Feature Requests

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
Recently got the Rev2 and one thing thing I would really love to see is alternative triggering for the envelopes.  For example triggering them via LFOs.  The much inferior Deepmind (soundwise imho) is capable of some really nice generative patches because of this feature.  Ability to slew the random LFO (sample and glide) would also be really useful in this regard.

« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »
I know that I've probably mentioned this before, but I cannot get over the fact that the Random waveform in the LFO section has been so badly implemented. All other LFO waveforms are unified, which means that the same modulation values are sent to all the destination (voices). But when selecting Random, a different value is sent to each destination (voices) creating an unsusable mess of modulation.

On a Prophet 5, and many other synths from this same company, when selecting Random as LFO waveform, the same value is sent to all destinations (or voices), that randomly changes with each LFO clock cycle.

I know that this will probably NEVER be changed since there probably won't be any more software updates for this synth, and it's a shame.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #422 on: September 27, 2020, 05:56:46 PM »
I know that this will probably NEVER be changed since there probably won't be any more software updates for this synth, and it's a shame.

By no means.  Make your request known to Sequential, and it may make it into the forthcoming update.  There's hope until they say there's no hope.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:10:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
This may have been mentioned before but I think it would be great (and probably not too hard to implement) the ability to choose different curves for the envelope knobs, specifically the Amp and Filter Release knobs. It feels like for the first 75% of the knob's travel there's not much change, and then a super wide change in the last 25%. This makes it really hard to dial in long, but not super-long release times.

« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »

By no means.  Make your request known to Sequential, and it may make it into the forthcoming update.  There's hope until they say there's no hope.

Don't worry, they know about it. The problem is that there hasn't been any word at all from Sequential for many months on these feature requests for the REV2.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Excellent.  But the reason for the delay of the OS update is that they're busy with the release of the new instrument.  We seem to run into this problem every year or so: people want an older instrument to be fixed or improved immediately, while the company's time and resources are being spent on a new product.  I'm not making excuses, but I believe this is what's happening. 

One characteristic I've noticed of Sequential versus Dave Smith Instruments is that they communicate with us much less now than they used to.  Hence, we're often trying to read in between the lines.  But I do expect they'll get to the update once the new synthesizer has appeared, so don't give up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:06:42 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2020, 11:12:22 PM »

One characteristic I've noticed of Sequential versus Dave Smith Instruments is that they communicate with us much less now than they used to.  Hence, we're often trying to read in between the lines.

Yes indeed. But thanks for being so positive. 

« Reply #427 on: November 09, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
This has likely been mentioned before, but I would love to see the Fine Tune as a mod destination. Is this possible or is there something in the architecture of the rev 2 that makes this impossible?

maxter

« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2020, 05:06:14 AM »
This has likely been mentioned before, but I would love to see the Fine Tune as a mod destination. Is this possible or is there something in the architecture of the rev 2 that makes this impossible?

Yes it has, but PLEASE do send an email to support, and request it! The more requests they get, the more likely it'll be implemented, hopefully. I don't think they check on this thread too much either.

If I could request just ONE feature, it'd be osc fine tune mod destination for sure.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #429 on: November 15, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »
As well as octave stepping for Osc 1 & 2 frequency I’d love to see Live Panel Mode, I immediately searched for this when I started up the Rev2 first and was slightly confused that it wasn’t an option. It would make the instrument a lot more “live” for me- I’d like to have the option to rely less on saved patches from time to time and just play what’s there kinda thing.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned!

YES!!!

Just got my rev2 and I agree!

Tl;dr- screenz r dum use knobz

I’m feeling really inconvenienced by the lack of a “save state” or “load panel” type feature.

I am a very visual person and I dislike screen diving, which is why I prefer synths with a knob-per-function build. I can look at the knobs and know what the parameter is set to. But without this function, I have to pull up each’s parameter to see if it is indeed active on the screen (even from the basic program). 

Maybe the ability to delete a preset instead of just overwrite could allow this to happen? Though I heard “because the synth has DCOs...” so maybe it’s a feature that just isn’t possible with this architecture?

I know I can just do my little obsessive thing and turn every knob back to zero on the basic program and get basically the experience I want, but that doesn’t help when I accidentally navigate to a preset and didn’t save what I had done- at that point the positions of the knobs are useless.

This is a wonderful machine, but this is a huuuuuuge buzzkill for me and my process.

1.5 years later and this is still my biggest peeve with the rev2. One response mentioned that it would hard to sort out what the mod matrix is doing, but i think just being able to load what the physical knobs are currently set to would really help. Korg has apparently implemented an "undo" shortcut on the new opsix, and that would function nicely as far as being able to save an unsaved patch from the wrong knob-turn. I'm used to having to get fidgety with the knobs now to "reset" them, but that moment when I accidentally brush against the bank knob tho :'( Please consider it!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:37:05 PM by dblyuiiess »

« Reply #430 on: December 01, 2020, 09:34:18 AM »
I would like:
- synced LFO, so that the LFO's of the 8 or 16 voices are in phase
- Oscillators als modulation source for kind of FM stuff
- Pot Mode: Relative. Another implementation: for example, if a pot has the value 100 stored and is currently set to 63, then all values 0-100 are displayed from 0-63 and all values 101-128 between 64-128. I saw this in a DIY projekt and it was great.

« Reply #431 on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:36 PM »
I would like:
- synced LFO, so that the LFO's of the 8 or 16 voices are in phase

+1 to this...

- Right now my biggest problem with this synth is the envelopes sound way to digital.  The resolution on them is to big.  When I press a key the digital stepping of the envelope's is to strong and I wish it wouldn't be noticeable.  Especially with the filter.  Continuously Variable Envelopes

- A pot mode I would like to see is LIVE mode.  Where it loads all the values of current pot levels...  Not a big deal though because of Pass through mode, but it would be nice.

- pure SIN wave LFO

an example of digital sounding envelopes:  First is where it sort of benefits the sound and second where it doesn't.
https://youtu.be/2l4wqGh8RLs
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:08:12 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

« Reply #432 on: December 04, 2020, 02:35:05 AM »
I have an interface feature request.

Currently, the only way of changing the preset in one layer is do dig into the misc menu and scroll to the last page, where you can choose the preset for each layer (implemented in some firmware update). I always use the instrument in a "live" sitation: I mostly play the same bass preset on the left A layer, and change the right-hand B layer throughout performance. Currently, my best use is to have many patches saved with this bass preset in A and something else in B. This is quite unfortunate: If I would like to combine a range of my "A" presets with a different bass sound, I would have to create again a whole range of patches. Or dig into the misc menu.

So, my request: it would be great to have a more direct interface to this layer-specific preset-selection. It would be very convenient to be able to, e.g., double tap the layer butten and then turn the program knob to select only the preset for the currently active layer.

« Reply #433 on: December 13, 2020, 01:26:26 AM »
I think it would be helpful to be able to set the settings in the globals for mono / stereo output separately for each layer.
In a live setup, for example, standard cabling for monophonic and polyphonic sounds would be possible.
At the moment it is only possible to select mono / stereo operation for both outputs.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #434 on: January 07, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
Well I'll add it to the official feature request list:

Vintage knob behaviour for the slop knob! Please! I would prefer to LOSE the current slop behaviour entirely in favour of this feature, if there's not enough space to add it alongside.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2021, 01:59:00 PM »
Yes I love the vintage knob on my P6 and OB6, please give to the rev2 slop to go gig with it !

jok3r

« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2021, 04:55:54 AM »
As I just found out, the voice defeat debugging tool known from the OB-6 and P-6, is working on the Rev2 as well by holding down a note and then pressing Glide and hold. It will deactivate the played voice until the next power cycle of the instrument.

So the obvious feature reqest is to add a configuration option for voice count. Best thing would be on a per patch basis in the misc menue so one could use this on patches where polyphonic glide shall be used, but have the full polyphony on the next patch where a big pad shall be played.

If that is not possible, at least an option in the globals that can be edited per NRPNs would be nice.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2021, 01:04:50 AM »
I posted a topic about this a few years ago, but it's worth putting in this thread in case no one has said it:  I would like to be able to modulate the LFO frequency when it is clock-synced, ie stepping through the subdivisions.

jok3r

« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:31 AM »
I posted a topic about this a few years ago, but it's worth putting in this thread in case no one has said it:  I would like to be able to modulate the LFO frequency when it is clock-synced, ie stepping through the subdivisions.

That would be very cool. More so in conjunction with a global LFO ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:19 AM »
I'm not 100% confident if this is possible given the electronics etcetera of the Rev2's hardware, but I think it would be nice if there was a way to use all 4 outputs like this:

output A is layer A only, continuously.
output B is layer B only, continuously.

The way it is now, it switches layer A and B between output A and B respectively every 8 note triggers. If we could not have this switch every 8 notes, we could have a dedicated signal path for each layer. I could have separate effects chain for each layer.

If someone could inform me on why this switch occurs every 8 notes, I would love to hear. I have a hunch it is something to do with the nature of the voices and how they technically work under the hood, but for now it's beyond me.