Feature Requests

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
For the record -- I'd like to request that aftertouch transmission on layer B be implemented ;)
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
After messing around with the arpeggiator for some time, I feel that I'd like to have a switch that would duplicate the arpeggiated notes at the start and end of the pattern... an example:

pressing C,D,E & F with up/down would then be this sequence: C,D,E,F,E,D,C,D,E... etc.

with duplicating the start and end notes is would be this sequence: C,D,E,F,F,E,D,C,C,D,E... etc.

The reason I want this option is that if the start and end notes are duplicated, then pressing down 4 keys would ensure that the pattern would also fit the time signature of four notes... with the up/down pattern as it is now, holding down 4 keys will give you a 6 note repeating pattern, and not 8 notes which would be nice to be able to achieve.

If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »
I'd like to see a new form of voice trigger mode... not only for the REV2, but in synthesizers in general that are polyphonic.

The mode I'm thinking about is one that mimics real acoustic instruments that are "polyphonic" like stringed instruments.

With the normal polyphonic voice allocation in polyphonic synths, if you press the same key multiple times, a new voice is allocated for that note, but in acoustic instruments, if you (like on stringed instruments for example) play the same note, it does not double... if you hit the same string twice, that string is in essence "monophonic".

This behavior is impossible to simulate on any polyphonic synth that I know of, simply because they have no voice allocation mode that take this into account.

The Elektron Analog Four is a poly that can do this, using a voice allocation method called 'reassign'. See page 28 of https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Analog-Four-MKII-User-Manual_ENG-2.pdf

« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2018, 05:36:43 AM »
There is this nice short cut: press modulation source & move modulation wheel, which allows you to assign a modulation to the wheel. Now, if you already have a modulation assigned to the modulation wheel, this short cut doesn't do anything anymore. That's a pity, I often want a second destination to the mod wheel.

« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2018, 06:22:48 AM »
Uhm, I've got an idea:
'Below 0' as a static "speed" for the Flanger/Phaser/Chorus (Rate controlled effects)
that could be nice; the Phaser would then become a static notch filter so it could be used as a pseudo EQ sort of?

If there was a setting below 0 = static/stop,
but then, how would we sweep the frequency of the effect? Would depth 'tell' it where the point is?

(I guess it is possible to send an inverted LFO to the rate parameter?)

« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2018, 02:12:22 AM »
1. Gate sequencer sending midi notes
2. And have a midi control message as destination

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2018, 04:27:54 AM »
I'd like to see two simple additions to the LFOs:

1. Slew parameter
2. Phase Start (when the LFO is in key-sync mode)

the reason is simple: to be able to create a lot more shapes from combining the LFOs (routing one LFO to the Rate or Amount parameters of another LFO), and also smooth out edges in the S&H/Square/Saw/rev.Saw shapes.

Especially when you key-sync two LFOs, and also clock sync them... if two LFOs are running at the exact same speed via clock sync, and you let one control the other's amount parameter, it's basically like Amp modulating an LFO within a single LFO cycle, and this can create many interesting modulations... also when the modulating LFO is in time multiples of the modulated LFO... and if you have the ability to control the phase offset of an LFO, you can create many more interesting curves from this... add slew and you get even more results.

I bet SCI already have the code for this, as I know you have slew as a parameter on the P12 for example... cannot be that much work to implement this (?).

dsetto

« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
respectfully,

1. Independent amplitude envelope control of oscillators in one layer.
2. Delay added to front of ADSR amp envelope (DADSR)

(obviously, I don't have an idea of limitations, of whatever type. thank you.)

jok3r

« Reply #268 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
respectfully,

Isn't there a Delay knob in this section? Or am I missing something? ;-)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #269 on: October 10, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
I know this has been asked before and wiped off the table by DSI, but I'm really sick and tired of the way recording stacked mode programs with the polysequencer works, so I'm asking this again and hope others will start chiming in on this so that maybe someday it will be implemented:

I can understand, that you would want to record a separate sequence for layer A and B when you are in SPLIT mode, or using the REV2 as a dual timbral synth... I agree that far... but when I'm playing a stacked program, where both layers join up to create the instrument as a whole, then it's really annoying that I have to either record each layer separately, or enter a menu afterward to copy one layers sequence to the other to get both layers playing the same sequence... this really is a nobrainer! ... when you record on the sequencer with a stacked program, both layers should be recorded into at the same time.

I use the sequencer as a scratchpad... I never ever store a sequence with the program because why would you!? you'd want to play different melodies depending on what score you're working on, you really have no need for a "one timer sequence" that will only be used once... therefore it's irritating and very unintuitive to have to record twice, or enter a menu to copy it... you may make more than one try when recording... maybe you did not get it right, maybe you want a different melody going, but every single time I have to do these convoluted workarounds to get the same played sequence into the sequencer layers... it's counter intuitive!

At least, as things stand with the editing of the layers, you can always edit both layers simultaneously by holding down layer B for a second (LED start flashing)... but when I do this, the record button is unavailable!? ... why!? would it not follow the design philosophy to let you record to both layers when in that mode? Everything else is going to both layers in this mode (!)

Please SCI! ... consider this feature... it would make the sequencer a lot more intuitive to use... as it is now it confuses people when they try to record a stacked program, leaving bogus old material playing on a stacked program's B layer, and even split the two layers tones that should go together making it sound completely wrong... there is not even a quick way to erase this B layer.

and sorry if I come out a bit harsh, but this is getting quite annoying... it makes me not wanna use the sequencer at all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:48:45 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2018, 03:35:36 AM »
respectfully,

Isn't there a Delay knob in this section? Or am I missing something? ;-)

well, the amp adsr has one, just not in front of it (visually).

« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
Almost one year ago, but for me still valid:
HOLD functionality user defined:

1. the 'DSI' way: adding notes to until full polyphony is reached
2. the 'regular' way: latch the played tones / chords until next tone / chord is played.

Only one example: I have been working on a stacked patch with a pad on layer A and a lead on layer B. B uses the arp, A doesn't. I cannot use the hold function. Layer B relatches fine, layer A collects all notes which is not what I want. When playing the arp I would like layer A playing the chord.

Switching the functionality in the global menu would be fine.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:22 AM »
Am I the only one to think that an "Auto" clock sync would be very important ?
I am using the Rev2 always with a DAW and it's really a massive pain for the workflow. I'm not even talking about bringing it on stage, and have to go to the globals to be able to just PLAY a program that has a gated sequencer in it (like 90% of my sounds).

« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
Just wondering. Is there a reason why theirs no modulation destiny for LPF sustain and modwheel.  Especially the modwheel would be nice as it would save some mod slots. Is this possible to implement in the future update?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2018, 02:48:55 AM »
I've been working quite a bit and deeply with the REV2 now for about 6 months doing sound design, and in the course of that time, I've found a couple of features that I would have liked to have on the REV2 quite often. I hope that Sequential will consider these options... they would have no impact on backward compatibility, just simply a few simple additions, some of them already present in other synths they've done.

1. LFO 1-4 Slew parameter. I've wanted this rather often, so that i can smooth out abrupt changes in the LFO's. I often combine several LFO's to obtain complex new waveforms, but as soon as either Saw, Rev.Saw, Pulse or Random is involved, there will be abrupt changes in the curve... I would really like to be able to smooth these out.

2. LFO 1-4 Quantize parameter. This parameter would be really nice for doing complex tonal patterns (when routed to pitch for example). It should be located BEFORE the Slew parameter of course so that the resulting steps can be smoothed out if you want to. With several LFO's using this at different setting, and routed to the same destination, some really long and evolving patterns could be created for all kinds of modulation.

3. LFO 1-4 EG-Trigger. Per see, this may seem odd, but I once had this feature on a small analog synth (M.A.R.S.) and it allowed for some really cool triggering effects, especially in the FX department. Every time an LFO start it's cycle anew, it triggers all envelopes... this is perfect if you want to create stuff like "twinkling stars"... tiny "blips" of sound that is triggered by a running LFO... by changing LFO speed you can change the time between the "twinkling stars", and with multiple LFO's retriggering the envelopes, complex random S&H like patterns can be created... Currently, the only way to obtain retriggering of the envelopes while a key is held, is via the arpeggiator or gated sequencer, but this always run at the same speed which greatly limit it's use for this purpose.

4. "Key Random" source in the list of modulation sources. This has been asked by others as well. It's a very handy source for a lot of different tasks, and should not be that hard to implement.

5. "Key-Off Velocity" source in the list of modulation sources. I don't know why this is not already present (?) ... it's an integrated value in the note-off command already, so why not let it be available in the sources? I'm sure some users will find a use for it.

that's about it really... I hope some of them will find their way into any of the Sequential synths both current and new ones.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:54:23 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
I've been working quite a bit and deeply with the REV2 now for about 6 months doing sound design, and in the course of that time, I've found a couple of features that I would have liked to have on the REV2 quite often. I hope that Sequential will consider these options... they would have no impact on backward compatibility, just simply a few simple additions, some of them already present in other synths they've done.

1. LFO 1-4 Slew parameter. I've wanted this rather often, so that i can smooth out abrupt changes in the LFO's. I often combine several LFO's to obtain complex new waveforms, but as soon as either Saw, Rev.Saw, Pulse or Random is involved, there will be abrupt changes in the curve... I would really like to be able to smooth these out.

2. LFO 1-4 Quantize parameter. This parameter would be really nice for doing complex tonal patterns (when routed to pitch for example). It should be located BEFORE the Slew parameter of course so that the resulting steps can be smoothed out if you want to. With several LFO's using this at different setting, and routed to the same destination, some really long and evolving patterns could be created for all kinds of modulation.

3. LFO 1-4 EG-Trigger. Per see, this may seem odd, but I once had this feature on a small analog synth (M.A.R.S.) and it allowed for some really cool triggering effects, especially in the FX department. Every time an LFO start it's cycle anew, it triggers all envelopes... this is perfect if you want to create stuff like "twinkling stars"... tiny "blips" of sound that is triggered by a running LFO... by changing LFO speed you can change the time between the "twinkling stars", and with multiple LFO's retriggering the envelopes, complex random S&H like patterns can be created... Currently, the only way to obtain retriggering of the envelopes while a key is held, is via the arpeggiator or gated sequencer, but this always run at the same speed which greatly limit it's use for this purpose.

You REALLY need to start digging into the gated sequencer, Razmo.  :)

1. LFO Slew: Set mode to no gate, set seq1 destination as desired, step 1 to 75, step 2 to 25, and step 3 to reset. Now set seq1 destination to slew, steps 1 and 2 to 75, and step 3 to reset. You've just made your own slewed LFO! Adjust to taste. If you make a longer sequence the sequence becomes a custom wave shape--like a looping EG.

2. Quantize: Step sequencers are all about quantization!

3. EG trigger: Yep, gated seq. Set mode to normal, destination to EG amount, and each step to the amount you want the EG triggered.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »

You REALLY need to start digging into the gated sequencer, Razmo.  :)

1. LFO Slew: Set mode to no gate, set seq1 destination as desired, step 1 to 75, step 2 to 25, and step 3 to reset. Now set seq1 destination to slew, steps 1 and 2 to 75, and step 3 to reset. You've just made your own slewed LFO! Adjust to taste. If you make a longer sequence the sequence becomes a custom wave shape--like a looping EG.

2. Quantize: Step sequencers are all about quantization!

3. EG trigger: Yep, gated seq. Set mode to normal, destination to EG amount, and each step to the amount you want the EG triggered.

1. I'd rather have a parameter for this in the LFO section. It will never be the same with the sequencers... they are synced to each other, and cannot have separate speeds... neither can they give you the same shapes as the LFOs would be able to.

2. Nope... you will not be able to create the kind of combined LFO stepped patterns the same way with the sequencers... yes, you can create different lengths, but not speeds like you would be able to with the LFOs combined...

3. Nope... the sequencers again run at a fixed speed, so I'll not be able to get retriggers that vary in speed... it's just not possible.

but with that said... you can certainly make some interesting things with the tricks with your suggestions :) ... I just find that the features I'm asking for would be nice to have, without having to rely on using the sequencers for this... I'd like those free for other tasks.

« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
1. I'd rather have a parameter for this in the LFO section. It will never be the same with the sequencers... they are synced to each other, and cannot have separate speeds... neither can they give you the same shapes as the LFOs would be able to.

2. Nope... you will not be able to create the kind of combined LFO stepped patterns the same way with the sequencers... yes, you can create different lengths, but not speeds like you would be able to with the LFOs combined...

3. Nope... the sequencers again run at a fixed speed, so I'll not be able to get retriggers that vary in speed... it's just not possible.

but with that said... you can certainly make some interesting things with the tricks with your suggestions :) ... I just find that the features I'm asking for would be nice to have, without having to rely on using the sequencers for this... I'd like those free for other tasks.
Just saying you can do 90% what you are asking for already if you don’t want to wait for features that probably will never make it. Seqs are locked to the clock but can have different rates if you program the steps and slew right, e.g. skipping steps halves the speed. You can also get pretty much any shape the LFO offers. Min/max 2 step is a square, slewed 25/75 is a triangle, trigger an envelope for saw and a lot more options not in the LFOs. No Rate Modulation but you can skip steps for variation.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2018, 06:27:25 AM »

Just saying you can do 90% what you are asking for already if you don’t want to wait for features that probably will never make it. Seqs are locked to the clock but can have different rates if you program the steps and slew right, e.g. skipping steps halves the speed. You can also get pretty much any shape the LFO offers. Min/max 2 step is a square, slewed 25/75 is a triangle, trigger an envelope for saw and a lot more options not in the LFOs. No Rate Modulation but you can skip steps for variation.

I'v not dived that far into the gated sequencer yet, so I may be missing out on some things you are mentioning... but that said, there are still advantages to the proposed features i came with... the first and most important is that since the BPM is not a modulation destination, whatever you program in the gated sequencers will run side by side on all four sequencers, at a predetermined speed... it puts some limitations on what you can do compared to having these ekstra parameters in the LFO's themselves... I know (being a programmer myself), that those features are not very demanding... they should be relatively easy to make... a simple quantize parameter is probably no more than a few lines of code in the right place, plus reservation of the parameter in memory and a short extention of the modulation destinations to include these new parameters... that is yet another reason to have them separate; you woul dbe able to modulate both slewspeed and quantize in the matrix for even more fun.

Try to imagine the possibility of four LFO's acting together to control pitch... one could be a very slow random source, another a sine with quantize, a third a ramp and a third a sine... all these routed to pitch, with LFO's at different speeds and amounts and slew... now think these intermodulating eachother as well.... it would give so many different curves that could potentially evolve for several minutes... you could modulate speed and amounts from controllers... a lot of things you cannot do with the gated sequencers... I'd really like to have these options available as they give so many more modulation options for long and evolving parameter modulation.

I know that many want new features, and that not everything will find it's way into the OS... I'll even survive if these did not see their way into a future OS... but if I do not ask, then surely it will not happen... At least the P12 has slew as a dedicated LFO parameter, so I'd hope for at least that... they probably already have the code for it since it is in the P12.

Quantize could be partially done with the gated sequencers, so that would be my second wish after slew... and gating envelopes via LFO would be my last one.

jok3r

« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
I would also like to have slew on the LFOs. Especially for the S&H waveform it's really nice if the values don't jump so abruptly.

I did a very nice wind patch on my PEAK by modulating filter cutoff with slewed random LFOs. It has two LFOs that both modulate the cutoff, while modulating their frequencies mutually. It sounds like a very big storm is coming up and the wind gusts never repeat... I think this patch could still be better on a Rev2 with 4(!) slewed LFOs.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES