Volume Issue with Brand New P6 1.4 OS

Volume Issue with Brand New P6 1.4 OS
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi,
I just bought a brand new P6 which has v 1.4.0 OS.  All of a sudden the unit is acting strange.  While in a selected patch and playing the keyboard, the volume all of a sudden drops to very low levels.  Pressing the patch number key sometimes brings the volume back to the initial level, but then drops.  Very frustrating. 

Do I need to return this unit, is this a 1.4.0 issue or is it a known issue?

Thanks,
Mohsen

Re: Volume Issue with Brand New P6 1.4 OS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
Try disconnecting all I/O from the back of the synth, except the Main outputs or headphones for monitoring. That's all MIDI/USB cables or footswitches/expression pedals you may have connected. If you still experience the same exact behavior, then contact our dedicated support channel: support (at) davesmithinstruments (dot) com and we'll troubleshoot further with you.

If it only occurs with one or more of these connections, it's probably a matter of configuration, and not a hardware fault.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »
I removed all I/O, even the main outs and just used phones, and still have the issue.  I even tried from an external midi controller keyboard, and still same thing.  I have already written to support, so I am hoping to get a reply, otherwise will have to send it back to where I ordered it from.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
btw, I tried two Global Reset, which didn't help.  I also tried loading a previous version of the OS (1.2) and that also didn't seem to help.  Reloading OS 1.4 also didn't help.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:12 PM »
The one thing that I tried (from hints in conversation with support) was to put the Pot Mode to Bypass instead of JUP and that seems to have at least addressed this issue.  However, now I am experiencing something others have mentioned over at GS, which is the strange clicky distorted sound on some of the patches.  Not the smooth sailing I was hoping for.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:59:52 AM »
This is the problem I had with my P6. The board may have to be replaced.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Yup, ended up returning my unite for a replacement from Musicians Friends, which I have to say were great in their return policy.  Too bad DSI support didn't follow through once it did look like I had a faulty unit on my hand.  The new unit is working fine right now, and am hoping it will stay that way as I love the sounds of P6.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Too bad DSI support didn't follow through once it did look like I had a faulty unit on my hand.

From our support system it looks like we were actively troubleshooting with you, which I don't believe is equal to us not following trough. Still, I'm glad it was smooth for you to get a replacement unit through your dealer. Have fun!
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:35:25 AM »
Hello

I have just got a P6 module and I use it with Ableton 10 live through USB.

Any idea about why sometimes the master volume drops to very low level without pressing any key or modify any parameter? Apparently it happens when you leave the synth playing alone for a long time... As soon as I touch the knob of the master level down and up it is normal again.

Think it can be related to my Mac OS but not sure and would appreciate any comment on this.

Thank you!

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:03 AM »
Any  idea?

The volume only drops very occasionally and I tried using the P6 module sequencer only with headphones without any conexion and it works well. 

Usb, midi clock, etc...  same as usually with the rest of my gear and Ableton 9.6... could you please tell me how do you have your parameters with the P6 and Ableton?? The P6 version is 1.31.

Thank in advance

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »
Any  idea?

The volume only drops very occasionally and I tried using the P6 module sequencer only with headphones without any conexion and it works well. 

Usb, midi clock, etc...  same as usually with the rest of my gear and Ableton 9.6... could you please tell me how do you have your parameters with the P6 and Ableton?? The P6 version is 1.31.

Thank in advance

Did you switch local control to "off" when you used the Prophet-6 with Ableton?

You may also wanna try to update the OS. Version 1.4 can be found here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-the-prophet-6-os/

If the problem persists, contact DSI's dedicated support channel: support (at) davesmithinstruments (dot) com.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 02:59:22 AM »
Hey Paul,

Thank you for your answer.

The fact is that if I turn local control to off I canīt use any parameter of the synth, for example filter cutoff or change presets. I read that this is a bug when using the P6 with Ableton so will try to update to V 1.4 to see what happen.

Probably the P6 is working well as nothing happened if I use the sequencer without any connection only headphones and the problem comes from the midi implementation with Ableton but I was curious to see if this volume decrease also happened to someone else.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »
Hey Paul,

The fact is that if I turn local control to off I canīt use any parameter of the synth, for example filter cutoff or change presets. I read that this is a bug when using the P6 with Ableton so will try to update to V 1.4 to see what happen.

Probably the P6 is working well as nothing happened if I use the sequencer without any connection only headphones and the problem comes from the midi implementation with Ableton but I wanted to know to see if this volume decrease also happened to someone else.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »
Hey Paul,

Probably the P6 is working well as nothing happened if I use the sequencer without any connection only headphones and the problem comes from the midi implementation with Ableton but I wanted to know to see if this volume decrease also happened to someone else.

You would mostly use "local off" for avoiding any sort of MIDI loop that can cause unwanted MIDI messages constantly being sent back into the Prophet-6. Other things you could double-check are the settings of Ableton live, where you define what MIDI commands are being sent and received, and/or your external instrument settings for the Prophet-6.

If the Prophet-6 behaves as expected when not connected to MIDI as you said, then the Prophet-6 is doing fine. So the problem has to lie somewhere in the MIDI interaction with Ableton Live.