Using CV/Gate from an external sequencer

Using CV/Gate from an external sequencer
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
Hey guys, I have an analog keys which has an amazing step sequencer with CV/Gate output and I was wondering if it's possible to use it to trigger notes, chords and other things on the REV2. I know the REV2 has a 5V CV that seems to be for modulation but can I use it to trigger notes? Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:43:54 PM by trashdinner »

Re: Using CV/Gate from an external sequencer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:29 AM »
I use an akai MPC X to trigger the REV2 so I'd say yeah bro...

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
I use an akai MPC X to trigger the REV2 so I'd say yeah bro...
Thanks for the reply, would you be kind enough to tell me the specifics? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to CV Gate and a DSI rep told me not to exeed 5V or I could fry the synth so I don't want to mess around :P

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
I wish all of DSI's gear had CV integration.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
So I guess I'm in the dark :/ the manual doesn't really help either.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
As long as your sequencer outputs 5 volts no more you wil be ok. Look at your owners manual on your sequencer/keys thingy  on how to construct a gate/CV sequence on that.

There is enough data in the dsi manual to show you what the trig input will do on the synth.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:09:19 AM »
As I understand it, you might be able to use a gate signal to trigger the Rev 2's own sequencer but I don't think it's possible to the Analog Keys CV/Gate output to sequence the Rev 2 like you would a traditional analog monophonic synth with dedicated CV/Gate inputs.

Something like an MPC X is only able to sequence the Rev 2 over MIDI, which is completely different to the Analog Keys. In general, polyphonic synths don't really work with CV/Gate, as they would require individual CV and Gate inputs for every voice. Sequencing an 8-voice poly would effectively need to be sequenced as 8 separate monophonic voices!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 06:35:47 AM »
The MPC X has Cv gate outputs. 8 to be exact. It can do what the beatstep pro can do. It even sends trig/gate voltages to my SE-02.

I actually have the instrument and i actually have a dsi rev2. Perhaps I missing your point here fuseball, which is possible because im not the sharpest tool in the shed.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »
The MPC X has Cv gate outputs. 8 to be exact. It can do what the beatstep pro can do. It even sends trig/gate voltages to my SE-02.

I actually have the instrument and i actually have a dsi rev2. Perhaps I missing your point here fuseball, which is possible because im not the sharpest tool in the shed.
My mistake. I was thinking of the MPC Live. Haven't seen an MPC X in the flesh yet.

How well does it work with CV controlling pitch and the sequencer input set to gate? It's a pretty unusual feature on a polyphonic synth.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:46 AM »
Its a solid 5 volts out the MPC X and for the limited things i have used to sequence.  its been fine as far as I can tell. It trigs  the SE-02 fine as well. On the REV2, ive used very limited sequencing as im getting used to this whole world of CV gate and again the limited times ive used it its perfoiemed exactly with what I expect. I would like more of my gear to have CV inputs as there is a but more fine control than you get over MIDI (although I LOVEEEEE MIDI!!! :) )

chysn

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
The Pedal/CV input is not a volt-per-octave input, it limits its input to 3.3V, and it's heavily filtered (to smooth expression pedal use); so it won't track with an analog keyboard's CV out. But you can assign it to pitch modulation for pitch bending effects. Note that all voices will be modulated in the same way.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
The Pedal/CV input is not a volt-per-octave input, it limits its input to 3.3V, and it's heavily filtered (to smooth expression pedal use); so it won't track with an analog keyboard's CV out. But you can assign it to pitch modulation for pitch bending effects. Note that all voices will be modulated in the same way.
Thanks for this concise explanation! That's exactly what I wanted to know and what the manual fails to explain.