Want to sell Prophet '08 for the 6?

Want to sell Prophet '08 for the 6?
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Hey everyone, I purchased the prophet '08 about a year ago and although its a great synth I just kept hearing the 6 is much more warmer in sounds and better suited for hip hop type instrumentals. My thing is what do you guys feel about selling the '08 for the 6?

any suggestions on where is a good place to put it up for sale besides craigslist?

Re: Want to sell Prophet '08 for the 6?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
I love my P6, and wouldn't trade for a P'08, but if you like the 08 (especially if it's a PE), I would consider keeping it a while and diving in to tweak sounds to your liking or checking out some of the many commercial banks out there - http://www.alanmarcero.com is amazing. His 08 bank is titled Trance, but many of the patches are really versatile.

It's all about how happy you are with the '08. The '08 layers are a plus, but P6 FX and VCF are great. However, if you trim the VCA release on some trancey '08 patches or are sampling/chopping then you can record with dryer sounds and add FX in the mix, or from a sampler.

;J
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:56:15 PM by abstrktd »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:24:03 PM »
I think you're buying a little too much into folks overhyping VCOs over DCOs. Radiohead and Thom Yorke always got amazing/warm sounds out of the 08 (as with plenty of other artists). Also excuse my ignorance of the genre, but I wasn't aware that hip-hop was all that concerned with warm tones... Trip-hop or IDM on the other hand I can see.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »
I think you're buying a little too much into folks overhyping VCOs over DCOs. Radiohead and Thom Yorke always got amazing/warm sounds out of the 08 (as with plenty of other artists). Also excuse my ignorance of the genre, but I wasn't aware that hip-hop was all that concerned with warm tones... Trip-hop or IDM on the other hand I can see.

Do you think the Prophet 6 is better than '08 when it comes to creating quick sounds ? I wanna try and combine prophet 6 sounds with the Moog minitaur bass together and see how that comes out

they are not that concerned but it makes a difference in your overall sound especially with how recycled most rap beats are nowadays.
Besides phantogram I dont know any other dope trip hop artists. Could you name a few that are on the same sound as phantogram maybe? I'd love to check em out.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:14 AM »
Do you think the Prophet 6 is better than '08 when it comes to creating quick sounds ? I wanna try and combine prophet 6 sounds with the Moog minitaur bass together and see how that comes out

The Minitaur would work well together with either the Prophet '08 or the Prophet-6. If it's about creating sounds quicker, the Prophet-6 might be for you. But depending on your needs you should also consider that it offers considerably less options in terms of modulation. It's a much simpler synth compared to the Prophet '08. So with regard to its functionality, it would only make sense to get one if you want to minimize parameter choices in favor of your workflow. Beyond that, you should just check one out in a store to find out if it suits your sonic needs. After all, the Prophet '08 and the Prophet-6 sound different from each other - not like night and day, but different enough. Since sound should be the number one deciding factor for any instrument choice, this is really the first thing you should do.

I did sell my Prophet '08 for the Prophet-6 because I preferred its sound over the former. As for its limitations or its more conservative engine, I also have to mention that I deliberately chose the Prophet-6 as a counterpart to my modulation heavy Pro 2, not because I prefer less synthesis choices in general. Despite the Prophet-6 being a relatively simple synth, though, it has to be pointed out that it's far more capable at producing a wide range of sounds than one might imagine by just looking at its front panel.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
I prefer the P6 over any of the other Prophets I've played simply because it's so basic and simple to use. Sometimes less is more and when you have less capabilities in terms of modulation it forces you to be more creative and figure out ways to get the sound that's in your head. I would actually prefer if DSI stayed with the numerical screen as a menu and kept everything on the front panel.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Sometimes less is more and when you have less capabilities in terms of modulation it forces you to be more creative and figure out ways to get the sound that's in your head.

That's definitely what I would consider to be one of the strongest points about the Prophet-6 as well. And the really good thing is that it's by far not as sonically limited as one might expect at first sight.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »

The Minitaur would work well together with either the Prophet '08 or the Prophet-6. If it's about creating sounds quicker, the Prophet-6 might be for you. But depending on your needs you should also consider that it offers considerably less options in terms of modulation. It's a much simpler synth compared to the Prophet '08. So with regard to its functionality, it would only make sense to get one if you want to minimize parameter choices in favor of your workflow. Beyond that, you should just check one out in a store to find out if it suits your sonic needs. After all, the Prophet '08 and the Prophet-6 sound different from each other - not like night and day, but different enough. Since sound should be the number one deciding factor for any instrument choice, this is really the first thing you should do.

I did sell my Prophet '08 for the Prophet-6 because I preferred its sound over the former. As for its limitations or its more conservative engine, I also have to mention that I deliberately chose the Prophet-6 as a counterpart to my modulation heavy Pro 2, not because I prefer less synthesis choices in general. Despite the Prophet-6 being a relatively simple synth, though, it has to be pointed out that it's far more capable at producing a wide range of sounds than one might imagine by just looking at its front panel.

thanks for your feedback! it put things in perspective for me