DAW and midi integration

DAW and midi integration
« on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:25 AM »
Hi,

In my workflow i usually sequence and record with Ableton. I'm using the Soundtower application to switch between programs and tweak parameters.

But my problem is that I can't have both the Soundtower app and Ableton use the USB midi interface of my REV2 at the same time.

If i open the Soundtower app before Ableton, there's no MIDI connection available, and the other way around. This makes this process pretty much unusable.

Soundtower support says: "This is not how the Editor normally behaves. It must have been something in your system blocking the communication but it is not how it normally works."

Does any of you have any ideas of how i should do it instead? Or even if this is normal behaviour?

Thanks!
JH

Re: DAW and midi integration
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 04:22:55 AM »
I thought that was normal behaviour, but will try running the Soundtower editor and Sonar tonight.  I have a Korg Nanopad that does the same - I can either have the editor running or Sonar, but not both (and it does say this in the Nanopad's user guide).  It might be a limitation of the USB driver / Windows.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
Hi,

In my workflow i usually sequence and record with Ableton. I'm using the Soundtower application to switch between programs and tweak parameters.

But my problem is that I can't have both the Soundtower app and Ableton use the USB midi interface of my REV2 at the same time.

If i open the Soundtower app before Ableton, there's no MIDI connection available, and the other way around. This makes this process pretty much unusable.

Soundtower support says: "This is not how the Editor normally behaves. It must have been something in your system blocking the communication but it is not how it normally works."

Does any of you have any ideas of how i should do it instead? Or even if this is normal behaviour?

Thanks!
JH

I think this is also "normal" behavior when using direct instrument USB MIDI. The first application that grabs the port, blocks access to the rest. That is why in some cases I prefer to use "normal"  MIDI interfaces. Often the drivers allow sharing of MIDI ports between applications, currently I am using a Midiman Midisport 4x4. Which works fine when sharing. I am talking about Windows systems here, I am using Bitwig versions 1 and 2.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Can you use virtual midi to connect it to your DAW and the editor? Something like LoopBe1?