Bought used P12 and it has issues

Bought used P12 and it has issues
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
I am posting to see if others might have the same issues ,  I hope I don't have a lemmon, or a P12 that wasn't cared for.

1- when i turn the knob to change programs, every once in a while the knob turns but the program won't change right away, it like it skips a turn or two, then changes.

2- one of the stereo out jacks is a little stripped, the nut  will spin, and barely hold the jack tight.

3- this key board feels loose, a lot of play left and right with black and white keys, and it feels sticky when i press down like there is some initial resistance .....weird.

My benchmark is the prophet 6 i have, no issues like this what so ever.

And i had the mopho 4 a few weeks, very solid , bettter keys, nothing like this.

Is this just the way it is?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:20:41 PM by Indiescore »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Bought used P12 and it has build quality issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
You shouldn't have to live with those problems.  Rather than chat about it here, contact DSI Support and see if you can get some help.  They'll treat you well.

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/contact-support/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:41:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Bought used P12 and it has build quality issues
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »
You shouldn't have to live with those problems.  Rather than chat about it here, contact DSI Support and see if you can get some help.  They'll treat you well.

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/contact-support/

I changed the topic title as I don't know if it's a build quality issue or something else.... I know the support is good but this is out of warranty and I am not the original owner or registered user so if your saying that doesn't matter and Dave will make it good then that's fantastic however  Let's not be dismissive of my post before the community has a chance to respond, before I contact DSI I would like a context from other users of what their experience is with the keybed, what is normal and what is not. Then I might return this and opt for a module instead of paying to ship this for repair, or spend time going down the path of repair.  Surely as the moderator you understand the importance of community feedback.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:23:59 PM by Indiescore »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Bought used P12 and it has issues
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
I'm only trying to get you quick help, if that's what you want - not stop the conversation.

From my own limited experience with the Prophet 12, I can say that these problems do occasionally show up.  The unit I had did have a few erratic encoders, and the keyboard had a stiffness to it each day when at first played.  It would quickly loosen up, though. 

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:49:20 PM »
And i had the mopho 4 a few weeks, very solid , bettter keys, nothing like this.

The keybed is sourced from the same manufacturer - so the feel should be reasonably close between the two units.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »
I found that strange too with my 'factory fresh' unit, the first time each day that you press any key there is a 'stickyness' there.

It's almost like you are breaking contact between 2 surfaces covered in oil/grease.

I tend to give all the keys a quick press before playing each day.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm only trying to get you quick help, if that's what you want - not stop the conversation.

From my own limited experience with the Prophet 12, I can say that these problems do occasionally show up.  The unit I had did have a few erratic encoders, and the keyboard had a stiffness to it each day when at first played.  It would quickly loosen up, though.

thank you this is the feedback I was looking for .......

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:08 AM »
I found that strange too with my 'factory fresh' unit, the first time each day that you press any key there is a 'stickyness' there.

It's almost like you are breaking contact between 2 surfaces covered in oil/grease.

I tend to give all the keys a quick press before playing each day.

thanks a lot !   that's a good description, this confirms that there is nothing unusual about my keybed then,  I do notice now it's stiff then it gets better.....I have never encountered this kind of behavior before so I was worried the previous owner might have damaged it.......

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Same stickiness when you first play it exists on Pro 2 keybed.  I simply slide my finger across all the keys before starting and that takes care of it.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Same stickiness when you first play it exists on Pro 2 keybed.  I simply slide my finger across all the keys before starting and that takes care of it.

I prefer the 'laying on of palms' method but both methods work ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
I think as Sacred Synthesis says, contact support. It doesn't matter if it is out of warranty as DSI offer a support service to fix things that is extremely reasonable, as in the cost of a few beers.

The sticky keys sounds normal, the rest doesn't.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
I think as Sacred Synthesis says, contact support. It doesn't matter if it is out of warranty as DSI offer a support service to fix things that is extremely reasonable, as in the cost of a few beers.

The sticky keys sounds normal, the rest doesn't.

Well as I said not looking for a knee jerk ship the synth to DSI but looking user feedback, thanks for your input on what is normal and not.

Re: Bought used P12 and it has issues - resolved
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 08:55:27 PM »
thanks for the feedback everyone.  I bought this used and discovered it was on on operating system 1.0.

So here is where we are.

System update to latest operating system solved the sticky program selector.

The keybed is what it is and that's ok now that I understand.

One of the stereo out jacks  is a little stripped , I can live with that. The shipping cost is not worth the fix.

This synth sounds like a million dollars, is amazing,  and is misunderstood by many out there, those who don't know how to how to dial it in or understand what it is, and what it is not, could not live without now in my studio as an addition to moog and other gear I have. 

Peace out !

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
Good news.

If you ever do have any serious problems do contact DSI though. I melted two PIC ICs on my P2 and P12 by plugging in a wrong power adapter to a USB hub and they fixed both for me at really reasonable price, $50 including postage back to the UK. That is amazing service considering it was me that caused the damage!

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Good news.

If you ever do have any serious problems do contact DSI though. I melted two PIC ICs on my P2 and P12 by plugging in a wrong power adapter to a USB hub and they fixed both for me at really reasonable price, $50 including postage back to the UK. That is amazing service considering it was me that caused the damage!

That is really phenomenal customer service. We are lucky to have Dave Smith.

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
Hi Indiescore-

Congratulations on your new/used P12 acquisition. If you are adept at soldering, we are happy to send you an audio jack free of charge. Contact our dedicated support channel with your physical address if you'd like one: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
Good news.

Outstanding! :)
You have to love DSI - class act!

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
Good news.

Outstanding! :)
You have to love DSI - class act!

Since we're talking cool DSI repair stories, here's mine  ;) 

Back in the mid 2000's I bought a Poly Evolver Keyboard.  After a couple days it went dead on me and wouldn't power up.  I called the DSI support number and talked to a really cool guy who diagnosed the problem and said he'd ship me out a new power board.  After hanging up, I remembered that I hadn't asked where I should ship the dead board to, so called back.  This guy answers the phone and I explain that I just called and talked to someone about a dead PEK.  He says, "ya that was me...this is Dave...Dave Smith"  :)

Anyway, between '82 and '84 I worked at the Apple prototype lab out on N 1st Street in San Jose (back in the days when Apple actually manufactured in the USA  :o  Our business neighbor in the next building over?  Sequential Circuits!  Talked with Dave about working in that business park where every winter the parking lot would flood.  In the excellent book, "The Prophet From Silicon Valley.  The Complete Story of Sequential Circuits", there's a great photo of Dave rafting his way across the flooded parking lot to get to the office!  So we talked about other stuff and I eventually asked him about shipping back the dead power board and he said, "that's ok...don't bother".  I got my new power board in a couple days and the PEK worked like a champ.  Though I sold it in 2012, I'm confident it's still running great out there somewhere. 

Definitely the coolest tech support call I ever made  8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:23:23 AM by WytchCrypt »
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/