Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?

Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Right from the start, I found that keyboard velocity was the weakest point in the OB6. Unfortunately, with this synth, I find it impossible to play a succession of soft notes at the same loudness level. It always sounds very uneven. Also, I am not able to go evenly from softer notes to louder notes.

I played around with the 7 different velocity curves (OS 1.1.4) but I don't get satisfying results with any of them. In the end I settled for curve 5 which only generates velocity values between 50 and 127. That means losing almost half of all velocity values, but at least I don't get those annoying jumps between softer and louder notes.

I am guessing the problem with the OB6 is not in the keyboard itself because using an external master keyboard doesn't help much. I think the problem must be in the way velocity values are translated into VCA and cutoff frequency values.

Is anyone else unhappy with keyboard velocity? Do you think using an external keyboard makes a difference?

I wonder if this is something that DSI could improve with a future OS update.

Re: Are you happy with keyboard velocity in the OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Can't tell you about velocity,  but I do know that using my PO8 keyboard into the OB6 yields a much smoother (linear) aftertouch.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »
I know this is an old post but i also think the velocity curve for the OB6 are not really usable .
I have the Rack so its not the Keyb. It always sounds uneven so unfortunately i just dont use velocity at all.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 11:15:12 PM »
I am a new OB6 owner and I agree with you. Velocity curve 2 is the most usable for me.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
Old OB6 owner here. I always switch the Amp Envelope Velocity Sensitivity off, because it does not seem playable to me. Just tried it again, after having had piano lessons for a year. Same impression. I also think the general curve, how a certain velocity value affects loudness, could be improved.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 11:34:03 PM »
Desktop module here. I agree with this completely. Got in the habit of simply turning amp envelope velocity off. The filter envelope velocity works perfectly though. Love how it responds when playing from the Rev2. Almost seems like the amp envelope needs a separate/additional parameter setting for velocity instead of being tied to the amount knob.

Old OB6 owner here. I always switch the Amp Envelope Velocity Sensitivity off, because it does not seem playable to me. Just tried it again, after having had piano lessons for a year. Same impression. I also think the general curve, how a certain velocity value affects loudness, could be improved.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 07:27:35 AM »
+1

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »
I've never really thought much about it so I guess it seems fine for me.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 06:44:11 AM »
Hey everyone,
this is my first post on this forum. 

I recently bought a used OB-6 (it's out of warranty) keyboard version.  I tested it on purchase and found nothing disturbing.  I did an upgrade to OS 1.6.6 and yesterday I noticed that one key works completely different than the others.  Produces much more velocity for the same impact.  Practically max 127 when pressed not too hard.  The other keys, regardless of the curve, almost never make 127. This is especially noticeable if I use the keyboard as a control keyboard and play Arturia Piano V2 on my PC. Almost every time Forte Fortissimo. Produces much more velocity for the same impact. 
The keyboard (that one particular key) transmits higher velocity values.  I recorded the sequences in Reaper and I can see that the F# (in second octave of the keyboard) key is almost always 127. It's still dynamic, it can play quieter and louder, but it works differently.  If it transmits the notes from outside to OB-6 then it reacts normally.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong with the volocity sensor in this key, is it subject to any adjustment, can it be fixed somehow?  Anyone know?

In this case, curve 2 seems to be the most practical for me, it increases the velocity of the rest of the keys and the problem with my instrument is not so audible.

For testing preferences, I recommend Arturia Piano V2, or similar where on the graph you can observe the velocity of the keyboard at a certain moment of the playing, then you can choose a good curve for yourself.  I am surprised that no curve of 7 gives high velocity values, I don't know how hard I would have to hit the key to reach 127, it's almost impossible. The arrangement of the curves also seems strange to me because I do not see the consequences when selecting numbers 1 ... 7, as if they were arranged randomly.

I will be very grateful for your help, maybe there is some method of adjusting a single key. Or maybe it is a bug in OS? I am not able to say not how it was with an OS 1.2.0. Or maybe I can istall older version and check?

Regards Radek
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:04:28 AM by Radek »

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 08:59:54 AM »
Problem fixed thanks to Mark from Sequential Support. Thank you!
Conectors on Midi keyboard plate were dirty. Now all works perfect.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
Every time I read/hear a story like this I am thankful for the excellent support that Sequential offers. Gives me confidence for the future of my Sequential instruments! This kind of user fix just wouldn't even be an option on many synths. Enjoy your OB!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 10:53:14 AM »
Hello,
A new OB-6 keyboard owner here. I was also struggling with the velocity curves and first disabled the velocity-amplitude modulation from my sounds, but thanks to this thread settled for curve no. 5 that at least doesn't produce silent notes, but still allows for dynamic playing.

Also did some testing and found out the following values:

OB-6 velocity curves & values
0:  1-127
1: 10-127
2: 16-127
3: 33-127
4: 33-127
5: 50-127
6: 33-127
7:  1-127