Strymon BigSky + OB-6

Jdoo

Strymon BigSky + OB-6
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
While the built-in effects of the OB-6 are great... for me, they fell short for in the reverb area.  I've wanted a 'real' reverb unit for a long while now, and a couple of videos recently convinced me to give the Strymon BigSky a trry.   So a couple of weeks ago I picked one up through Sweetwater... yikes.  What a difference for pads / strings / ambient stuff.  They are pricey, but there's a good reason for that.  It is loaded, with multiple 'reverb machines' - each with unique settings / effects to what youre sending through it.  There's plenty written up about the BigSky .. so I'm not reviewing it per se - but mostly posted, to say... it augments the OB in an incredible way.

The first unit I was sent, was DOA.   Sweetwater sent out a replacement system, which I received a few days later, along with mailing packaging / routing for the return.  Was really a pain-free transaction, and two thumbs up for Sweetwater's service.

I routed the BigSky on an Aux send from my mixer, and have used it with everything I have.  It's really a fantastic unit, and though I am still learning my way around it - it's pretty easy to hone in on effects / timbres that you're looking for.  Anyway -- highly recommend, if you're looking to sweeten up the sound of your OB-6 or other gear.. give the Strymon BigSky a look.

Here is the video that initial sold me on the BigSky.  Of Note:  It took about 2 minutes to dial in the patch, on both the Strymon and the OB-6.  Seriously ... easily done. I used a string-brass patch I had on my OB, and lengthened the attack / decay... and modified a BigSky 'Sloud' reverb machine to match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNA5PSOlV7U

Also - there's a Peter Dyer - Strymon BigSky Reverb synth demo on YouTube.. that I used for inspiration (and it gives you a good idea of other keyboard-related timbre-altering reverbs you can get out of the BigSky.

Joe (no affiliation with Strymon . . . just passing on my opinion ) :)

Re: Strymon BigSky + OB-6
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
Ahh Reverb, got to love it. I find the OB's verb works sometimes. The lo-fi one, I forget what it's called right now, but I've achieved some nice smaller spaces with that one. I usually use UAD's reverbs though. I absolutely love the Lexi 224, AMS 16, EMT Plates 140 and 250. The AKG plate is next on my list. That thing is on another level for software verb. Their tape echoes are really good too. Tons of character.

Sweetwater does it right when you have to send something back. When I got my Sub37 it had to go back due to a slightly crooked keyboard and mod wheel panel. I sent it out on a Monday and got the replacement the next day. Couldn't believe it. Not even 24 hours.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Thought the same thing when I got my REV2. All the effects do the trick aside from the most important one, the reverb, which is why I bought the newly released Boss RV-500. It truly does bring an extra dimension to an already stellar sounding synth. 

Jdoo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
Thought the same thing when I got my REV2. All the effects do the trick aside from the most important one, the reverb, which is why I bought the newly released Boss RV-500. It truly does bring an extra dimension to an already stellar sounding synth.
Yeah, it was reverb that I was shooting for too.  I gave the RV-500 a look, but was snagged on a couple of the synth+BigSky videos.  I could have gone either way, but in the end - it was some of the Strymons reverb++ machines (Cloud, Chorale, and the delays in Magneto) that pushed me over the edge.  The RV-500 sounds incredible too, from the bits I've heard.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 03:58:15 AM »
While the built-in effects of the OB-6 are great... for me, they fell short for in the reverb area.  There's plenty written up about the BigSky .. so I'm not reviewing it per se - but mostly posted, to say... it augments the OB in an incredible way.

Completely agree with you. The Big Sky is giving a.o. the Epic reverb OB-6 is missing, as stated in the SOS review.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
jdoo,  I've had the Big Sky for a few years now.  Its strongpoint is certainly the really big dreamy reverbs.  I use it mainly in cloud, magneto or shimmer modes when I want that effect.  Mainly use it on the P12 and PEK since they have no reverb of thier own.    You can make it sound like your playing two synths at once in shimmer mode- but there's a slight lag if you're  playing quickly and it can get muddy.   I also have it inserted to the mixer so I can easily use it on variety of instruments

For ordinary roomy or plate reverb I actually thought the OB6's onboard verb is standard and fine. Though I think more folks are expecting onboard reverbs to have the range of something like Big Sky.  I guess I was happy just to see some effects getting into the instruments in the first place. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 05:31:54 PM »
Agree with the need for an external reverb...for studio stuff I have been using the <Exponential Audio> collection plugins that I bought in the big sale when iZotope bought the company, but that still left the offsite/live stuff. BigSky was definitely on my 'short list', but I ended up with the SourceAudio Nemesis, which gives me more options, but nice techie/dreamy reverb on the short time end of a number of the options.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

jo

• OB-6 Player
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing, that is a thing of beauty

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »
Its strongpoint is certainly the really big dreamy reverbs.  I use it mainly in cloud, magneto or shimmer modes when I want that effect.  Mainly use it on the P12 and PEK since they have no reverb of thier own.

It's actually possible to build a reverb on the P'12, I tried, but my attempts didn't sounded as good as my external effects (M-One XL rack unit, Big Sky pedal), I was more successfull at making chorus effects.

The M-One has very cool reverb effects (particulary the spring), but the Big Sky... Mamma mia...

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:20 AM »
I picked up a BigSky and oddly enough, have fallen in love with my old Yamaha MOX8 all over again. In fact, I find I'm spending more time with it now instead of my newer/expensive OB-6. It's like I suddenly have a new piano keyboard, the tones are so rich and smooth. Any and everything I play sounds so much better with the BigSky. For me it's well worth the price.

I'm not a seasoned keyboard player as I've played guitar most of my life, and had only dabbled in keyboards now and again, but I'm starting to get serious about it while my guitars are gathering dust.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:59:05 AM by St8kout »

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 11:48:09 AM »
Let's face it the reverbs on the OB6 aren't exactly stellar. I was using an EHX Cathedral for a few years, but recently replaced it with a BigSky. The Cathedral was good, the BigSky is even better. More configurable, more programmable presets, better reverb algorithms. The only effect that I still use from the OB6 is the excellent phaser.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »
Let's face it the reverbs on the OB6 aren't exactly stellar. I was using an EHX Cathedral for a few years, but recently replaced it with a BigSky. The Cathedral was good, the BigSky is even better. More configurable, more programmable presets, better reverb algorithms. The only effect that I still use from the OB6 is the excellent phaser.

Was thinking of picking up a couple of BlueSky units, is there anything feature-wise I would miss compared to the BigSky?  Also curious how much better they are than a good plug-in reverb (currently using Exponential Audio R4, Nimbus, PhoenixVerb etc)?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
What attracted me to the BigSky, versus the BlueSky, is the ability to have hundreds of user-programmable presets and many reverb types other than Plate, Room, Spring and Shimmer.
As for comparing it to plug-ins, I wouldn't know since I've never used any of them.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
I've used a bunch of vst reverbs. Many of them, for example AD Eos II or Valhalla plugins, sound very well but I don't like editing them with a mouse. I ended up with Source Audio Ventris. I find BigSky sounding less spectacular than Ventris and being harder to edit. And the selection of reverb engines is unbeaten even by software.

LPF83

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
I've used a bunch of vst reverbs. Many of them, for example AD Eos II or Valhalla plugins, sound very well but I don't like editing them with a mouse. I ended up with Source Audio Ventris. I find BigSky sounding less spectacular than Ventris and being harder to edit. And the selection of reverb engines is unbeaten even by software.

I get some things out of software reverb that I fear may be hard to emulate with a pedal, such as the Exponential Audio R4 plug-in, which has some things like gated snare options, where I find myself spending a lot of time with about 5-6 different dials to get that gated reverb snare sound just right (and I can throw it on to any synth track, as many as needed... even one per drum in a kit)...I think that's the allure of software.  Real-time control of it when jamming is where the mouse really falls short.

Recently got a Korg Minilogue XDm module -- doesn't cost much more than a BigSky... in addition to the VCOs + multi engine, can have  modulation (chorus/ensemble/phaser etc), plus delay plus reverb -- all simultaneously.  Wish they had added inputs so I could run other synth signals through it, the effects sound great.  Hopefully the 2 effects limit will be a thing of the past on future Sequential offerings... if a $550 synth can do it, the Prophet and OBSixKenobie can.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
What attracted me to the BigSky, versus the BlueSky, is the ability to have hundreds of user-programmable presets and many reverb types other than Plate, Room, Spring and Shimmer.
As for comparing it to plug-ins, I wouldn't know since I've never used any of them.
I borrowed a number of delay/verb units from friends when searching for something better than the OB-6 built-ins, including a BigSky. I ended up with the SourceAudio NEMESIS...key factors were:
- more usable out-of-the-box settings.
- huge community of presets
- the best interoperability with DAWs of any of the test units
- decent price

I do own the complete Exponential set of reverbs (special deal when iZotope acquired them) as well, so didn't really need the BigSky capability (which comes at a price)
...the BigSky and BlueSky were nice, but didn't play with DAWs as seamlessly (clocking modes, sync, program changes from the DAW, etc...)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:08:31 PM by shmuelyosef »
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

MPM

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »
I used the Bigsky for years, but getting the Eventide H9 core (and trying each reverb, buying what I liked) made me get rid of it.
Last year I got the Source Audio Ventris (dual reverb/DSP) on trial and was more impressed than I was with the H9.
Though if I could only have one it’d be the H9 since it does everything, but unfortunately only one fx at a time.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
I recently sold my Big Sky......Meris Mercury7 the best sounding reverb I have ever heard. Incredible algorithms.

I don’t usually like shimmer, but somehow Meris nailed that too.

I do miss the screen, but the tone is a major upgrade from Strymons big boxes in my book
OB6, Tempest, Subsequent 37 Nord Stage 2 EX. Mainly guitar....