Received my New Rev2 today - In Depth First Impressions.

Re: Received my New Rev2 today - In Depth First Impressions.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
Seriously though, It's excellent.

I already own a Prophet 12 which I absolutely love, but I'd always wanted to add an analogue DSI to my setup and when they announced the Rev2 it seemed like the perfect choice.

I've only had a few hours on it, but these are my first impressions...

The Pros...

1: It sounds great, really beefy and full as you'd expect from DSI!
2: It's got a very nice synth action keyboard. It's similar to the P12 action, but a little heavier and needs a more deliberate press to activate aftertouch than my P12 does which is a good thing - very nice to play.
3: Build Quality: This was a big one for me as I'd read quite a few articles on the web where people had complained about the knobs and encoders being flimsy on the Rev2 - so much so that I'd reconciled myself to it and had planned only to use the Rev2 in my studio.
It really is a very nicely put together, quality synth and I'm pleased to say it feels just as robust as my beloved P12.
I'd be happy to use it live.
4:The Effects: These really do transform the Rev2 and they are well implemented and very easy to apply in a musical way. Really elevates the synth and I'd love to have these effects on my P12 too. A great addition.
5: 16 Voices: Brilliant and means you can do big thick pads and not worry about note stealing
Overall, it's just a VERY good synth!  :)

The Cons...
1: The display: Now maybe I'm just spoilt by the excellent display on the P12, but it's too small on the Rev2 IMO and can be a bit frustrating to use because it's trying to display a lot of information in a small space, like the bank number and program number, which leads me to point 2...
2: No Bank select or Program Buttons: This means the display has to show this info instead which uses up valuable space on an already small screen. There enough space between the 'Sequencer' section and the 'effects' section to have put the same layout of display and buttons as is found on the Prophet 12, it's a real shame they chose not to do so.
3: No numeric keypad: This means all patch selections have to be made via an encoder which isn't the most natural way, especially if it's patch 63 or something.
4: No Inc, Dec buttons: I can accept the omitting of a numerical keypad to keep down costs, but they should have at least offered the Inc, Dec buttons to allow you to quickly flick through patches.
5: The Program Encoder placement: Now I know this may sound like i'm being pedantic, but in the few hours I've owned the Rev2 I have twice created a patch from a basic program only to have it instantly erased before being stored when my finger accidentally catches the 'program' encoder which is right next to the write button - grrrrrr!!!!
That was VERY annoying. >:(
6: Glide button & Rate/Time encoder: Again being pedantic, but I would have much preferred these to be lower and placed where the Unison & Hold buttons are, as you are much more likely to have to activate Glide on the fly than you are Unison and hold.

So there you go, they are my initial thoughts.:)

Despite the cons I mention if you are reading this and thinking of buying one please do. Despite these little downsides I really do think it's a brilliant sounding synth and I'm delighted with my purchase and I'm sure you will be too.

I may add some further observations after I've spent more time on it. 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:55:32 PM by jazzygb1 »

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
The Cons...
5: The Program Encoder placement: Now I know this may sound like i'm being pedantic, but in the few hours I've owned the Rev2 I have twice created a patch from a basic program only to have it instantly erased before being stored when my finger accidentally catches the 'program' encoder which is right next to the write button - grrrrrr!!!!
That was VERY annoying. >:(
I have the same problem (and with my P12 module, too), so I found a DIY solution with Lego :-)  When editing, this goes over the Program and Bank knobs.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
I have the same problem (and with my P12 module, too), so I found a DIY solution with Lego :-)  When editing, this goes over the Program and Bank knobs.

Wehey - I like that a very creative solution! :)

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »
Nice review.