PW Mod

PW Mod
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
Would it be possible in later firmware update to make the PW modulation go harder? I mean if i route an LFO to modulate the shape with the amount maxed at 127 i dont get the same acoustical result if im turning the knob on my own left & right..

Re: PW Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:43:40 AM »
Can you use a mod matrix slot with the same LFO as source and same Shape Mod (PWM) as destination to double-up the modulation depth?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: PW Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
Would it be possible in later firmware update to make the PW modulation go harder? I mean if i route an LFO to modulate the shape with the amount maxed at 127 i dont get the same acoustical result if im turning the knob on my own left & right..

I don't have a Rev2, so I don't know if anything I have to say will help you.  But I know that on the Prophet '08, modulating the pulse width to a "0" or "100" degree in which the sound is so nasal as to be cancelled is a matter, not only of setting the LFO Amount, but also, of starting the pulse width at the right point in the oscillator section.  My practice has generally been to modulate from a pure square ("48"), and then to set the LFO Amount to about "60".  Shortly beyond "60" it begins to cancel.  But there are all sorts of PWM flavors you can reach by changing the oscillator setting and the LFO depth. 

I know of one video in which the maker claimed the P'08's PWM was poor and couldn't compare with that of the Prophet 5.  Indeed, the P'08 did sound poor, because he had poorly programmed it; that is, he wasn't properly controlling the two ends of the modulated pulse width.  Effective PWM comes down to the careful setting of a number of parameters - not only where it ends, but also, where it begins.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:41:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »