Feature Requests

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2021, 06:11:28 AM »
I'm not 100% confident if this is possible given the electronics etcetera of the Rev2's hardware, but I think it would be nice if there was a way to use all 4 outputs like this:

output A is layer A only, continuously.
output B is layer B only, continuously.

This is literally how it works right now.

The way it is now, it switches layer A and B between output A and B respectively every 8 note triggers.

This is incorrect.

If someone could inform me on why this switch occurs every 8 notes, I would love to hear. I have a hunch it is something to do with the nature of the voices and how they technically work under the hood, but for now it's beyond me.

So, I think you're confusing layer SOUNDS with layer VOICES. If something is plugged into the B outputs, the second half of the *voices* (e.g. voices 9-16 on a 16 voice board, voices 4-8 on an 8-voice) ARE layer B, always, regardless of whether layer B is active (e.g. split/stack are on) or not. The layer B voices play layer A *sounds* when layer B is inactive in this case, giving you full polyphony but still playing out their respective outputs when their turn comes to sound (hence the every-8-voice output change you describe). But they are hardwired to output B (which is then combined with output A when output B has no cables). What you are describing as the "current" behaviour is not only incorrect, it's physically impossible.

If you turn on split or stack you'll see that layer A sounds never come out of layer B outputs and vice versa. You're just confused by the (correct and intended) behaviour of the synth architecture when layer B is not active by split or stack, which is hardwired and cannot be changed in software.

For another discussion of this exact issue, see https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3385.msg39195.html#msg39195
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:58:27 AM by studiodc »
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »
When trying to transpose a sequence you have to hold the 'rec' button then press a key. I need to be able to do this with without my hands. Can we have an option to use a sustain pedal/ and or expression pedal to do this?/ Add the option

Glide time as a mod destination as well please.

It'd also be cool to have a priority on "menu" modulations, i.e. If I'm hand modulating the vca level in the menu and also turning the cutoff for instance, immediately cutoff is given priority and I cant modulate vca level anymore. When doing both at the same time, especially for ambient work is really important to me. 
It might be cool to have a display modulation menu where if youre turning two knobs at once you see both values instead of defeating one modulation visually and also sonically as in the aforementioned case.
A horizontal list of all modulations instead of just seeing one giant "this is what you're doing rn" would be better.

« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2021, 04:35:01 AM »
A simple request: There is the shortcut misc-unison, which brings you to the unison setting of the misc parameter list (number of voices in unison). However, you are then not IN the misc parameter list, but can only access that parameter; you cannot scroll to the related parameters that are "below". Therefore, you have to dig into misc and start scrolling from parameter 1. It would be very useful if the shortcut misc-unison would simply throw you into the misc-parameter list at the unison parameter.

« Reply #443 on: February 10, 2021, 02:29:19 AM »
I keep on wining about the interface of the rev2. I only use it because of the beautiful sound and endless possibilities; for usability, I would have left it for something designed by people who show they actually care about user experience. In concreto:

Given that one of the unique strengths of the rev2 is the dual layer possibility, why does it not have a hardware layer balance knob? Playing live, it's just terrible to go into the misc menu (ok, it's the first parameter, pfff) to adjust the relative volume of the layers. This is not something one needs only sometimes; when playing live, you need to be able to adjust this balance all the time!

I suspect that with a firmwareupdate, it's difficult to add a physical button. Maybe, some very direct shortcut can be made, like hold-wheel?

« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2021, 02:11:05 AM »
Concerning the above: One obvious partial solution would be to add the two layer levels as destinations to the mod matrix.

« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »
Prophet Rev 2 ‘Gig Mode’ idea

After some thought I have come up with ‘Gig Mode’ to address what for me is the main issue with using the Rev 2 live - program changes.

- Gig Mode is activated/deactivated through the Global Menu.
 - It changes the function of the Write and Compare buttons to program +/- 
 - That’s it!

Changing programs whilst playing live is the only thing that concerns me with the Rev 2 live - doing so with encoders is a little like Russian roulette when you only have a couple of beats to do it! There’s a thread about it here so I’m not the only one.

Currently I use an iPhone app for Rev 2 program changes, which is great but requires additional kit - phone/tablet, cables, charger, sometimes a powered hub etc - which all need to be placed safely for the gig. So the iPhone solution is effective but quite a nuisance.

I have been considering building a USB controller using a few switches and an Arduino or similar, but this is also not straightforward (for me at any rate!).

Then it occurred to me that perhaps program +/- could be done directly the Rev 2 with a minor OS update.

Baring in mind that this functionality is likely only needed for playing live, the loss of the immediacy of saving programs is, imho, massively outweighed by being able to change program with a single button press.

I think this would make playing the Rev 2 live a different experience.

Andy

vvilms

• making interpretive dance music.
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #446 on: March 28, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
Firstly, I haven’t had the time to make it through this thread in its entirety — if these have been mentioned previously, then just count this as a “+1”.

1. The ability to switch a gated sequencer lane from advancing on note on messages to note off messages. (Sometimes a state change occurring on a release is desired.) 

2. The ability to decouple the gated sequencer from advancing with note on messages, so that the sequencer input jack could trigger state changes that correspond to other rhythmic structures while playing.

3. +1 for porting the “vintage knob”, so that the gated sequencer can be used for more interesting things.

4. +1 for being able to set an LFO to global. (Generally, I prefer non-global modulation, but a global LFO is certainly handy.)

(I’ll likely add more, but these feel the most pressing to me atm)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:45:24 AM by vvilms »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
Sequential is presently working on an OS update for the Rev2.  If you want to see these features added to the instrument, contact the company directly.  Don't ever presume that they wade through every comment on this forum.

jok3r

« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Sequential is presently working on an OS update for the Rev2.  If you want to see these features added to the instrument, contact the company directly.  Don't ever presume that they wade through every comment on this forum.
Is "presently" this time in the sense of "now" or do you refer to the more common meaning again?  ;D So are there any news when the update will come?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
It's coming, hopefully by summer. 

vvilms

• making interpretive dance music.
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2021, 09:07:02 AM »

Ah ok, I hear you. I've gone ahead and emailed them through the "Contact Us" page. Not sure if this is the best avenue for feature requests though (I know Elektron has their own feature requests email address)

I also prepended the following thought:

Illustrative video:
https://youtu.be/cxh--xAox9A

Description:
Zebra allows you to use its gated sequencer as a displacement map for modifying mod sources. The input mod-source feeds the lookup table an X value, and the resulting output modulation is the interpolated Y value.

Not entirely sure if this is feasible, but it would be incredible imho.

« Reply #451 on: April 04, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
More mod matrix source/destinations. All the obvious ones are there, but I would really appreciate some more creative ones. Maybe ARP/Seq paramters (start/stop/length/divider/etc)? OSC 1 Freq to OSC 2 Freq for FM synthesis (assuming it can modulate that fast)? There are some really interesting possibilities here to push this synth over cliff IMO.

« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2021, 12:01:30 AM »
Given that one of the unique strengths of the rev2 is the dual layer possibility, why does it not have a hardware layer balance knob?

I’m running the four outputs into a tiny (70s Sennheiser) 4->2 mixer next to my Prophet to have hands on controls over the levels... ;)

« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2021, 06:39:19 AM »
Given that one of the unique strengths of the rev2 is the dual layer possibility, why does it not have a hardware layer balance knob?

I’m running the four outputs into a tiny (70s Sennheiser) 4->2 mixer next to my Prophet to have hands on controls over the levels... ;)

That is certainly a way to deal with the relative volume. I will only work with the 16 voice version though.

« Reply #454 on: April 30, 2021, 01:10:18 AM »
1. Sending CC from the step sequencer.
2. Stage sequencer like the RYK M185 Sequencer; seems to be a small step from the step sequencer.

oriomenoni

• Never grow old, never ever die young
« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »
Word, anyone ?

As I write (May 1st, 2021) Sequential has just released a firmware update to improve the functioning of the "Vintage Slope Mode) rotary control, which now works fantastic.
I would love the same update for the Rev2 rotary Slope.  :-*
Sequential Prophet VS and Prophet Rev2, Oberheim OB-8 and Matrix-6R, Yamaha DX7II-FD, Korg 01R/W, Crumar Bit99, Roland MKS-20, MKS-50, Juno-2, D-550, S-50, S-550, U-220, R-8M, Kurzweil 900MX

« Reply #456 on: June 16, 2021, 03:15:58 AM »
I would like to see an Option for the octave +/- to behave like on the juno 06. So that you can Play one Note and press the octave Button up, and it will Jump up an octave. Right now the octave Button wont affect the pitch of the notes, that you are currently holding.

maxter

« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »
It seems that SCI have abandoned updating the Rev2 anymore at all (after 2½ years of nothing), so this thread could practically be pronounced diseased at this point.
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #458 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
Yeah, it's time to move on.  The Rev2 is what it is, and we might as well make peace with it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:03:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #459 on: June 16, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
I only meant to tell those who don't already know, as to not waste more time on feature requests that'll never happen... Yes, I'm blunt, but to see hopeful feature requests being made at this point is a bit heart-breaking. I was just acting the messenger in this case.
The Way the Truth and the Life