MIDI Clock at Half Speed

MIDI Clock at Half Speed
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »
Is it just me..?

If I set the  MIDI clock mode to Off and set the tempo locally (120 BPM default) and create a patch with the sequencer, clock-synced LFOs etc., all works fine.

However, I discovered that when I set the Rev2's MIDI clock mode to one of the Slave modes and have my DAW (Sonar X3) transmit the MIDI clock (also set to 120 BPM), the Rev2 runs everything at half speed.

The same experiment with my Roland JV-2080 produces identical timing using either its internal clock or the one from Sonar, so Sonar and the JV-2080 agree.   

I bypassed the PC completely, connecting the MIDI output from a Roland TR-09 directly to the Rev2 (all DIN, no USB connections used).  This did the same as with Sonar.  For the same BPM, the sequencer on divide by 16 with the Rev2's internal clock needs to be set to divide by 32 to run at the same rate. 

Is this by design, a bug or have I missed a setting somewhere?
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: MIDI Clock at Half Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:39:01 AM »
Is it just me..?

If I set the  MIDI clock mode to Off and set the tempo locally (120 BPM default) and create a patch with the sequencer, clock-synced LFOs etc., all works fine.

However, I discovered that when I set the Rev2's MIDI clock mode to one of the Slave modes and have my DAW (Sonar X3) transmit the MIDI clock (also set to 120 BPM), the Rev2 runs everything at half speed.

The same experiment with my Roland JV-2080 produces identical timing using either its internal clock or the one from Sonar, so Sonar and the JV-2080 agree.   

I bypassed the PC completely, connecting the MIDI output from a Roland TR-09 directly to the Rev2 (all DIN, no USB connections used).  This did the same as with Sonar.  For the same BPM, the sequencer on divide by 16 with the Rev2's internal clock needs to be set to divide by 32 to run at the same rate. 

Is this by design, a bug or have I missed a setting somewhere?
Check you don't accidentally sent a Midi clock signal on both channels, if you use multimode. I had a similar issue with Bitwig version 2, happily you can disable clock on the new Bitwig hardware device. That did the trick for me.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:31:58 AM »
I had a look through the globals and all of the MIDI is okay, Gerry.  Multi is off, too.  I might try that anyway, just to see of it doubles the speed and makes it run correctly  :)

What I haven't tried is using the Rev2 as the master clock so see if it transmits correctly.

It's made some clock-synced patches sound really odd!
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:08:07 AM »
I had a look through the globals and all of the MIDI is okay, Gerry.  Multi is off, too.  I might try that anyway, just to see of it doubles the speed and makes it run correctly  :)

What I haven't tried is using the Rev2 as the master clock so see if it transmits correctly.

It's made some clock-synced patches sound really odd!

I tried yesterday evening with a single Bitwig 2 hardware device and the clock set to slave on the Rev2. Bitwig was set to 110 BPMs and the Rev2 displayed 110 (and sometimes 111) in the display. Pretty accurate!
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:20:19 AM »
It's displaying the tempo correctly on mine too (just to confuse me), but anything clock-synced runs at half speed.

I'll try my P12 module and see if it does the same.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Make sure you're on the latest OS version 1.0.7.2:

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-prophet-rev2-os/

There was a bug regarding clock sync that we fixed during the course of the beta versions since initial release so that could be the culprit if you're on an earlier OS.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
Make sure you're on the latest OS version 1.0.7.2:

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-prophet-rev2-os/

There was a bug regarding clock sync that we fixed during the course of the beta versions since initial release so that could be the culprit if you're on an earlier OS.

I'm running the latest OS, and it's a 16 voice (s/n 250).

I've done a test as follows with the attached patch (the sysex file is attached).  It uses the gated sequencer to alter the cutoff on the left-hand side of the split.

If I set the Rev2's MIDI Clock Mode to Off and set the tempo on the Rev2 to 120, the result is the first 16 seconds of the attached mp3 file.

I then set the MIDI Clock Mode to Slave and connect MIDI Out of my Roland TR-09 to MIDI In of the Rev2.  The BPM display on the Rev2 follows the BPM I set on the TR-09.

With the TR-09 set to 120 BPM (which the Rev2 displays), the result is what's in the mp3 file from 18 seconds onwards.  It's the same with my DAW generating the clock, but I wanted to test it without the PC in the loop.

I've just done the same test with a Yamaha Reface DX, and the playback speed of the onboard looper is the same with either its own internal clock or the TR-09 at the same BPM.

Any ideas?

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
Same problem here:
Arp, proper speed
Sequencer (Gated), half speed in slave clock mode