Prophet 600 - $999 at Guitar Center a good deal?

Prophet 600 - $999 at Guitar Center a good deal?
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »
So... it looks like I missed out on this Prophet 600 on GC's website, but I had it in my cart yesterday and just wanted to do a bit more research.

I haven't had a chance to play one in person, but they sound great IMO.  But my main concern was whether it would overlap too much with my OB-6, since the online demos have a brassier sound than the P5.

Was this a good deal I missed out on, or would a P8 or Rev2 be better anyway?  I've only briefly played both of those, and never heard any of the classic 80s Prophet timbres that I've heard on some of the 600 demos.  That said, the Rev2 is ridiculously awesome, but one of these days I just want to own an 80s Prophet, and nothing I've heard has exactly that sound.

Re: Prophet 600 - $999 at Guitar Center a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
MODS: worth moving to Other Hardware?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Re: Prophet 600 - $999 at Guitar Center a good deal?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
If everything is in working order, I'd strongly recommend that you get the Gligli upgrade fitted (http://sequentialcircuits.com/prophet600teensy.html), which makes a pretty big (positive) difference in terms of the synth's functionality / sound, due to the nature of the unit's software-generated envelopes / LFOs, etc.

The T8 and the Prophet 600 were the last of the two-VCO Sequential polysynths; the CEM3372 filter ICs are the same as those used in the Oberheim Xpander / Matrix-12, Akai AX80, etc., and the CEM3340 VCOs were used in the Prophet 5 / OB-Xa / Roland Jupiter 6 and many others.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000