Arpeggiator/sequencer beat sync?

Re: Arpeggiator/sequencer beat sync?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
You could tap tempo it.

No, it's not the clock, it just won't re-trigger on the next beat, but starts on key-press only, so unless you're an android (possibly a cyborg will do, but unconfirmed) and can hit that chord perfectly on time, it'll be out and continue to "drift" out of time the longer the master sequence (on another synth) runs.

The Sequencer in jack apparently will sync it, but it's a bit archaic and finding a 5V pulse source isn't something the modern electronic studio has in a world of MIDI and DAWs.

notionsdepartment

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
I've got to agree that this is a helpful feature that seems like it shouldn't be a big deal to add.

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
I agree that having a beat sync option for the arp and sequencers would be a great feature. For those of you with absolutely flawless, robotic-level timing, this feature could still have a lot of potential for even your advanced performance flow.

For example, in arp latch mode you could enter your arp changes ahead of time so that when the downbeat hits and the arp changes to the new notes, your two hands could already be free and working other parameters elsewhere...directly on the downbeat when the arp change happens. No matter how amazing your timing is, if you have to be worried about hitting the arp change on the downbeat, it's very unlikely that you are fast enough to have your hands ready elsewhere if you want parameters to modulate on the downbeat along with the arp change. 

This type of beat sync feature is very standard in the controller and dj world, which a lot of folks have become very used to. I think adding this feature would help keep this amazing synth in line with techniques that many of us have become accustomed to using. So, rather than turning this into a pissing contest of who has the most flawless timing... the real point to me is: beat sync would make parts of this synth immediately more accessible to less skilled players, and simultaneously would allow highly skilled players to go even further than they could without this feature.

It's not a deal-breaker for me by any means... but, I think it's becoming more and more a standard feature that I would always welcome.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Another +1 for beat sync! 

In the mean time... I get around it by turning off the 'local control' on the rev2, then receiving the midi notes via USB in Ableton, using the Max4Live arp tool, then sending the midi back to the Rev2 via USB.  It's a bit annoying to have to do this, but the advantage is being able to do more complex arps with velocity, swing and notes. 

Pym

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
It's basically working in the Prophet X now (Although not in the 1.0 release it will be released soon) and it should get ported back to some of our older instruments, namely the Rev2, OB6 and P6
Sequential

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:18 AM »
It's basically working in the Prophet X now (Although not in the 1.0 release it will be released soon) and it should get ported back to some of our older instruments, namely the Rev2, OB6 and P6

YAY!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear that there might be some updates for some of DSI's older gear. Hopefully this includes the sequencer transposing without having to hold down the record button.

dslsynth

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »

Very good to hear that! Would it be technically possible to port this feature to Prophet 12 and Pro 2?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

jg666

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »
Another vote for this to be applied to the Rev2 and the Pro2 please :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

aeonn

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »

Best news ever ! I can’t wait to play with it !

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
I find that such a feature would certainly be useful for using the Arp as a live performance oriented feature for sure... and honestly, it cannot be the most complicated feature to add... the ARP is already there, and it's basically just a bit of code to delay the start of a held chord so that they fall precisely on the internal (or external) tempo.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Djinn

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
+1 me2 really would love beat syncing and root note arp

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Not sure I'm interpretting the manually correctly, but wouldn't sending a 5V clock pulse to the SEQUENCER jack (and having Trigger set in the Global Settings) beat sync by advancing the arp/sequencer steps in time to the pulse?  You wouldn't have to "start" the arp with the keyboard I don't think.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
Not sure I'm interpretting the manually correctly, but wouldn't sending a 5V clock pulse to the SEQUENCER jack (and having Trigger set in the Global Settings) beat sync by advancing the arp/sequencer steps in time to the pulse?  You wouldn't have to "start" the arp with the keyboard I don't think.

Yes you can already use the SEQUENCER jack to achieve arps that are perfectly synced to the received clock pulses.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »

Yes you can already use the SEQUENCER jack to achieve arps that are perfectly synced to the received clock pulses.

Will they Beat Sync though? 

1. setup 5V audio pulse (coming from drum machine, which is also the master MIDI clock for brevity sake) into SEQUENCER jack configured as Trigger in Global REV2 settings.

2. Turn on a simple 4/4 groove drum machine.  Bob head.

3. Turn arpeggiator on REV2.

4. Play a chord on REV2 that's slightly late to the "1" on a 4/4 groove.

Will the arp play immediately, in real-time, and therefore out of sync or will it wait until the next pulse is received?

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
A new note from your arp will sound every time a pulse is received. It's always in sync with the received pulse.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
A new note from your arp will sound every time a pulse is received. It's always in sync with the received pulse.

Ok, so in my scenario, the first note will be off, but subsequent notes will be in sync?

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

This is awesome news, thanks!!!! Digging the new encoder behavior as well, I really appreciate all the work you all are doing to perfect this beast. Love it!

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 01:23:43 AM »
and honestly, it cannot be the most complicated feature to add... the ARP is already there, and it's basically just a bit of code to delay the start of a held chord so that they fall precisely on the internal (or external) tempo.

W.r.t. to beat sync: I don't think it's that trivial to be honest. If you need to delay the start of a held chord, there's the need to "remember" that last held chord while something new is pressed already, and the need to ignore any new key presses during that delay (ignore only for sound generation, not ignoring it for adding it in some "prepare for execution buffer"). I wouldn't be surprised if this actually requires a different basic design of the synthesizer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:27:31 AM by shiihs »
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
Got my Keystep unboxed, fired up tonight.  Ran Sync Out to Sequencer In on the REV2, set Global to Trigger.  Beautiful beat sync.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
Got my Keystep unboxed, fired up tonight.  Ran Sync Out to Sequencer In on the REV2, set Global to Trigger.  Beautiful beat sync.
I am quite new to Synthesis and want to ask you which cable are u using to synch the beatstep to the rev 2? Thank you in advance.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice