016... we all know Waldorf and their "timing".

The thing I'm mostly interrested in, is knowing if this thing will be polyphonic, samplewise... routed thru the one multimode filter... if it's not polyphonic it will loose my interrest probably, since I allready have my V-Synth GT ... but still... the huge 128GB flash storage space is tempting... VERY tempting! ... I may actualy get one for the simple fact that it could be used as a machine for firing off FX samples, loops, singleshot samples in general... all in all it would be a really handy little tool as long as the 128GB flash is for real.

Another important spec is if it's stereo-capable... but I doubt it... since that would require two multimode filters... but who knows...

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »
Hmmm…

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 05:08:07 AM »
Nice find, Paul Dither! Wonder if its a tabletop Mellotron emulation? Would be cool if its polyphonic and have analog filters.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 05:21:50 AM »
Nice find, Paul Dither! Wonder if its a tabletop Mellotron emulation? Would be cool if its polyphonic and have analog filters.

That synth line Waldorf makes are usualy cheap as hell, so do NOT expect polyphonic filters here :)

dslsynth

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 05:30:30 AM »
That synth line Waldorf makes are usualy cheap as hell, so do NOT expect polyphonic filters here :)

One or two analog filters depending on mono or stereo analog signal path. So essentially it could be a paraphonic sampler keyboard if its polyphonic.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Not sure whether it'll cover Mellotron sounds exclusively, but it surely is based on those early samplers. I'd agree with Razmo on the filters.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
It has to be mellotron style.... otherwise the 128GB flash will not make any sense at all. It seems from the picture, that it allready has some "ROM" samples and then only FOUR user slots for your own.... if that few preset samples are possible, they'd have to be really long sampled loops (like Mellotron) and with a sample for each key.... if not, this would be a god damned waste of flash memory for sure! ... it probably is anyway, unless there are more stuff under the hood than can be seen from that picture.

I don't see the Streichfett Ensemble button anywhere, and it's not in the FX section either, but it's mentioned in the first pictures I posted... so if that has been left out, it's a bit of a bummer in my opinion.

All in all, it looks like a fun little box... but if I'll be getting one I really don't know yet. With only 4 user slots for samples, the usability for me has sunken dramatically... I'm a lot more keen on the new KORG teaser...

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »
Quite a bit of it makes no sense.

128GB is around 128 hours of mono audio at 24 bit 96K, or 64 hours of stereo.

dslsynth

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
Device with SD card slot? If so its probably just the size of the largest flash card it can handle.

. o O ( back seat driver )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
could be.

Where did the 128GB figure come from?

The mock ups look funny as well, why would they have 'Not to release till NAMM 2016" on them, seems fishy to me.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »
A paraphonic Mellotron would make the cheesiest string sound imaginable.

dslsynth

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
A paraphonic Mellotron would make the cheesiest string sound imaginable.

By which I mean that the (analog?) filters are common to all sample voices whereas the sample playback engine is polyphonic. Oh and some will surely love german cheese! ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Oh and some will surely love german cheese! ;)

On a German synth forum, they recently made up some really gross names for future Waldorf products…

dslsynth

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
On a German synth forum, they recently made up some really gross names for future Waldorf products…

Sound interesting! Please list the best of them including translations into (im)proper english.

:-X . o O ( better try controlling my fawlty towers style humor )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

Sound interesting! Please list the best of them including translations into (im)proper english.

:-X . o O ( better try controlling my fawlty towers style humor )

Are you desperate for some explicit language?  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:39 PM »
Are you desperate for some explicit language?  ;D

I know its a sensitive topic but more likely overestimating the strength of my heels! ;)

Besides: Would love to see a analog oscillator and wave table oscillator machine based on Pulse 2 from Waldorf.
#!/bin/sh