DAW Transport Triggering Sequencer over USB

DAW Transport Triggering Sequencer over USB
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Hi There,

When I hit play in my DAW (Ableton Live) the sequencer on my Rev2 automatically starts.  I have the Rev2 clock set to be a "slave" to Live.  I can't seem to figure out how to disable this in the global parameters. 

In my Live MIDI Preferences I have the SYNC button turned on, in the midi output to the Rev2.  This is required for clock send. That is the only button I have turned on in Live's midi preferences regarding the Rev2.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Best,

Mark

Re: DAW Transport Triggering Sequencer over USB
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
Here are the MIDI Clock settings from page 14 of the manual:

4. MIDI Clock Mode: Sets the synthesizer’s ability to send and receive
MIDI clock messages:
• Off: MIDI Clock is neither sent nor received
• Master: MIDI Clock is sent, but not received.
• Slave: MIDI Clock is received, but not sent.
• Slave Thru: MIDI Clock is received and passed to MIDI Out
• Slave No S/S (no start and stop): Receives MIDI Clock but does not
respond to MIDI Start or Stop command.

Most DAWs send a MIDI Start command to connected MIDI devices when playback is initiated. The Prophet Rev2's Poly Sequencer responds to MIDI Start commands when synced to external clock, except in the "Slave No S/S" setting listed above. So, you either need to configure your DAW not to send MIDI Start/Stop commands to your Prophet Rev2, or set your Prophet Rev2 to "Slave No S/S" for the MIDI Clock global.
SEQUENTIAL

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »

MIDI clock messages:
• Slave No S/S (no start and stop): Receives MIDI Clock but does not
respond to MIDI Start or Stop command.

Most DAWs send a MIDI Start command to connected MIDI devices when playback is initiated. The Prophet Rev2's Poly Sequencer responds to MIDI Start commands when synced to external clock, except in the "Slave No S/S" setting listed above. So, you either need to configure your DAW not to send MIDI Start/Stop commands to your Prophet Rev2, or set your Prophet Rev2 to "Slave No S/S" for the MIDI Clock global.
I have also noticed that a MIDI start command spins the polyphonic sequencer into action. I believe that is how it should be.

When this happens to me accidentially (using Bitwig version 2) I just switch the patch to the gated step sequencer. As long as all tracks of the gated sequencer are set to destination off the poly sequencer won't play.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »
Ahhh! That did it! Thank you soooo much!

I swear I had tried the "Slave no S/S" but I just tried again and BOOM!

MIDI clock messages:
• Slave

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
Hey there :)

I just bought me a new synth (desktop version) and I am really happy with this one. But I do have a question - after reading the manual, I assume that there is no way to start/stop the sequencer with a midi CC command?

There is only Arp On/Off on CC 33... :(   The NRPN command as well as Midi Start/Stop is not an option as all my other hardware is too dumb for this (Nord Stage 2 + Minitaur). It would be nice to have it start and stop via Midi CC as I would be also able to trigger it in time with an Ableton project at a certain point. I know there are workarounds like turning the volume down but the seems to be a little bit arkward...

Is there another workaround? any tips? Or maybe DSI will implemt this in the next patch?   :P   

Greetings from germany  :)