Expression/Volume pedal for Prophet 08

Expression/Volume pedal for Prophet 08
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
Hello All,

I am looking for an expression/midi volume pedal to connect to my Prophet 08 and control prophet parameters and more importantly, VST parameters. Although the one's that fit my budget for now are the Yamaha FC7, Korg EXP2, Roland EV-5 and Moog EP3, I am left wondering which one will work best with the prophet in terms of curve, range, compatibility or has better features/ergonomics, springs etc? Or any other pedal that I can go for?

Would be great to know what other prophet owners are using and get some advise before I buy.

Thanks you! :)
Regards,

Re: Expression/Volume pedal for Prophet 08
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:23:58 AM »
Moinmoin,

pedal controllers are a very personal matter, so if You already use one with another instrument, rely on Your experience.
If it will be Your 1st pedal controller, try some at a store (friend, collegue, ...)

My personal experience is that all issues are related to mechanics: Feel, force needed, max. angle, some pedals even let You tweak these parameters. And don't forget robustness: You will kick it or at least step on it ;)

The worst thing that could happen to me is a pedal with light touch, that won't keep the angle if not explicitly operated, but YMMV.

Electrically, all pedals will work, if they are connected to the stereo plug like this:
  • tip = wiper
  • ring = hot end
  • sleeve = cold end (ground)
But this is quite standard to my nowledge.
HTH

Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:39:22 AM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I wish there was some way to try out all these. I did try the FC7 and EXP2, but not connected to a prophet08. The moog pedal reportedly works well with the prophet but I could not find anyplace near me where I can try it out.

What pedal do you use with your Prophet08?

Thanks!

Quai34

• FORMER PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT-BONIFA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
I use FC Yamaha for all volume, on Stage 2, Control pedal, swell pedal, idem on the C2. For expression pedal on filters for example,  I use the Moog Exp. both super robust, range works perfectly: Have them on my P08, P12, NL2X.
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:01 AM »
Moinmoin,

sorry to answer late, but had something to do in real life ;-)

I use different pedals for different purpose. I do know and use a Moog pedal, which is great, but for the P'08 expression input even some cheap Thomann-pedals (under the "Lead-Foot" brand) work for me. According to the user-manual P'08 heavily low-pass-filters the expression pedal/CV input, so You will not need premium pots in the pedal for that purpose.
Volume pedals (in the signal path) are different animals, however. Being also a bass player I love the ebs bass wah-volume-pedal. (Don't call me a snob, it is only that I am fairly old and things tend to gather...)
But as said: You need not be snobistic regarding the P'08 pedal/CV-Input.

HTH

Martin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:07:14 AM by MartinM »

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
The Yamaha FC-7 has a logarithmic pot in it, so it is designed for volume control. The other ones u mentioned are all linear. It looks like just about any linear TRS pedal will do. There is a list here http://www.expressionpedals.com/list-of-expression-pedals
I guess it will come down to how the pedal feels for you and its features. There are some points about whats good here ->
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/best-expression-pedal.131603/#post-1575432