Midi cc string for poly seq on/off?

Midi cc string for poly seq on/off?
« on: September 10, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
Any one tried this? I'm using a Gordius little giant as a midi controller. It can handle cc's and therefore nrpn( but nrpn isn't a menu option) so it has to be cc's have to be the format of input.. as in
Poly seq on:
Cc 99 value ?
Cc 98 value ?
Cc 06 value ?
Cc 38 value ?
And the same for poly seq off, with cc 38 value 001 most certainly.

This controller is also capable of sending sysex as well, so maybe that may work as well.

Thanks in advance!
-A

**** also nothing shows up on midi ox, or midi monitor or c6. Or even my Gordius when in midi monitor mode when selecting poly seq play. Everything else show up though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:11:40 PM by awjawjer »

Re: Midi cc string for poly seq on/off?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
UPDATE!

Got this very helpful bit of info from Carson @DSI. Also, some very helpful insight on folks who are new to using NRPN like me.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your inquiry, I would be happy to assist in answering your question.

The NRPN assignment values are as follows:

Poly Seq PLAY:
Cc 99 value 32
Cc 98 value 92
Cc 6 Value 0
Cc 38 value 1

Poly Seq STOP:
Cc 99 value 32
Cc 98 value 92
Cc 6 Value 0
Cc 38 value 0

You might also find the below information helpful in the future for determining the value of any NRPN messages you wish to send to the synth.

To send an NRPN to our synth (or any other device) you’ll see 4 MIDI CC messages per change. Here’s an example change using the LFO1 parameters, note that some values are in hex code in the format 0x##:

The value for LFO Frequency is 37 according to the manual 37 = 0x25 in hex (octal) code. Double check to see which your controller uses, this could easily cause confusion. If your controller sends 0x37 instead of 37 you would see LFO 4 Mod Destination changing since 0x37=55

Status       Data1         Data2       Event

0xB0         0x63          0x00        NRPN MSB

0xB0         0x62          0x25        NRPN LSB

0xB0         0x06          0x01        Data Entry MSB

0xB0         0x26          0x13        Data Entry LSB
Our synth sees this as a change to the NRPN value 0x25 (Which is 37 in decimal, per the manual LFO1 Freq) and sets it to the value set by MSB (Most Significant Byte) and LSB (Least Significant Byte). When doing a conversion:

(MSB * 128) + LSB = Value

Using the case above:

(0x01 * 128) + 0x13 = Value

Then convert all hex to decimal:

(1 * 128) + 19 = 147

If you are using a relative controller like an endless knob without a led status ring you’d probably want to set it to send NRPN Increment/Decrement messages:

Status       Data1         Data2       Event

0xB0         0x63          0x00        NRPN MSB

0xB0         0x62          0x25        NRPN LSB

0xB0         0x60 (0x61)   0x00        NRPN Increment (NRPN Decrement)
You can look at this 3 part blog post on NRPN written by our lead software engineer:

NRPN Basics

Hope that helps! Thank you for supporting DSI and have a nice day!

Thank you,

Carson
Dave Smith Instruments