Triggering the Arp

Triggering the Arp
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
Hi,
I just purchased a REV2 and it's on its way! I really can't wait.

One question I had, I understand that the arp cannot be 'beat synced', only key synced, which is fine (though it would be cool for beat sync in an update ;)).

I am planning on triggering the arp from an external drum machine, in particular I was planning on routing a track from my TR8 to a dedicated out and then go into the Arp of the Rev2. I am hoping that the rhythm on the dedicated drum track will trigger the arp in a synced rhythm.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience doing this with the Rev2?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Triggering the Arp
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
This is one of the express purposes of the Sequencer Jack! Set the Sequencer Pedal Mode global parameter to "Trigger", send a trigger pulse from your drum machine, enable the arp and you're off to the races.

I haven't personally done this with the TR8, but the Sequencer Jack circuitry is designed to work with a wide range of output impedances from other gear. Just send a sound with a sharp transient attack, such as a rimshot, from one of the TR8's assignable outs to the Prophet Rev2's Sequencer Jack.

This configuration is inherently "beat synced". When configured as listed above, the arp/poly sequencer will progress one note/step at the moment a trigger is received.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:53:16 AM »
Hi,

Did it work with the TR8?

I just tried it with various audio signals (click sounds, digitally generated short square signal), nothing worked. I wasn't brave enough with the volume because I don't know much about the dB-voltage relation. Is it possible that my signal wasn't loud enough?

When I connect the cable to the sequencer input jack or unplug it, the sequencer makes a step. So I guess REV2 is set correctly.

Does anyone have some experience with this?

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:23:59 AM »
Hey there,
I feed mine pulses from all kinds of sources (very different values; both analog and digitally made pulses and audio)
and haven’t had any problems (except in some conditions the Prophet looses a click/trigger -I think it has something to with the ‘state’ the presets and the synth is in).

You surely are not using a powerful enough signal (might also be that your sound card is AC coupled, which means it will not be sufficient).
One trick I’ve had work is using a guitar pedal in between, as it raises the energy/volume and Peak To Peak Voltage (I presume).

Take that even further and use a 100% Wet Digital Delay to move the trigger back and forth in time ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:26:16 AM by hageir »