Feature Requests

Sleep of Reason

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
I'd prefer a visual representation of filter, etc. If this guy can do it with a one man operation, I don't see why DSI can't implement something similar. Ofc the Korg Mini/monologue has something like this too. Although having a little number icon showing the amount of voices being used at any given time would be pretty nifty as well.

3) Category search. Almost seems necessary with over a 1000 sounds and would help me a lot when searching for a certain sound.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... yes, yes, yes!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:29:15 AM by Sleep of Reason »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2017, 01:22:46 AM »
I'd prefer a visual representation of filter, etc. If this guy can do it with a one man operation, I don't see why DSI can't implement something similar. Ofc the Korg Mini/monologue has something like this too. Although having a little number icon showing the amount of voices being used at any given time would be pretty nifty as well.

3) Category search. Almost seems necessary with over a 1000 sounds and would help me a lot when searching for a certain sound.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... yes, yes, yes!

If it's just a graphic representation of the Filter as in that link, sure they can implement it... if you want the changing waveform display as in that video also, I think it's not possible hardware-wise because that would require sampling the output of every single voice to show it correctly, and I bet DSI did not put an ADC after every Curtis chip.

One thing they should be able to do though, is a realtime summed waveform display of what is playing, like on the KORG monologues because if you look in the modulation sources, you can see that you can use "Audio Out" as a modulation source, and the manual also state, that the whole mixed signal is sampled after the VCAs, but before the FX engine (which is logical, since that is the way the analog signal is put thru the digital FX section... this signal could be used to make a graphical realtime scope... something I'd actually suggest as a feature because such a scope is really handy when you do sound design... it makes it possible to spot even small amounts of distortion from too high levels etc. but also how the oscillators change with modulation and interact... probably not one of the most important features, but it would definitely be useful, and cool looking.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
I miss an option to turn of the OLED screen completely so that even midi does not trigger it on.
I use my module and remote control it, so I can't see anything on the screen anyway :-)

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
I had two rev2s and noticed that both had pulswidth differences on certain settings and tones between voices. Interestingly in blocks of 4 voices.

One rev2 had voices 5-8 different to 1-4 and 9-16 and similar to 8-12. The other one had voices 13-16 different to the others. In some cases this is bothering me, most notably when playing certain bass notes with wide, static pulse widths.

This is, except the 4 voice blocks, not unique to the Rev2, other units have various discrepancies including filters (where auto calibration does not help) and loudness.

So, I would like to suggest an option so users can manually tune/offset parameters for each voice. Actually not just regarding PW but also filters including other units as well (Prophet 12, 6).

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
I miss an option to turn of the OLED screen completely so that even midi does not trigger it on.
I use my module and remote control it, so I can't see anything on the screen anyway :-)

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
I split the "pulse width" talk into its own topic, located here.

Please keep this thread specific to feature requests.
Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

Just to explain: The reason I request this feature is to prolong the longevity of the screen. I would also like to see this for the Prophet 12. If you use the module versions of these synthesizers and remote control them via midi editors, these screens show the very same pixels for hours and hours. Even worse, it's maximum contrast, white on black.

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »

Just to explain: The reason I request this feature is to prolong the longevity of the screen. I would also like to see this for the Prophet 12. If you use the module versions of these synthesizers and remote control them via midi editors, these screens show the very same pixels for hours and hours. Even worse, it's maximum contrast, white on black.

Yes, that would be a good feature to add to save the screen.

[rant mode On]
And, while we're on the subject, this OLED technology is not well suited for displays on synths. And until they find a way to have the lifespan stated in decades, instead of hours, it's doomed as a display technology. Yes, it's crisp and fast, with excellent contrast. But the limited lifespan and poor performance under bright light, not to mention the higher price (for now), make it less than ideal.
I've got 30 year old synths that have VFD, or LCD, or even LED displays that are still working very well, and they don't have, nor do they need, any screen saving feature. One, my Ensoniq SQ80, shows some faint signs of burn-in on some segments on its VFD display, but it's barely noticeable after 29 years of being powered-on.
If OLED technology doesn't get better, and require the need for screen saving feature, it will take the way of the Plasma TV screens, which is OUT.

[rant mode Off]
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »
[rant mode On]
And, while we're on the subject, this OLED technology is not well suited for displays on synths. And until they find a way to have the lifespan stated in decades, instead of hours, it's doomed as a display technology. Yes, it's crisp and fast, with excellent contrast. But the limited lifespan and poor performance under bright light, not to mention the higher price (for now), make it less than ideal.
I've got 30 year old synths that have VFD, or LCD, or even LED displays that are still working very well, and they don't have, nor do they need, any screen saving feature. One, my Ensoniq SQ80, shows some faint signs of burn-in on some segments on its VFD display, but it's barely noticeable after 29 years of being powered-on.
If OLED technology doesn't get better, and require the need for screen saving feature, it will take the way of the Plasma TV screens, which is OUT.

[rant mode Off]

All displays die after a period of time, including (if not especially!) the Ensoniq VFD displays (such as the SQ-80). There are plenty of options for display replacement, provided that the schematics are handy, and provided that the chassis cutout is reasonably large enough. I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 05:42:27 AM »
When tweaking a sound a feedback in the display would be great when you reach the value where you started of. Could be a white dot or circle.  It would be much easier to go back to initial settings.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
When tweaking a sound a feedback in the display would be great when you reach the value where you started of. Could be a white dot or circle.  It would be much easier to go back to initial settings.

Agreed. But the "Compare" button is also a way to know. But not as practical as a dot on the display.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »
Poly Sequencer transpose.

Hold the "Hold" button down, it starts flashing indicating that the sequencer can be transposed by the keys on the fly.

Page 44 of the manual. 
Play sequence;  Hold record button while playing keyboard.

Request:  It would be nice to toggle this feature instead of holding the record button.

I like to program a series of rests/ties onto one note in the seqencer and then transpose live.  (for now i use my microbrute for this) :)

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Hi all, I just received an 8 voice desktop yesterday, really enjoying it! It was an impulse buy, but I’m totally happy with my decision. I enthusiastically agree with these feature requests:

My addition to the list: If the current patch has been edited, there's a prompt on the screen to ask if you want to lose your edits before changing patches should the Program or Bank knobs be turned.

Yes +1 for this, it's very frustrating to spend time programming a great sound, only to have it all disappear because your finger accidentally brushes the program knob when your trying to press the write button - grrrr!

I mention this first because it happened to me last night - had a killer jam going, was just at that point where I was like, I should record this, and then I brushed the program knob, lost everything. I guess I should record more liberally, save my patches more often, but…

Sequencer Midi Out

This is #1 on my wish list. I imagine it’s not very practical for the gated sequencers since they can be routed anywhere and are part of the patch. But the ability to bounce regular midi note data from the poly sequencer (and arp) would be friggin’ ace. The poly sequencer is pretty much what pushed me over the edge on this synth. I don’t play keys and sitting at a keyboard and trying to come up with something for me is just blah. I much prefer just entering data and playing with it until it sounds right.

This is basically how I want to work with the synth - enter note data on the rev2 poly sequencer, then advance through the steps like an sh101/jx3p sequencer with gates programmed from my drum machine and/or modular. It’s super easy to build complex patterns from simple parts this way - for example, program a 7 step sequence on the rev2 and advance through it with a 9 triggers in a 16 step bar on a drum machine or whatever. Once I’ve got a cool sequence and rhythm, I’d like to be able to bounce it down to an external sequence. This would open up the sequencer slot on the rev2 so I could use the gated sequencers to modulate other parameters. That would also give me the original poly sequence to edit and/or port to other synths or patches on the rev2.

I'm telling ya, sequencer midi out would be just awesome - you should totally do it.

- - - -

So those are the big things that I'd like to lobby for. Other things off the top of my head…

It’s already been mentioned, but the ability to modulate the sustain stage on the envelopes, that’d be cool.

It’d also be cool to have a poly mode like poly 2 on the Jupiter 6. Paraphrased from the jp6 manual - ‘only the last note(s) played receive their natural release length’, so the next note(s) cuts off the previous note(s)’ release.

Also would be cool - the ability to select different divisions relative to the master tempo for each gated sequencer.

Anyways, thanks for your consideration, I should get back to the synth!

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
It's truly time for preset categories (and perhaps live set-list mode) now that the Korg Prologue has such features.

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
Just to put it out there, it's never been our prerogative to shape the functionality of our instruments based on what our competitors do. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, our users come up with great feature ideas, but they are not always practical to implement, and if a particular feature doesn't fit the design ethos of the product, it's not likely to get implemented.

That said, no one should hold back with even the wildest requests--that's what this thread is for!
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Just to put it out there, it's never been our prerogative to shape the functionality of our instruments based on what our competitors do. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, our users come up with great feature ideas, but they are not always practical to implement, and if a particular feature doesn't fit the design ethos of the product, it's not likely to get implemented.

That said, no one should hold back with even the wildest requests--that's what this thread is for!

That's a nice way to tell us to basically forget about any new feature, but to keep on dreaming even if some of them, while really useful and great suggestions, will never be implemented. Because DSI doesn't follow what other companies do ?

Well, at least they're upfront about it.
Might as well lock this thread then, or perhaps renamed it Dreamer's Utopia Corner ?  ;)  ;D

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
No, we're not saying nothing will ever get implemented. We've been extremely clear with communication, so you guys know what to expect. Would you prefer the standard practice of indefinitely offering lip service, repeatedly promising to implement everything, and delivering on nothing?

This is a feature requests thread. It does not mean features will be implemented. It also does not mean we won't implement any features suggested here. It also does not mean we don't listen to our customers.

Complaining that other companies have a feature, or that your feature isn't implemented but it should be, or why isn't your feature implemented even though it has been suggested previously will certainly not do anything other than turn this thread into an unpleasant place to interact.

We all know it's frustrating when something that you view critical to your workflow or something "glaringly obvious" (to you) hasn't been addressed. However, I will remind you it's best to take the instrument for what it is when you purchase it. Some features will get implemented over time, some will not, because of the litany of reasons cited previously.

We make extremely flexible musical instruments that are capable of creating fantastic sounds right out of the box. Can any commercial product ever manufactured be improved? Unquestionably. Does this mean nothing is useable or good until it's been revised to your personal specifications? Definitely not.

No instrument is perfect, and no instrument will have absolutely every feature and workflow you want. But everything we make is useable now. It's literally impossible to implement everything that everyone wants, and our timeline for OS updates is not frequent. Please take this into consideration and understand we aren't purposely trying to upset you. We're only being transparent so you are educated and informed.

Now, let's keep this thread on topic.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
I don't believe I'm off-topic when I say that it's completely impractical to have a thousand presets and no categories. Categories are the absolute most logical (rather than subjective) seemingly feasible missing feature.

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
+1 on he poly unison request.

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
I don't believe I'm off-topic when I say that it's completely impractical to have a thousand presets and no categories. Categories are the absolute most logical (rather than subjective) seemingly feasible missing feature.

I should have also mentioned, repeating a feature request will not make it happen any faster. Whether or not you think something is impractical or feasible has no bearing on the request, and your assumptions about ease of implementation do not automatically mean you are correct.

Speaking to your specific request, it is possible to organize your programs yourself via the onboard copy/move/save functions, a free hex editor, or one of the available software editors. Multiple solutions exist now. It simply requires you to put in the time to set things up specific to the way you like them.

*Edit: added another organization method.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:19:23 PM by Robot Heart »
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM