Browsing programs by type

Browsing programs by type
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:57 AM »
Hi,

The Prophet REV2 is my first DSI instrument. I'm extremely happy with how it sounds.

On the device, isn't it possible to browser programs/patches by type? E.g. pads, leads, bass etc.? Much like on the Sub37 for example.

Or is this only possible with the soundtower application?

Thanks in advance!
//Julius

Sleep of Reason

Re: Browsing programs by type
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
This really should be how things are organized. I'm not sure how you're supposed to find anything from the 1024 programs or how this is even remotely acceptable to players in 2017...

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
This is the main reason why I bought Soundtower's editor ... you see and manage your sounds by type. Being used to my Analog Keys, this is also something I miss.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
This really should be how things are organized. I'm not sure how you're supposed to find anything from the 1024 programs or how this is even remotely acceptable to players in 2017...

Likewise.  I love this instrument and am happy to have it.  And while I, begrudgingly got Soundtower and thinking about things remotely acceptable in 2017, couldn't help wondering what Trump would do?
Beauty Originality Simplicity Sincerity Discrimination

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:24:33 AM »
Wow, that's old school for sure. I really hope this is addressed in a future update...

It's necessary to find/browse sounds without booting up your computer.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »
Are you having problems with the Soundtower sound editor not being able to open a MIDI connection to the REV2?

I can't use the application at the same that i'm sequencing from Ableton for example. This is quite a problem.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
It's a brilliant selling point to be able to boldly proclaim you have a whopping 512 presets and 512 user locations. Except there needs to be some fine print giving the killer caveat, "good luck finding a needle in a haystack."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:57:46 AM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
I too begrudgingly have just purchased the Soundtower editor, I was hoping for a VST version but Soundtower folks would not answer any emails or FB message on the subject! I suspect their will be one at some stage and they'll expect me to part with more cash, not sure why they didn't sell a standalone and vst together like many other software companies!
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
I too begrudgingly have just purchased the Soundtower editor, I was hoping for a VST version but Soundtower folks would not answer any emails or FB message on the subject! I suspect their will be one at some stage and they'll expect me to part with more cash, not sure why they didn't sell a standalone and vst together like many other software companies!

I got confirmation from them that they're working on a REV2 VST version, but they can't confirm release date. so i guess there's hope.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 07:50:01 AM »
Can we get someone from DSI to at least acknowledge this issue?

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Yes, better programme access would be very useful. Especially in a gig situation.

kobuz

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
Browse by type would be nice but it's not unheard of having them scrambled on a hardware synth. Not on my moog, Roland or virus at the least.

Not the answer you're looking for, but copying patches is very easy. I use one of the user banks to collect the factory patches I like together so I don't have to search to find them back. I guess that's also a pretty good way having them thogheter for live situations.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Browse by type would be nice but it's not unheard of having them scrambled on a hardware synth.

This is not really a good excuse though, especially considering the plethora of presets available these days. The Moog 37 for example has 1/4 of the preset locations and even it has categories.