Prophet 08 Random LFO Question

Prophet 08 Random LFO Question
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
Hi all, my apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer.  When using the random waveform in polyphonic mode, each key will get its own LFO, so when using random for the LFO each note will be doing its own different randomness.  Is there any way to get it to act like there's only 1 LFO, i.e. the random jumps in the LFO are the same for each note?

I guess I could use the sequencer to an affect like that but it's not the same thing.

panic

Re: Prophet 08 Random LFO Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »
Hello,

unfortunately, it is not possible to make an LFO 'global'. Indeed, each voice will have different random jumps. You can of course hook up an external LFO (midi or CV) to achieve what you want.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
Great, thanks for the reply.  It would have been a musically useful feature to have it operate that way.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
Great, thanks for the reply.  It would have been a musically useful feature to have it operate that way.

Yes, that's true.  I've often wanted the same feature, too.  The closest you can come to the effect is by trying to strike the notes of a chord at the exact same instant...which is impossible.  But sometimes you can get the effect you want for a few seconds.  It's called primitive synthesis!

panic

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:04 AM »

Yes, that's true.  I've often wanted the same feature, too.  The closest you can come to the effect is by trying to strike the notes of a chord at the exact same instant...which is impossible.  But sometimes you can get the effect you want for a few seconds.  It's called primitive synthesis!

Unfortunately though, even if you manage to press all notes at the same time, you will still have different random values for each voice. For just synchronising LFOs between voices, I do the following:
- turn keysync on
- use a ruler to press 8 keys simultaneously
- then turn keysync off.
- now you have synchronised free running LFOs (but no keysync...)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
That's what I do, only with my hand, rather than with a ruler.  This is a rather funny discussion.

Of course, the real solution to the problem would be to apply a single external LFO to the instrument.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:03:05 AM »
Moinmoin,

I also sometimes switch Key Sync off after hitting the key(s), which may or may not lead to hasty knob-pressing action if more LFOs are concerned...
Moreover there is one big disadvantage when using square-LFO-signals:
The keypress does not sync with the rising edge of the LFO. Syncing seems to be at 25% (in the mid of the low phase, making adjusting to a drummer in live situations next to impossible  >:(

For me this meanwhile is the most urgent thing I would like to be updated in P'08, even before increasing of ADSR time constants...
As a workaround however I started using the sequencer, which can be set to sync to the keypress. The sequencer is also able to do some "pseudo-randomness", so maybe it is a solution for Your (mallery7) needs.

Martin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:05:17 AM by MartinM »