How long does oscillator calibration take?

How long does oscillator calibration take?
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »
I accidentally selected oscillator calibration and my new rev2 16 voice is locked up. Manual says not to power off to prevent damage during calibration however it's been 6 hours. Please advise.

Re: How long does oscillator calibration take?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
There is no danger (danger meaning potential damage) in powering off mid-calibration. Nor is there any danger in powering off mid-OS update (which I think is what you're referring to from the manual); you just might have to reload the OS in a special manner if this occurs. So, have no fear that power cycling will cause damage in any way, shape or form.

Regarding the oscillator calibration hanging, try disconnecting all MIDI/USB cables and footswitches/expression pedals that may be connected to the back of the synth. Then, clear the calibration data by holding both Transpose Up/Transpose Down and pressing Global. The first selection here is the option to Clear Calibration. Select this option. Then, navigate back to the normal global menu and try calibrating again. It may take several minutes to calibrate all 16 voices, but generally speaking it's pretty quick.

If it does not complete fully, contact our dedicated support channel and we'll get you sorted out.

One thing to note about the oscillator/filter calibration in the Prophet Rev2 is that it's a "set and forget" kind of operation, and for the vast majority of users, the calibration that's performed at the factory is the only one that's necessary for the life of the instrument.

I hope this helps! Do follow up and let everyone know whether or not this was successful for you, if you don't mind.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
Great! Thanks for following up with your results.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Extempos' method work for my REV2 that was stuck on calibration. Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »
Bumping this thread because i am curious how long the calibration takes. I just updated the firmware on mine and then proceeded to calibrate it but it seems like it's been stuck for a couple hours with this on the screen:

VOICE...1
OSC 1...1
OSC 2...

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Calibration of all 16 voices should not take more than a few minutes. If it gets stuck, simply follow extempo’s advice.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why is it necessary to take out all cables except power, when doing the calibration? Is this really needed?

Also, why does the calibration generally take longer when the device has reached working temperature, and why is the calibration faster, just because the calibration data has been erased?

I too run into a stop in the process a few times, and has just been wondering about these things... No other DSI devices I have had, has had this behavior.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »
... and why is the calibration faster, just because the calibration data has been erased?

In my case I have observed the opposite, the calibration is always faster if the calibration data table hasn't been erased.
I had assumed that it was because the calibration algorithm take into account previously saved data and use it to check its validity, and if not then proceeds to calculate a new one (which might take longer to do of course) ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
... and why is the calibration faster, just because the calibration data has been erased?

In my case I have observed the opposite, the calibration is always faster if the calibration data table hasn't been erased.
I had assumed that it was because the calibration algorithm take into account previously saved data and use it to check its validity, and if not then proceeds to calculate a new one (which might take longer to do of course) ?

I assume these things as well... which is why I was hoping that DSI might give a few words on the topic... especially that part with "take out all cables" because it's really annoying to have to do this, especially if it's not needed... I've never seen any other synths (even DSI ones) claim that you have to take out all the cables first... thus I'm wondering why this should be necessary... if the electrical parts of connected devices can actually have an impact on the calibration?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »

Also... when you calibrate, do you do this right from a "cold synth" or do you let the synth warm up first? ... I'm a bit perplexed as why DSI is not telling users to wait until the synth has warmed up before doing the calibration because if you do not, then the filter in self oscillating mode will not be correctly tuned... it'll work right after you turn the REV2 on, but when it has warmed up, it then becomes out of tune with the cutoff frequencies... I rely heavily on the filters being in perfect tune in many programs I create.

Maybe this is why you experience it the other way around compared to my experiences? ... because if I calibrate from a cold synth, the calibration is A LOT faster than if I wait half an hour before doing that... and it does not matter if the calibration data has been erased or not... the only reason I've found for erasing the calibration data prior to calibrating is when the calibration routine freezes up... but even then, just a power cycle and a second try may run thru the calibration process fine... for some reason the calibration routine of the REV2 seems a lot more quirky than any other DSI calibration routines on their other synths...

I'm sometimes wondering, if the REV2 is storing more than one calibration data setup... if it somehow can sense the ambient temperature inside it, and then save different calibration setups for different ambient temperatures, and then "interpolate" between them depending on the ambient temperature at any given time maybe? .... say you run the calibration at power on (cold synth), and it then stores this set, and then if you run the calibration again half an hour later and this is also saved, then maybe it will stay in tune at any ambient temperature from when you switch it on, and until it has warmed up? ... just a thought...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:50:48 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »
I don't know either why they would recommend to unplug any cables.

Even though the filter in the CEM3396/PA397/DSI120 is analog, I believe the control voltage for filter cutoff frequency is generated digitally in the REV2 and then converted to a CV by a DAC  before sending it to the chip. So I don't think that waiting for the synth to warm up is as critical as with other synths relying on current source converters very temperature sensitive.

And, of all the analog synths that I've had, the REV2 is the first to be able to cover such a wide range of precise frequency control of the filter cutoff when tracking the keyboard.

As for multiple temp tables, it's very possible that a similar scheme to the one used in the P6 and OB6 for the VCOs might be taking place in the REV2 for the filter cutoff frequency tracking.

I also wish someone technical from DSI could shed some light on this ?

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why is it necessary to take out all cables except power, when doing the calibration? Is this really needed?

I don't why but mine got stuck during calibration as well. After power cycling and removing the cables it completed the calibration first time. It is a pain though. So DSI, why no cables during calibration?
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »

Probably to avoid any voltage current feeding to the circuit. Calibrating while the OSCs could be receiving CV whether directly or via MIDI>CV converter wouldn't make sense.

extempo mentioned it's not something that needs to be done frequently so it's not a big deal to yank out a couple of cables.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »

Probably to avoid any voltage current feeding to the circuit. Calibrating while the OSCs could be receiving CV whether directly or via MIDI>CV converter wouldn't make sense.

extempo mentioned it's not something that needs to be done frequently so it's not a big deal to yank out a couple of cables.

No it's not frequently... DSI even say that it may only be needed once in the synths lifetime... and still, after every OS update you're told to recalibrate the filters so it's a bit hard to know what to believe.

Still... I'd like to hear DSI's answer to my questions... I hate guessing ;)

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 02:12:44 AM »

but even then, just a power cycle and a second try may run through the calibration process fine...

Glad I found these posts. My 2 day old Rev2 desktop locked up during Calibration. You guys gave me the confidence to reboot the unit, despite the manual's warning. There are no transpose buttons on the desktop, so didn't know how to erase the calibration data, so it was good to read that this step could be skipped.  Anyway, unplugged the single midi cable, rebooted and this time it calibrated within a couple of minutes. Thanks guys.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 02:39:04 AM »
I think that it is about time that someone at DSI explain to us how this callibration routine actually works because it seems that this power-switching is a common thing... it happens EVERY TIME my REV2 has been warmed up.. .it freezes during calibration... it happened on both my REV2's, and others are witnessing it as well.

DSI... please...

1. WHY is this happening, and why will it only work right from a power cycling of the machine?

2. WHY is it necessary to take out all the plugs before the calibration?

3. WHY is there a need to have a feature in the service menu, that erase all the calibration data? are the REV2 saving more than one set of calibration data according to ambient temperature?

4. Can the freezing of the calibration be fixed via software?

5. How do you enter service mode from the module version of the REV2?

I really think it would be nice if you answered these questions...

Gomjab

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
I think that it is about time that someone at DSI explain to us how this callibration routine actually works because it seems that this power-switching is a common thing... it happens EVERY TIME my REV2 has been warmed up.. .it freezes during calibration... it happened on both my REV2's, and others are witnessing it as well.

DSI... please...

1. WHY is this happening, and why will it only work right from a power cycling of the machine?

2. WHY is it necessary to take out all the plugs before the calibration?

3. WHY is there a need to have a feature in the service menu, that erase all the calibration data? are the REV2 saving more than one set of calibration data according to ambient temperature?

4. Can the freezing of the calibration be fixed via software?

5. How do you enter service mode from the module version of the REV2?

I really think it would be nice if you answered these questions...

I remember seeing an answer to number 5.

The problem is I forgot the key combo and where I saw it posted!  :-[  I own the keyboard version so didn’t commit it to memory.

It was probably a comment made on these forums. 

Gomjab

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
Found it! 

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,2586.msg28197.html#msg28197

Roberth909 figured it out!

Does anyone know how to get to "debug mode" on the desktop version?  There are no Up and Down buttons, because there is no keyboard and no quick local transpose.  I'm having odd voice issues, I'd like to reset the calibration.  Thanks!

Found it!  Random button pushing.  LFO 1, LFO4, Global.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:23:26 PM by Gomjab »

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 07:01:37 AM »
the "disconnect midi and footswitch cables > hold transpose up down" and clear calibrate cache and calibrate again trick really worked well. thanks.