Issues with ableton live

Issues with ableton live
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
I always used my tempest as standalone up to today, when I hooked it up to my new ableton-centered setup..  few issues came up and hope someone can help me out:

- non matching tempo: tempest, set as slave, reads a slightly different tempo than the one live is pushing out: 90.3 rather 90 bpm. I noticed A reverse similar issue when using the tempest as a master connected to a matrixbrute: the brute was reading a slightly faster tempo coming in.

- noticeable flange on notes: just to check sync, I recorded a simple bar with a kick on fourths: a clear flange is audible, like the same note is triggered multiple times within a millisecond time frame (I  checked, it's not a midi loop issue). No problems at all with the other synths hooked to ableton.

Thanks in advance for your help: also If you found a specific strategy for the tempest/live that in your opinion works well, please share ^_^

RobH

Re: Issues with ableton live
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »
Midi slaves never read an exact time they bounce around up and down, this is normal and expected.

Make sure your updated to the latest Os and see if your issues remain.

RobH

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Also midi flange can happen when the note is triggered twice at the same time, you can get around this by assigning a voice to that pad so the voice doesn't play on top of each other, this can happen when for instance you have some notes entered into the sequencer and then you roll over the top a flange will occur if the pad being used isn't assigned a voice.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks, I will try this but I forgot the most important thing: with tempest set as slave, saved beats seems to play at twice the original speed, even if it read the (almost) correct bpm coming from ableton: any hint?

RobH

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Thanks, I will try this but I forgot the most important thing: with tempest set as slave, saved beats seems to play at twice the original speed, even if it read the (almost) correct bpm coming from ableton: any hint?

Yeah no, sorry can't help with that i'm afraid my Tempest goes at normal speed its clocked to. You could maybe go in the settings and turning midi din sync off, or usb, depending on how your syncing it? USB from soundcard?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
Thanks for your replies: in the e d, after several trial and errors, the problem seems related to the midi interface: tried another one and problem vanished. Now I have to read what guys at MOTU have to say ;-)