Sustain pedal issues

Sustain pedal issues
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
This isn't a glitch in the synth as much as the only undesirable quality I've come across. I REALLY wish you could assign the sus pedal to a specific layer or something similar. Very frequently I'll have a split setting with a pad left and lead right, I'll have the pad droning and wish to switch to edit later B, but then the pad will be left endlessly droning until I scroll back and undo it. Similarly I wish I could be playing the pad with a sus pedal WHILE tweaking my lead synth (layer B), so as to still be able to modulate my lead but while playing through chord progressions (sus pedal so I have a free hand for tweakabikity). Even on most of my lower end poly synths you can choose which layer the sustain pedal is attatched to..im nuts and would even love two seperate sustain pedals but I know that's a bit much so I'd be happy with assignable sus pedal in a menu...anyone else?

Propheteer

Re: Sustain pedal issues
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »
I've noticed some bugs with using a sustain pedal, on some patches it's worse than others... but basically you run out of notes (it 'holds' them rather than sustains them then take the earliest note to reuse for the next note - or ignores the envelope shape). All rather buggy as far as I can tell, never had a synth work like this with a sustain pedal, makes it (sustain pedal function) essentially useless! as you can't reliably play the keyboard if you don't know notes are going to not play, would rather have the usual 'note stealing' when the 9th note (on an 8 voice) is played.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:01:04 AM by Propheteer »

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
I understand the desire to assign sustain to layers too. It' on our feature request list, though I don't know if or when it will be implemented.

Propheteer-

I just tested the sustain function here in the office and it is working properly. It sustains each note that is played as long as the pedal is depressed. When maximum polyphony has been reached the oldest notes are then stolen by the newest notes. Because the notes have been sustained, they never enter the release phase and therefore the stolen notes are retriggered from the sustain phase. I suppose that could be considered "changing the envelope shape", but only in the sense that the player has altered the envelope by not allowing it to reach the release.

If this is not what you're experiencing, please contact DSI technical support with specific steps to reproduce your bug: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

This is the only way to ensure that your bug becomes visible, verified, and gets added to our internal bug list.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
For me it's a rather large issue mostly because I can't hit a chord on my pad with my left side of a split, sustain pedal the chord and then use a lead on the right side of the split and be able to tweak it. Seems rather like a large issue that id imagine anybody who wants harmonic movement/chord changes in their music must be facing? 

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Did you make a correlation between the key mode setting and the resultant sustain pedal behavior? Of particular importance is "retrigger". But, I wonder if the other choices (high, low, or last) also play a role.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
Exactly like dsetto said. Go to global - sustain arp and switch to sustain. In miscaleneous parameter you have to switch to last retrigger. Then the pedal should work like you'd expect.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
I've stumbled across this problem today. When using the sustain pedal, notes would not retrigger once I exceeded the polyphony. So I looked at the manual, and here's the issue: in the relevant manual page (p. 53, "Key Modes and Unison Mode"), it
states at the bottom "Key Assign settings are only relevant to Unison mode. They do not affect polyphonic playback".

That's very misleading, because they do affect polyphonic voice-stealing. The solution for fixing the retrigger issue above is of course as explained here, to set the voice mode to one of the retrigger modes. I had to come here to check this, as I could not figure out what to do to fix it (and thought it was a major bug).