Feature Requests

Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
Sequencer Midi Out

Transpose the sequencer on the fly WITHOUT having to hold down the record button.

Please and thanks.

OMG I didn't know you could hold the record button to transpose! Thank you so much. I'm using this feature now and I don't personally think I'd like it to transpose without holding something since you can play along to a sequence then transpose it only when you want to.

Then again, if you wanted to play along to it you could just make a split patch and be able to transpose sequence with one finger. There should be a choice to toggle 1 finger transpose within params somewhere.

In the meantime though, you can one finger tranpose a gated sequence its just much harder to program in notey things on the fly.

E: I just noticed the hold record to transpose works kind of strange. Its not based off the first note in your sequence, rather the sequence is sort of locked to c2 no matter what notes you played, so transposing on the fly requires a bit of thought unlike the unison chord mode which is much more intuitive. This brings me to another suggestion.

I'd love to be able to use the ARP on a chord held my unison chord mode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:25:30 AM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
There aren't any plans to allow recording to both sequences simultaneously. The copy function that has already been pointed out is the workaround, and there are numerous use cases where you don't want to record to both layers together.

--

As you've noticed sequencer transpose is based on middle C as a reference point, so transposition moves out from there in either direction when new keys are pressed.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
There aren't any plans to allow recording to both sequences simultaneously. The copy function that has already been pointed out is the workaround, and there are numerous use cases where you don't want to record to both layers together.

--

As you've noticed sequencer transpose is based on middle C as a reference point, so transposition moves out from there in either direction when new keys are pressed.

Well... why should recording to both layers be a problem for cases where you do not want to record on both layers? ... I was talking about recording to both layers, when the Edit Layer B button was blinking only, which is the normal way of editing both layers at the same time...

But I can understand that this is not likely to happen, so I'll just move on... thanks for the answer.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
There are so many great ideas in this thread!!!   While I'm happy with my Rev2, I would gladly pay for future firmware upgrades if some of this "new feature stuff"  could be implemented.

DSI:  Would you consider investing in new feature development time, if you monetize it?   How about a v2.0 OS upgrade for $100 or even $200?    I would gladly pay for new features and functionality for my REV2, and I bet others would as well... 

My top wishes:
1. Add a second, select-able HOLD / latch type that holds just most recent simultaneous key triggers / chords
2. Development of some sort of preset categorization / grouping (pads, leads, bass, ambient drones, drum, arp seqs, etc...)
3. More options with the effects section and more effects
4. Some better indicator for original / saved settings for parameters along with current setting.
5. Tempo sync'd LFO as described by beatmaster would create some great tempo sync options.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
That's not really our business model, so I'm going to say it's highly unlikely we'll ever charge for feature requests or firmware upgrades. Admittedly, there are always tons of great feature ideas. I've written some detailed responses regarding feature requests in some other threads so I won't go into detail again here, other than saying not everything that is suggested can make it into the instrument. I know that's not the answer you're looking for but I'm just trying to be as transparent as possible.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »
Yeah, I get that its not currently your business model.. but maybe something to consider / chat about with Dave. 

I am happy with my Rev2 (and PEK and P12).  You guys make really good synths... But there does seem to be a good amount of software/firmware possibilities that could take some of your instruments to next level status.  I get that some stuff is not possible due to memory or processor restrictions, but some of it does seem possible, and just requires programmer resources.

I'm not sure if you guys follow what Fractal Audio is doing in the Guitar Modeling and FX area... but they really set a gold standard when it comes to continued development of their products.   You "buy into" their Axe-FX II hardware unit, and you can pretty much expect that every month or two the unit will be significantly improved with new effects, new amp models, new modeling techniques and advanced options.   Their founder and lead developer, Cliff Chase, is basically worshiped by the entire user base (Fractal Audio Forum), and if you look at their growth and adoption of artists, you see that they are completely changing the paradigm for guitar amp and effects sales.   I don't know their financials, so can't say that their business model is the best out there, but it sure seems like it, when you see how fervent the user base is, and how every couple weeks they have new major artists endorsing them.  (3/5 of best rock album Grammy noms are Fractal Audio endorsers)

Anyways, again, I'm a happy customer... would just love to see more software/firmware development and a philosophy of "leaving no stone unturned" in that realm...  if its possible with the hardware architecture, find a way to make time resources to develop it,... and if you need to, just monetize it... I would happily pay for continued development of new features.   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:49:15 PM by creativespiral »

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
Just voicing an opposing point of view as I'd very much not want to have to pay for the "DLC" pack to get updates to my synth. It would leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth and I'd probably steer clear of a company that did this.

I can understand this on a device like the H9 where it is explicitly stated when you purchase the beginner model that you will be paying for additional algorithms but this would be something entirely different.

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »
Very good suggestions here!
for me most important would be:
1. A louder Subosc
2. Saving patches and Comparing: Show the Name of the Compared Patch
3. Enable a second Effect, when not Stacking or Splitting
4. Tweaking the Sequencer. For example: The Korg Mini/Monologue shows a graph of Modulated Parameters. This is super handy!
5. Start a New Patch with taking all the states of the Knobs.
6. Indicate a not Used LFO by taking of its indicator LED

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »
So pleased so I feel almost embarrassed to ask for something...
I had a long post a while ago about getting the voices in sync with LFO. It would be nice if that could be done with a shortcut, like a "2-button-click" instead of...
-turn of layer (if split or stacked)
-press unison button while holding misc params (this is shortcut to that area in menu)
-turn unison mode to all of your available voices (8 or 16)
-turn on unison
-turn on key sync on lfo then press a note. The lfos are now synced.
-turn off key sync and turn off unison

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
Hi creativespiral-

One of the most difficult aspects of my role as a forward facing representative is that my personal views are more aligned with "no stone unturned". As a customer of plenty of gear I fully understand and sympathize with your position. But, all I can do here is convey the company practices so you guys know how things operate, and give my best guess on how likely or unlikely it is that something will happen.

Again, I won't get into it here as I've written at length on this very topic and to the exact points you bring up in multiple other areas of the forum, so I encourage you to seek those out if you'd like more detail. I am glad to hear you're a happy customer and otherwise enjoying your Rev2 as well.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »

I'm not sure if you guys follow what Fractal Audio is doing in the Guitar Modeling and FX area... but they really set a gold standard when it comes to continued development of their products.   You "buy into" their Axe-FX II hardware unit, and you can pretty much expect that every month or two the unit will be significantly improved with new effects, new amp models, new modeling techniques and advanced options.   Their founder and lead developer, Cliff Chase, is basically worshiped by the entire user base (Fractal Audio Forum), and if you look at their growth and adoption of artists, you see that they are completely changing the paradigm for guitar amp and effects sales.   I don't know their financials, so can't say that their business model is the best out there, but it sure seems like it, when you see how fervent the user base is, and how every couple weeks they have new major artists endorsing them.  (3/5 of best rock album Grammy noms are Fractal Audio endorsers)

I use the Axefx XL in my studio and for live, two Fractal AX8. What you fail to mention is that pretty much all these many many free upgrades change every preset you have meticulously programmed into the unit and you are expected to reprogram them again every time.
As a professional, that is not great. Both my AX8 are on an old FW as I just cannot be bothered having to update all my own live sounds every time there is an update.
I don’t think many in the synth world would find that acceptable. It’s the only brand I own/owned where this happens.

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »
Robot Heart - thanks for the insights... yeah, I've followed all the discussions for Evolver, P12 and Rev2 going back through the years to the early days of the old forum.   I get where you're coming from...  love all my boards!... and looking forward whatever is next!

Vinnyburns - Every now and again I see someone post a response about the "hassle of getting updates" in regards to Fractal... makes no sense though, as you're not forced to update... If you're happy with your Fractal presets as they are, don't upgrade to new firmware.   For every one person who complains like you, there are a hundred who are ecstatic to have the updates, and willing to spend a few minutes to fine tune their presets for any changes.   I think if you look at their artist list, its hard to make a case that Fractal is doing anything but the best in the industry.   Anyways, this is not a forum for Fractal, so no sense in discussing it here... but if you wanna post in their forum, and complain about the hassle to of free updates to a world class piece of hardware, be my guest...

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »
Very good suggestions here!
for me most important would be:
1. A louder Subosc
2. Saving patches and Comparing: Show the Name of the Compared Patch
3. Enable a second Effect, when not Stacking or Splitting
4. Tweaking the Sequencer. For example: The Korg Mini/Monologue shows a graph of Modulated Parameters. This is super handy!
5. Start a New Patch with taking all the states of the Knobs.
6. Indicate a not Used LFO by taking of its indicator LED
+1
Having a second effect when not stacking would be number one for me but I agree to all of them.

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »

Vinnyburns - Every now and again I see someone post a response about the "hassle of getting updates" in regards to Fractal... makes no sense though, as you're not forced to update... If you're happy with your Fractal presets as they are, don't upgrade to new firmware.   For every one person who complains like you, there are a hundred who are ecstatic to have the updates, and willing to spend a few minutes to fine tune their presets for any changes.   I think if you look at their artist list, its hard to make a case that Fractal is doing anything but the best in the industry.   Anyways, this is not a forum for Fractal, so no sense in discussing it here... but if you wanna post in their forum, and complain about the hassle to of free updates to a world class piece of hardware, be my guest...

Nice passive aggressive answer. :-)
The fact that the Fractal fw updates normally contain a crucial bug fix blows your little argument out of the water.
I use their stuff professionally. I love using it live. You fit right in with the 90% fanboy posters on their forum.
Here I am using my Fractal stuff professionally.

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
So, would the consensus be that pretty much all the major annoyances have now been ironed out now on  the Rev2?
Is it time to eBay/sell my Pro 08?

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Vinny - you are in the super-minority with your first world problem... for every ungracious user like you, there are a hundred other Fractal users who would disagree with you.  The majority of updates don't even require changes to presets, or just a simple reset of a block or adjusting a new parameter dial.  If you can't spare a couple minutes of your precious time to adjust your custom presets when updating, then just stay on an existing firmware... some people do that and are perfectly happy, even on pre-quantum fw.   Fractal's level of dedication to improvements and the quality of updates is world class, as evidenced by their rapidly growing artist list. http://www.fractalaudio.com/artists.php .   I have never bought any product of any sorts that improves over time like theirs.  I will admit to being a "fan" of that.  Anyways, if you want to further complain about their updates, start a thread in the Fractal Forum and we can debate it over there.

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
Let's stay on topic here. As suggested, any further discussion of Fractal Audio should occur in the "Other Gear" forum or elsewhere off site.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:56:37 PM by extempo »
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
Just received my Rev 2 - 8 Voice and I'm loving it so far. A few features I would like to see added:

1) More effects! Bitcrush,ping pong delay,ensemble. Decimate and hack from the Prophet 12.

2) Ability to use two effects if only using one layer. This would open up a huge amount of new sound creation.

3) Category search. Almost seems necessary with over a 1000 sounds and would help me a lot when searching for a certain sound.

4) The ability to transpose each layer individually. That's how my Nord Lead works and I love it.

5) If you have the full 16 voice version...layer C & D. Each layer is 4 voice. Not sure if this is even possible,but it would absolutely sell me on the 8 voice expansion card. I loved that the Tetra could do a 4 part multi,but I hated the interface. Still only 2 effects,but each layer could be routed to effect A or B, AB, BA or none.

6) The ability to route effects to more than one layer. Say I have reverb on layer A and on layer B I want to use a delay and the same reverb from layer A.  Routing A or B, AB, BA or none. Not sure if this possible either.

That's it for now. I'll post more as I dig deeper.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2017, 02:03:16 AM »
Not a that necessary feature maybe, but I really miss the voice LEDs on the REV2, which are present on all other polysynths from DSI... I think DSI left them out because of cost savings, but they were always handy to get a quick visual representation of what voices is being used... I know they cannot be added now, but maybe, if DSI had the time, they could implement a visual representation in the OLED display somehow... I'd like to see that.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
Not a that necessary feature maybe, but I really miss the voice LEDs on the REV2, which are present on all other polysynths from DSI... I think DSI left them out because of cost savings, but they were always handy to get a quick visual representation of what voices is being used... I know they cannot be added now, but maybe, if DSI had the time, they could implement a visual representation in the OLED display somehow... I'd like to see that.

Me too. On my Oberheim Matrix 6, there are small dots at the bottom of the VFD display, showing which voices are being used. It could very well be implemented that way too on the OLED display of the REV2.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340