What's the best LFO Shape for Pan effect?

LoboLives

What's the best LFO Shape for Pan effect?
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Trying to get sort of a ping pong type panning effect on one of the sounds. Random seems to get close but it still doesn't go Left-Right-Left-Right etc" It's...well...random "Left Left Right Left Right Right etc"

Any suggestions?

RobH

Re: What's the best LFO Shape for Pan effect?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
Triangle

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Triangle

What would you recommend as the Rate and Amount? I tried Triangle but it doesn't seem to do the ping pong effect.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
For sure. Triangle or Square. Turn "Sync" on, then set LFO's speed to taste. And set its start/retrigger point on "Beat", i guess.

RobH

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
Triangle

What would you recommend as the Rate and Amount? I tried Triangle but it doesn't seem to do the ping pong effect.

What do you mean by ping pong effect? Triangle will make it bounce from side to side back and forth and Square will make is jump from side to side, set a good amount (100+ to really hear it i guess) and adjust rate to taste. If you can't hear the back and forth maybe check that your soundcard is set to stereo pairs and not individual mono ins making everything mono.

To hear this better make a tone that is constant and apply the effect. Set the pan to centre to begin.

edit - Also maybe check your mod matrix that something else isn't effecting the LFO rate throwing the consistent left-right-left off. Also rate wise if your not using "sync" amounts between 1 - 100 are nice then after that it gets pretty fast heading into audio rate range. I can record what i get when i do this if your still not getting what you expect so you can hear if things are right.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:58:55 PM by RobH »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
Triangle

What do you mean by ping pong effect? Triangle will make it bounce from side to side back and forth and Square will make is jump from side to side, set a good amount (100+ to really hear it i guess) and adjust rate to taste. If you can't hear the back and forth maybe check that your soundcard is set to stereo pairs and not individual mono ins making everything mono.

To hear this better make a tone that is constant and apply the effect. Set the pan to centre to begin.

edit - Also maybe check your mod matrix that something else isn't effecting the LFO rate throwing the consistent left-right-left off. Also rate wise if your not using "sync" amounts between 1 - 100 are nice then after that it gets pretty fast heading into audio rate range. I can record what i get when i do this if your still not getting what you expect so you can hear if things are right.

I'll give that a shot. I'm just getting either too fast of an effect or barley an effect at all. I'll try once more, thanks.

RobH

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
Triangle

I'll give that a shot. I'm just getting either too fast of an effect or barley an effect at all. I'll try once more, thanks.

If your using sync try without it you get a much smoother range when your trying to dial it in.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:49:41 PM »
I can't remember exactly how it works but it's possible that with automating pan you have to pan the sound as 'left' as you want it and then set the mod amount as desired.

I seem to remember some LFOs go from - 1 to +1 and others (square maybe) go from 0 to +1.

Then again I could be talking bollocks.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »
I can't remember exactly how it works but it's possible that with automating pan you have to pan the sound as 'left' as you want it and then set the mod amount as desired.

I seem to remember some LFOs go from - 1 to +1 and others (square maybe) go from 0 to +1.

You may have just solved my issue lol. My issue was because the sound had a long release, the tail end of it was bleeding into the opposite speaker instead of just doing a stead LEFT pause RIGHT pause LEFT pause. So I'll try this panning technique when I get home today, thanks :)

RobH

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »
Depending on how complex your melody is you can always try going into the mod matrix and assigning Note Number or Pitch > Pan and play with the amounts until one note plays in one speaker and a different note in the other, i remember trying this and i found out that if you make a few lines with the same destinations in the mod matrix so like

Note Number >-14 Pan
Note Number >+58 Pan

You can dial it in some more. I can't remember if it was Note number i was using for this or if it was frequency but i do recall managing to get a nice stero spread as i played notes they fired from all different posistions across the speakers!

Also make sure that you check yout mix in mono if its going to be played in a club you can lose a part that sounds great in stereo then just dissaprears or loses volume or sounds shit if it hits a mono system so defo run a mono check of it when your finishing up.

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
Depending on how complex your melody is you can always try going into the mod matrix and assigning Note Number or Pitch > Pan and play with the amounts until one note plays in one speaker and a different note in the other, i remember trying this and i found out that if you make a few lines with the same destinations in the mod matrix so like

Note Number >-14 Pan
Note Number >+58 Pan

You can dial it in some more. I can't remember if it was Note number i was using for this or if it was frequency but i do recall managing to get a nice stero spread as i played notes they fired from all different posistions across the speakers!

Also make sure that you check yout mix in mono if its going to be played in a club you can lose a part that sounds great in stereo then just dissaprears or loses volume or sounds shit if it hits a mono system so defo run a mono check of it when your finishing up.

IT's actually an incredibly simple beat. Just a white noise/timpani sound.

It's this theme I'm doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpeWMlAUUWY

Except the white noise hits I want bouncing from ear to ear. So Right pause Left pause right pause.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »

You may have just solved my issue lol. My issue was because the sound had a long release, the tail end of it was bleeding into the opposite speaker instead of just doing a stead LEFT pause RIGHT pause LEFT pause. So I'll try this panning technique when I get home today, thanks :)

Yeah, sounds to me like you want a square wave which I think should be panned left and set mod amount to modulate it right.

I had issues with this whereby the LFO didn't sync exactly with the beat so you got an annoying glitch as the pan swich happened just slightly after the sound was triggered. You can fix this by adjusting the 'delay' of your envelopes (esp the amp envelope). Might be better in latest firmware.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
Why not try both? I think you might be able to get some extra control if you used both LFO's, one set to Square and the other set to Triangle w/ different amounts.

I've been loving the different panning effects you can get. Even routing Noise->Pan in the Mod Matrix (granted, a very tiny amount) can add that little something extra to a patch.

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
What I ended up doing and what actually worked better was I copied one of the sounds to a different pad and panned both pads in different directions and hit each and the correct interval during the beat. Worked like a charm.

RobH

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:35 AM »
What I ended up doing and what actually worked better was I copied one of the sounds to a different pad and panned both pads in different directions and hit each and the correct interval during the beat. Worked like a charm.

Did you assign a voice so they didnt overlap? Thats a good idea actually for complex panning

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »

Did you assign a voice so they didnt overlap? Thats a good idea actually for complex panning

Yup. I'll post a cover of Soldier March when I get the chance.