how to use ob6 editor with a daw

how to use ob6 editor with a daw
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:22:34 AM »
Hi,

I bought an ob6 module yesterday :) and im trying to figure out how things work and I would really like to see the settings for the presets. On my lead a1 there is monitor button where I can see the setting of all parameters but there is no such thing on the ob6 so I downloaded the editor from soundtower. My ob6 is connected to a usb hub where my usb keyboard is also connected. The problem is I can only use the ob6 in a daw because I have to configure the routing of my usb midi keyboard to ob6 otherwise i get no sound so I cant use the editor in a daw simultaneously because the ports are blocked. Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Jdoo

Re: how to use ob6 editor with a daw
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:59:21 AM »
Congrats on your OB-6.  My setup is slightly different, but I can give my experience with the SoundTower editor.  I have to connect directly from my OB-6 module USB to my Mac for SoundTower to work.  Going through my hub doesnt work.  I Also go MIDI out from my controller to the OB (not using USB for MIDI).  Another thing to note, iirc - the SoundTower editor is not fully functional with the demo version.

hth -

Joe

Herr Schmitz

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
I think Soundtower posted Tutorial videos that show how you need to proceed.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
On my lead a1 there is monitor button where I can see the setting of all parameters but there is no such thing on the ob6 so I downloaded the editor from soundtower.

You are correct, the OB-6 doesn't have a way to display current parameter values. However, it does have the little dot that shows up in the display when you change a parameter and cross the original saved value. A little patience and some knob tweaking and you can make every knob and button reflect it's stored value without the software.

The SoundTower editors never fully capture the state of the hardware anyway. The FX are always wrong and my LFO sync button is usually wrong. I only use the stand alone version as a librarian. Even then, I have to ensure that all the settings are correct before I save with the software. I use editors with many synths...Sub37, the Minitaur, Roland Integra 7 (a very complex synth), JD-XI (another complex synth) and all those other editors at least capture the state of the hardware correctly. Shouldn't that be "A #1" as far as priorities go in a software editor? Plus, all the other editors were free of cost. I still do Sysex dumps as back ups for all my presets just in case.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:06:31 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)