Feature Requests

dsetto

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:14 AM »
LFO One-Shot mode!

I want to be able to use my lfo's as additional envelopes.
Eg:  with key sync engaged and sawtooth shape selected it triggers only once as a decay stage.
I like this. (Doesn't seem resource-intensive.)

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2018, 05:57:54 AM »
Sorry if it's been asked already, but:

LFO One-Shot mode!

Eg:  with key sync engaged and sawtooth shape selected it triggers only once as a decay stage.

This you could achieve using the auxiliary envelope (destination: depth of LFO)

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:19 AM »
A better naming/alphabet system.
The way the encoder speeds up / multiplies with a turn is very nice and quite precise. All good in my opinion.
but
I want an additional way of naming/typing.
BY FAR the best method is from Elektron, once you got it, it takes a couple of seconds to write a name for a patch:

—————
(Oscillator Level; untied from the Mix? -perhaps as a Modulation Destination or a Misc. Parameters setting?)
—————
Last but not least (fingers crossed; pun?)
(Cross) Modulation (Poly Mod) between oscillators 1&2, like on the Pro-One and Prophet 5, you could send Osc. B into Osc. A,
the 'closest' thing I can get to that is either by a KBD Tracked LFO at high rates* or the 'Audio Out' Modulation Source (The Ring Modulation effect is also quite nice)

Is it possible to achieve a rate/speed Multiplier for the LFOs or are they analog as well?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:14:00 AM by hageir »

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
Sorry if it's been asked already, but:

LFO One-Shot mode!

This you could achieve using the auxiliary envelope (destination: depth of LFO)

But that would require me to use up my aux envelope when I could have four one shot lfo's with their own independent rate and depth controls.

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
Oh, before I forget:
a more detailed way of handling; importing and exporting the microtonal scales
(I would like to back up the factory scales and I want to choose the 'slots' where I drop in new ones)

« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
You can download the factory alternate tuning scales from the "Download Sound Banks" page for the Rev2 (and all instruments that support alternate tunings). You can also choose which slot new tunings go into by changing the "program number" byte in the SysEx file before sending it to the synth. So, perhaps not exactly what you're asking for but you can get pretty close with the current implementation.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
Hi,

this is the feature i missed instantly on day one when i started exploring my PRO-2 and its the same with the REV2.

You can modulate the frequency of a LFO but only if it is not switched to CLK SYNC.
It would be great if you could modulate ( or control via midi ) a tempo synced LFO.
Instead of changing the frequency number from 0-127 it should change the steps 8Steps 4Steps 2Steps 1.Steps etc...
This could map to a number Range. So that the 16 Step Settings that there are are mapping to a range of 8 Numbers

E.g:
32 Steps =  0-7
16 Steps =  8-15
 8 Steps = 16-23
 6 Steps = 24 - 31
 4 Steps = 32 - 39
 3 Steps = 40 - 47
 2 Steps = 48 - 55
1.5 Steps = 56 - 63
 1 Step = 64 - 71
2/3 Step = 72 - 79
1/2 Step = 80 - 87
1/3 Step = 88 - 95
1/4 Step = 96 - 103
1/6 Step = 104 - 111
1/8 Step = 112 - 119
1/16 Step = 120 - 127

There are many use cases for this. An example would be:
Create a filtered sound, assign LFO with e.g. revers saw to Filter Frequency.
LFO switched to click synced and change the "frequency aka steps" of that LFO.
You get very cool rhythmic patterns.
Dear lord yes!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »
This has probably been requested before, but I guess it won't hurt to wish for it again:

An extra global LFO...

I know that the "per voice" LFO's are individual and meant for each voice, which is also what it should be like, but the REV2 has a modulateable FX engine which is essentially monophonic and works on all voices at the same time, thus it's CRUCIAL that the mod matrix can route a global LFO to those parameters, otherwise the result is complete chaos.

An example: when I route an LFO to the hipass filter cutoff, the effect I get is a modulation that seem to jump here and there because the LFO routed to it is from the currently last played voice... it's completely unuseable to be honest.

So please... if it could be added as some extras in the MISC menu, please add a global LFO and add it to the modulation sources.

You'd imagine that a global EG would also be crucial, but since it always restart when a new key is pressed, it's not needed... also, if you use the four LFO's with keysync on, it will also work, but many of the FX has parameters that would benefit from a free running global LFO.

If the four LFO's could somehow get a switch for a "global mode" that would of course also do it, but I do not know if the hardware would allow this...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2018, 10:46:49 PM »
This has probably been requested before, but I guess it won't hurt to wish for it again:

An extra global LFO...

I know that the "per voice" LFO's are individual and meant for each voice, which is also what it should be like, but the REV2 has a modulateable FX engine which is essentially monophonic and works on all voices at the same time, thus it's CRUCIAL that the mod matrix can route a global LFO to those parameters, otherwise the result is complete chaos.

An example: when I route an LFO to the hipass filter cutoff, the effect I get is a modulation that seem to jump here and there because the LFO routed to it is from the currently last played voice... it's completely unuseable to be honest.

So please... if it could be added as some extras in the MISC menu, please add a global LFO and add it to the modulation sources.

You'd imagine that a global EG would also be crucial, but since it always restart when a new key is pressed, it's not needed... also, if you use the four LFO's with keysync on, it will also work, but many of the FX has parameters that would benefit from a free running global LFO.

If the four LFO's could somehow get a switch for a "global mode" that would of course also do it, but I do not know if the hardware would allow this...

I seem to remember that DSI were pretty clear in saying that there will never be any global LFO mode on the REV2, and not to keep our hopes up, very unfortunately.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
Well... I'll wish for a way to get a free running global LFO anyway... Did they have any particular reason to not making a simple single global LFO?

« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
Well... I'll wish for a way to get a free running global LFO anyway... Did they have any particular reason to not making a simple single global LFO?
It seems like architecture of the Rev 2 is such that it is essentially 16 monophonic synthesizers. I actually enjoy the fact that the LFO, gated seq, and 3rd looping EG run independently per voice. It's fairly unique and can create some complex rhthmic patterns just by staggering keystrokes. But I know it's not something everyone wants all the time.

One way of getting a global LFO is to use the Pedal/CV input. Obviously it requires a second device with LFO out like a Moogerfooger, Moog CP-251, a Eurorack module, etc., but it then lets you route a global LFO to any parameter in the mod matrix.

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
It seems like architecture of the Rev 2 is such that it is essentially 16 monophonic synthesizers. I actually enjoy the fact that the LFO, gated seq, and 3rd looping EG run independently per voice. It's fairly unique and can create some complex rhthmic patterns just by staggering keystrokes. But I know it's not something everyone wants all the time.

One way of getting a global LFO is to use the Pedal/CV input. Obviously it requires a second device with LFO out like a Moogerfooger, Moog CP-251, a Eurorack module, etc., but it then lets you route a global LFO to any parameter in the mod matrix.

Yes, fortunately we have a CV input for an external global LFO. I've found a way to temporary get an LFO to act as a global one; I momentarily set KEY SYNC to ON, and press 16 keys at once (using my forearm to press a minimum of 16 keys at a time) and then set KEY SYNC to OFF. Not an elegant way to do it, but it works...for a while. After several minutes, all 16 LFOs (on a 16 voice model) will start to slightly drift apart again (especially if the synth is very busy).

An, unfortunately, the Random waveform will generate a different value for each one of the 16 LFOs, but the changes will be in sync. Not exactly global LFO behavior.
But then again, DSI were pretty clear about that too: there won't be any firmware updates offering to get true global LFO behavior, because they're not in the habit of copying what other manufacturers do. A bit silly if you ask me, since most of the features of many of their synths DO offer the same kinds of features as other manufacturers (2 osc per voice, LPF, ADSR envelopes, MOD matrix, etc...). 
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

4dubs

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

Yes, fortunately we have a CV input for an external global LFO. I've found a way to temporary get an LFO to act as a global one; I momentarily set KEY SYNC to ON, and press 16 keys at once (using my forearm to press a minimum of 16 keys at a time) and then set KEY SYNC to OFF. Not an elegant way to do it, but it works...for a while. After several minutes, all 16 LFOs (on a 16 voice model) will start to slightly drift apart again (especially if the synth is very busy).

[/quote]

Pretty sure someone else mentioned this same approach in another thread, albeit they suggested first enabling unison mode with all 16 (or 8) voices stacked.  This allows for hitting just a single key to get everything in sync (temporarily) rather than having to use the forearm technique.  Unison can then be disabled.   
DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »

I did not mean in any way that it should be substituted for a global LFO... the way it works is essential... I'm just talking about maybe an extra digital global LFO in the MISC section, that would get added to the mod sources and destinations ... as things are now, you can only use a free running LFO on the FX parameters, if the preset is monophonic so it always is assigned the same LFO... it will not work in polyphonic mode.

An example of what I want to do: Use the Hipass filter as a sort of frequency booster... by setting the MIX to 50/50, and cranking the resonance up to max, and then modulate the cutoff via an LFO... this can get me some nice modulations that boost frequencies up and down the frequency spectrum... but try it! ... set an LFO with a triangle, and you'll definitely not get af nice triangle sweep of the cutoff... it bounces up and down depending on what voice's LFO gets assigned to the cutoff, and it changes with each keystroke.

I just think that if DSI give us the abillity to actually modulate the two FX parameters, then at least it should be possible to modulate them via an LFO, one of the most obvious modulation sources for many of these parameters...

Using something on the CV input is not good enough for me because this is not something everyone have, and if I want to create program banks for others to use, I'd like to incorporate this kind of modulation as part of the preset.

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »
I must say I agree with this point completely, they’ve seriously crippled the usefulness of the FX as mod destinations.  I hope someone there is wise enough to see that this one should definitely be added, heck it should have been thought of at the start honestly.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2018, 12:55:35 AM »
I have to add something to my above request... for some reason, today, when I create a program routing an LFO to the cutoff of the hipassfilter FX, it seems to work... result is not bouncing around anymore... I made a few tests with the other mod sources that should work polyphonically and realized, that the "global thing" is actually taken care of regarding the modulation of FX parameters... also the LFOs.

When I about when the LFO bounced around the last time, I can remember that it shifted every 8 keypresses... so I assume that it happened as part of the edit buffer dump bug, that is currently on their bugfix list (you can read about this in my dedicated topic).

So I'll say that there is no need to implement a global LFO anyway... at least not for the FX section.

I know others would want a global LFO for the filter... and if DSI has stated that a global LFO is not going to be made for the LFO's, then maybe a request for a Lowpass and even bandpass filter in the FX section is an alternative for those who want to have a global modulateable lowpass filter... if it works with the hipass filter it should work with any filter FX.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:05:20 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »

Pretty sure someone else mentioned this same approach in another thread, albeit they suggested first enabling unison mode with all 16 (or 8) voices stacked.  This allows for hitting just a single key to get everything in sync (temporarily) rather than having to use the forearm technique.  Unison can then be disabled.
Yep

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2127.msg23142.html#msg23142
https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2027.0.html

-press unison button while holding misc params (this is shortcut to that area in menu)
-turn unison mode to all of your available voices (8 or 16)
-turn on unison
-turn on key sync on lfo then press a note. The lfos are now synced.
-turn off key sync and turn off unison

It gets the LFOs in sync and they will stay in sync even after saving and returning the patch and turning it off/on. Of course if you WANT the LFOs independent you have to hit Key Sync. But the LFOs seem to remember their sync state across patches. So if you had saved a patch with synced LFOs, hit Key Sync on another patch, then go back to the synced LFO patch, the LFOs will no longer be in sync.

I suppose it's smart to remember to sync them again after saving a non-synced patch if global is your default for most patches.

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
I have to add something to my above request... for some reason, today, when I create a program routing an LFO to the cutoff of the hipassfilter FX, it seems to work... result is not bouncing around anymore... I made a few tests with the other mod sources that should work polyphonically and realized, that the "global thing" is actually taken care of regarding the modulation of FX parameters... also the LFOs.

When I about when the LFO bounced around the last time, I can remember that it shifted every 8 keypresses... so I assume that it happened as part of the edit buffer dump bug, that is currently on their bugfix list (you can read about this in my dedicated topic).

So I'll say that there is no need to implement a global LFO anyway... at least not for the FX section.

I know others would want a global LFO for the filter... and if DSI has stated that a global LFO is not going to be made for the LFO's, then maybe a request for a Lowpass and even bandpass filter in the FX section is an alternative for those who want to have a global modulateable lowpass filter... if it works with the hipass filter it should work with any filter FX.
Right, only one LFO is needed for an effect since effects are post-VCA, so there's no out-of-sync state when using LFOs on the effects section. However the LFO modulating the effects section can be out of sync with the others. The reason it's a phenomenon at all (I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's a feature or an issue!) with modulating the actual synth voice is that each voice has its own LFOs for a total of 32 on the 8 voice or 64 on the 16 voice. But the workaround above works for modulating the LPF with synced LFOs.

« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »
I really love the REV 2 but there is one thing that is really frustrating; how easy it it to lose you changes.
What would be nice is a (like a software application on your computer would do) warning that you are going to lose you data before it actually switches to the next patch.

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
I want a Layer A/B Mix setting in the Misc Params, that would default to 50, equal amounts of both, so that there is more control over the volume of Stacks and Splits, with 0 all Layer A, 99 all Layer B.

Oh, maybe you can just do that using the Amp Envelope Amount.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:41:00 PM by roberth909 »
Moog Voyager, Novation Peak, Waldorf Microwave XT, Nord Wave, Emu Audity 2000, Yamaha SY85 & TG500, Waldorf Pulse+, Yamaha FS1R, Sequential Pro One, Korg Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha CS-15, MFB Tanzbar, Crumar Bit-99, Emu Emax I, Casio FZ-20M, 12U of Eurorack.