Any DSI Prophet Wizards want to help me achieve some weird modulations?

I'm making a one patch drum kit similar to what this guy did here

The issue I'm having is that the keynote modulation, which will serve as the source for many parameters for this kind of patch, defaults to a 6-7 octave range for the full effect to come into play. Take noise, for example, there is a huge range of keys from 0 noise to full noise. The goal is the compress that range so all of the change happens within 2-3 octaves instead. Stacking multiples of the same modulation works, but I run out of slots quickly.

Next, I tried a custom tuning that spans 6 octaves within 24 keys and loaded it via the sysex. Unfortunately it looks like the tuning isn't really affecting the note number as used by the modulations at all. Too bad, this would have been a great solution.

I recently figured something else out. Instead of wasting 4 mod slots on just noise AMT I instead set it up like this

I could set:
MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > Noise AMT
MOD 2 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 3 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 4 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT

And achieve the desired effect. This lets me go from 0 noise on key one and full noise on key 36. 3 Octaves is good enough.

Now I'm thinking that I could set MOD 1 to something else, other than noise, that I could then link noise and other things to. I'd only have 4 mod slots left still, but they would all be quadrupled and have the same exaggerated range! I thought ENV3 would be a good candidate so I tried something like

MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > ENV 3 AMT

What is strange is that I could ENV3 Destination knob and set it to noise and the effect works as desired but if I set MOD 5 to ENV 3 source and noise as Destination at full amount, it doesn't work.

I feel like I am getting closer to making this work. Looking for ideas. Maybe there is a whole new way to go about achieving this.

Got it somewhat fleshed out in this example here https://clyp.it/rktnyay2 which is just a single patch.
I'd still like to compress that range to make more use of interesting changes between what is essentially the kick into the snare into the high hat as you go up the keys.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Any DSI Prophet Wizards want to help me achieve some weird modulations?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:49:57 PM »
I'm making a one patch drum kit similar to what this guy did here

The issue I'm having is that the keynote modulation, which will serve as the source for many parameters for this kind of patch, defaults to a 6-7 octave range for the full effect to come into play. Take noise, for example, there is a huge range of keys from 0 noise to full noise. The goal is the compress that range so all of the change happens within 2-3 octaves instead. Stacking multiples of the same modulation works, but I run out of slots quickly.

Next, I tried a custom tuning that spans 6 octaves within 24 keys and loaded it via the sysex. Unfortunately it looks like the tuning isn't really affecting the note number as used by the modulations at all. Too bad, this would have been a great solution.

I recently figured something else out. Instead of wasting 4 mod slots on just noise AMT I instead set it up like this

I could set:
MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > Noise AMT

And achieve the desired effect. This lets me go from 0 noise on key one and full noise on key 36. 3 Octaves is good enough.

Now I'm thinking that I could set MOD 1 to something else, other than noise, that I could then link noise and other things to. I'd only have 4 mod slots left still, but they would all be quadrupled and have the same exaggerated range! I thought ENV3 would be a good candidate so I tried something like

MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > ENV 3 AMT

What is strange is that I could ENV3 Destination knob and set it to noise and the effect works as desired but if I set MOD 5 to ENV 3 source and noise as Destination at full amount, it doesn't work.

I feel like I am getting closer to making this work. Looking for ideas. Maybe there is a whole new way to go about achieving this.

Got it somewhat fleshed out in this example here https://clyp.it/rktnyay2 which is just a single patch.
I'd still like to compress that range to make more use of interesting changes between what is essentially the kick into the snare into the high hat as you go up the keys.
That is absolutely brilliant! And you keep saying you do not know much about synth programming, very impressive with just a single patch ;-).

Have you thought about doing something with the step sequencer values as modulation source? This will provide a timing element, but if you put the end step (reset) at two, you potentially gain 4 additional modulation sources whenever you press a key or sent a MIDI note.

I would like to duplicate what you are doing, I watched the video but haven't made the time yet to try this out on the Rev2. Perhaps this weekend. If you don't mind it would be great to fill in a Rev2 patch sheet with the settings and modulation sources, I have created one for the Rev2: https://gezz.eu/tutorials/DSI_Prophet_Rev2_Parameters_Template.pdf

You can print it off, write in the values, or edit it inline and/or perhaps post it somewhere.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
And you keep saying you do not know much about synth programming, very impressive with just a single patch ;-).

Heh thanks bud. New synther, but long time problem solver. The possibilities with the modulations are what really drew me to the REV2.

The gated seq might be my answer!

Great patch sheet! I'd be happy to fill it out. The demo I linked had one of the sounds reversed in post but other than that it all of the sounds are from the single timbre patch.

I'd love the idea of a place to share and talk about patches. Whether its the full patch sheet or even just a quick blurb about some of the important building blocks of the patch. It would be really cool to see what other guys are doing and hear a bit about how it came together. Sometimes even small pieces of an idea can be re purposed and reused in cool new ways. I started keytracking vibrato rate as in this example https://clyp.it/xqymyexu and its becoming one of my favorite ways to liven up a sound. Slower vib as you go higher up. Nothing ever really syncs up so it can get sea sick real quick if you want it to, which could be good.

E: Here is the patch sheet for the drum patch.
http://i.imgur.com/MDxtudK.png
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:59:10 AM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
Nice clip, reminds me of something someone would do with Reaktor not with a Rev2!

Very impressive.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
Nice clip, reminds me of something someone would do with Reaktor not with a Rev2!

Very impressive.

Thanks man. Funny thing is this is far from my style too. Just got to tweaking and ended up here.

I edited my previous comment with the patch details if anyone wants to try it. Take off the distortion and play with the Filter Env Amount + decay and you could get some cleaner sounding synth drums.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »
And you keep saying you do not know much about synth programming, very impressive with just a single patch ;-).

Heh thanks bud. New synther, but long time problem solver. The possibilities with the modulations are what really drew me to the REV2.

The gated seq might be my answer!

Great patch sheet! I'd be happy to fill it out. The demo I linked had one of the sounds reversed in post but other than that it all of the sounds are from the single timbre patch.

I'd love the idea of a place to share and talk about patches. Whether its the full patch sheet or even just a quick blurb about some of the important building blocks of the patch. It would be really cool to see what other guys are doing and hear a bit about how it came together. Sometimes even small pieces of an idea can be re purposed and reused in cool new ways. I started keytracking vibrato rate as in this example https://clyp.it/xqymyexu and its becoming one of my favorite ways to liven up a sound. Slower vib as you go higher up. Nothing ever really syncs up so it can get sea sick real quick if you want it to, which could be good.

E: Here is the patch sheet for the drum patch.
http://i.imgur.com/MDxtudK.png
Nicely said, 30+ years of troubleshooting is a handy skill to have (talking about myself of course ;-). Said that, thanks for the filled in patch sheet and you immediately improved on it! I will change things around so that all config values of layer A are on one side (page) of the sheet and layer B on the other. This improves on the idea of having an overview, silly I didn't think of it myself  :). I will try to get the values for the step sequencer on the same page in there as well.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.