Using the CV Outputs with Dreadbox NYX

Using the CV Outputs with Dreadbox NYX
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »
Heyhoo

I'm trying to use my new Dreadbox NYx together with the Pro 2. For now I managed to send CV Signals with the LFOs, ENVs etc. to the NYX and its working great. But what I dont get, is how I can play the NYX via CV on the keyboard of the Pro2 or via a sequennce comming from the Pro 2. Of course I tryed as written in the manual and chose "Note Number" as source and a CV output as destination. Amount to 127. Then into the CV In of the NYX. But nothing happens when I play the Keyboard. Any Idea what I'm dooing wrong? Its a shame since everything else works flawless when sening over CV.

Re: Using the CV Outputs with Dreadbox NYX
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
Not sure what the pitch range is on the NYX, but try shifting the octaves down on the Pro 2 just to make sure you're not out of the NYX's range. Just a simple test. May not be the problem.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Not sure what the pitch range is on the NYX, but try shifting the octaves down on the Pro 2 just to make sure you're not out of the NYX's range. Just a simple test. May not be the problem.

I just got another Feedback on the DSI Pro 2 Facebook page, that I need to connect the Gate output to the Gat in on the NYX. In the Manual thats not written. But gona check that out.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »

I just got another Feedback on the DSI Pro 2 Facebook page, that I need to connect the Gate output to the Gat in on the NYX. In the Manual thats not written. But gona check that out.

Right - if you're driving the Nyx exclusively through CV / Gate, you'd need the, errm, Gate!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »

Right - if you're driving the Nyx exclusively through CV / Gate, you'd need the, errm, Gate!

Hehe...yeah...stupid me. Its working now, just needed to set the DC a bit offset to tune it properly. But the NYX is behaving strange now. I can play the notes properly and play the sequences right from the Pro 2...all good. But somehow the Modulators (ENV / LFO on the NYX) are not working at all or not as should. Neither does the Glide work anymore. Very strange...any idea what this could be? Is it something common, that when using CV / Gate it can influence other paramters as well?

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:09:31 AM »

Hehe...yeah...stupid me. Its working now, just needed to set the DC a bit offset to tune it properly. But the NYX is behaving strange now. I can play the notes properly and play the sequences right from the Pro 2...all good. But somehow the Modulators (ENV / LFO on the NYX) are not working at all or not as should. Neither does the Glide work anymore. Very strange...any idea what this could be? Is it something common, that when using CV / Gate it can influence other paramters as well?

I'd test this on another CV/gate synth, if you can, though you could always use MIDI.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

I'd test this on another CV/gate synth, if you can, though you could always use MIDI.

Yeah, I did that as well and just using the CVs for ENV, LFO etc. But I couldnt manage to make the Sequencer playing the NYX with Midi. I can play normaly from the keyboard and the Arp is working too. But when hitting play on the Sequencer nothing happens. Anything special to consider when using the sequencer via Midi?

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »

Yeah, I did that as well and just using the CVs for ENV, LFO etc. But I couldnt manage to make the Sequencer playing the NYX with Midi. I can play normaly from the keyboard and the Arp is working too. But when hitting play on the Sequencer nothing happens. Anything special to consider when using the sequencer via Midi?

In order to have the Pro2's sequencer output MIDI notes, you must use a track with the destination set to one of the "MIDI Out" destinations. Track 1 doesn't output MIDI note data on it's own. If you have a sequence of notes on track 1 that you want to transmit to another piece of gear, copy track 1 to another track and then set the copied track to one of the "MIDI Out" destinations. Also make sure to set the copied track's velocity to a non-zero value.

Additionally, remember that if you're using MIDI Out 2, you must have your Globals configured to where the MIDI Out/Thru port is set to Out and not Thru.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 04:43:53 AM »
Do not know if you fixed this yet, but make sure the Pro2 is NOT sending  a gate signal of more than 5volt... higher may very well damage the NYX ... the Dreadbox synths are very vulnarable when it comes to the patch points... connecting an output to an output actually damage the unit permanently.
If you need me, follow the shadows...