Current State of Legato/Glide?

Current State of Legato/Glide?
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:15:52 AM »
Last I checked, an OS update allowed some limited Glide functionality.  Is this still the case with the Final OS and, if so, what exactly is the available functionality?
Thanks
:)

RobH

Re: Current State of Legato/Glide?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:50:46 AM »
It works for me I'm not sure if any limitation but if I dial I some glide the oscillators do exhibit portomento characteristics. Last I tried both modes gave different glide response too if I remember correctly.

I do remember some problems with glide but without trawling through the beta/yorgospatchcomplaintthread I cannot say what it was or if it was fully fixed.

I defo get some glide though seperate for each analog osc.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
I seem to recall something about the Legato/Glide 'FixRate A' and 'FixTime A' modes being removed. I could be mistaken as I have no access to Tempest at moment. Perhaps someone could clarify?

RobH

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
I seem to recall something about the Legato/Glide 'FixRate A' and 'FixTime A' modes being removed. I could be mistaken as I have no access to Tempest at moment. Perhaps someone could clarify?

Seems to work for me, checked that it works on both oscillators and the sub, both modes do give a different response like i already said, for me at least it seems to be fine you would have to ask John The Savage if its working as intended but i think it is at least.

Sounds great too!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
Well, there used to be 4 glide modes in total, but the secondary "legato" modes - Fixed Rate 'A' and Fixed Time 'A' (documented in the original manual) - have since been removed from the operating system and the U.I. altogether.  But they never worked to begin with.

The standard glide modes, on the other hand, are still there and functioning.  The one proviso being that glide only works *correctly if you have the sound in question assigned to a voice.

Cheers!

RobH

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
Well, there used to be 4 glide modes in total, but the secondary "legato" modes - Fixed Rate 'A' and Fixed Time 'A' (documented in the original manual) - have since been removed from the operating system and the U.I. altogether.  But they never worked to begin with.

The standard glide modes, on the other hand, are still there and functioning.  The one proviso being that glide only works *correctly if you have the sound in question assigned to a voice.

Cheers!

Thanks for the clarification John! If no one had ever said "it has 4 modes" everyone would be none the wiser and think it works perfectly, which it does, if you assign a voice, i think we'll call that a win ;)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, and clearing up the answer John.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »
Thanks to this thread I started messing with glide modes....works great. For my crazy lead perc for upcoming track. Mind you I am not a keyboardist so it's not like I would understand the nuances of the different modes and lost modes...
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Stoss

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
Fixed Rate A and Fixed Time A worked for me when I first bought my Tempest. It was really cool for sequencing a bass line. It was broken around the same time that the "Flam" issue was trying to be fixed. Which was shortly after I purchased my Tempest. It remained on the bug list for years. It was hard to watch it never be fixed while other non-requested features were added. I never understood at the time (and still don't to this day) if it was a technical impossibility or something that never received the needed effort.

Stoss

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 07:27:51 AM »
The 4 glide modes are covered on page 29 of the Tempest manual.

Pidcin

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Can someone explain with presets how to create a simple saw wave bass sound that has legato, so even when I keep my fingers on a key, then press another key, it goes to that one instead of playing a chord ?

RobH

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »

Can someone explain with presets how to create a simple saw wave bass sound that has legato, so even when I keep my fingers on a key, then press another key, it goes to that one instead of playing a chord ?

Assign a voice to the pad your synth is on.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »
Thanks ya'll!

Pidcin

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »

Assign a voice to the pad your synth is on.

Um yes. So for example , i have chosen a saw wave in osc 1. I have it set up and midi routed to my prophet 6 to access the notes on the keys. I toggle right until I hit glide mode and turn on fixrate A because it sounds like that's the closest to legato mode I want that allows you to hold a note and when a new note hits it plays that note instead of your last note that you're holding whether it be a higher note priority or lower. Is it possible that the legato I'm thinking of is simply note possible and they the glide mode fix rates are meant to be glide rather than legato ? Because I was explained by support at DSI that the legato is created by glide in the tempest . And I may have misunderstood but some clarification would be awesome .

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
It sounds like you understand the difference between glide and legato, so one last time for the record, the Tempest only does glide.  That's why the parameter is called "glide".  It does not do legato.  The legato functionality, despite being included in the original manual and operating system, never worked properly, was neglected for years, and was eventually removed from the U.I. altogether to avoid confusion.  Though, evidently, that hasn't worked —ahem!

At any rate, this was all explained, for the umpteenth time, in this very thread, which is all of ten posts long.  Read, folks, for the love of music, read...

I should probably stop answering questions around here (smirk).

Cheers!

Pidcin

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
It sounds like you understand the difference between glide and legato, so one last time for the record, the Tempest only does glide.  That's why the parameter is called "glide".  It does not do legato.  The legato functionality, despite being included in the original manual and operating system, never worked properly, was neglected for years, and was eventually removed from the U.I. altogether to avoid confusion.  Though, evidently, that hasn't worked —ahem!

At any rate, this was all explained, for the umpteenth time, in this very thread, which is all of ten posts long.  Read, folks, for the love of music, read...

I should probably stop answering questions around here (smirk).

Cheers!

Yes, very cheerful indeed.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:58 PM »
Deleted from an OS that is no longer in development. Right.

This OS should be OPEN SOURCE! What is there to be afraid of if you're no longer developing the software??

smh

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 04:42:40 AM »
Top government DSI secrets ;)
Deleted from an OS that is no longer in development. Right.

This OS should be OPEN SOURCE! What is there to be afraid of if you're no longer developing the software??

smh

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
What does that mean? Do you have insider knowledge? :)

Seriously though, I would like to know. If it goes open source I will be way less likely to sell

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
If that’s the reason you’re keeping it you might sell it as well cause it ain’t happening as stated by DSI stuff..As i’ve told top secret...
What does that mean? Do you have insider knowledge? :)

Seriously though, I would like to know. If it goes open source I will be way less likely to sell